Thread: Nosler Solid Base Bullets and larger game

Default Nosler Solid Base Bullets and larger game

Hi all,

My brother ask me how Nosler Solid Base Bullets do on larger game such as elk or moose. I have never used them, so I need some advice for him. I'm hoping you all can help me. Thanks for the Info. : )

Ron

While I have no experience with shooting game with them, my understanding is that they open a little slower than Ballistic Tips but are otherwise pretty close in performance to them. From what I've read of them I consider them to be whitetail bullets and would opt for something more substantial on larger game unless the velocity was kept down. I understand that they are being discontinued again. I use seconds for practice bullets in my .270 and they are quite accurate.

I believe that Solid base became the Ballistic tip. They are very accurate and flat shooting. I used them in .270 for a couple of seasons years ago when anticipating long shots. Whilst stalking some distant deer, i scared a buck out of his bed and shot him at approx 40 yds. Bullet made a bit of a mess of the ribs, but then broke apart and sent shards in to the shoulder (ruining meat) and punctured the gut as it behaved like a varmint bullet. I think that they would be fine for a specific purpose of long range (200yds plus) deer but given the nature of hunting variables I think that they are just about useless for hunting. I still use them for accuracy testing as they provide cloverleaf groups. Apparently they are more robust in .338 caliber and up but I just don't believe that they can be as good as a partition.

Default solid base and BT

Short and simple for both the Solid Base and the Ballistic tip --- NO, not for big game! OK for target or varmint. This opinion based on multiple experiences of careful examination of wound channels of game shot with both types of bullets.

I agree with George 100% they should be outlawed on any game bigger than a ground hog.

Gotta differ on SB, but agree on BTs. I have used the BTs "forever" in 25, 7mm and 30 cal for long range shooting on deer and elk. Really superb performance on game if impact velocities are below 3000 fps. I bought up a couple of thousand SBs in each caliber when they stopped production, simply because I found the BTs were not a good substitute for my brand of shooting. I'd say if you held impact velocities below 2700-2800 fps they'd do better, but I'm not going to face up to that till my thousands of SBs are gone.

Haven't tried either on moose, and never would. That's why I also have a big stock of partitions in those calibers and larger.

Thumbs down Explosive bullets...

....they should be regulated by OSHA.

Kinda funny, I still have several boxes of solid base and Ballistic tip bullets in various calibers. This down at the frog farm where we hunt deer each fall. My Son-in-law loaded some of the BTs in one of his rifles and shot a young buck with one. He likes them because they are so accurate. It was explosive. The fragments find there way through every organ and gut. The shoulder meat was emaciated. Pre ground hamburger. It was a mess. I then issued a decree that from that day forward no one would be allowed to hunt deer on the farm with any ballistic tip bullet. So they have been banned in at least one hunting area because of their explosive nature. They do kill smallish whitetail rather quickly. I took a small spike that year also and did much less damage to the carcass with an iron sighted 308 with 150 grain Lapua Mega bullets. That is a very good deer bullet. A lot like an old Remington core-lokt, stays together and mushrooms perfectly.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default As Always.....

As Always, thanks for the load of good info. I called him and said the "crew" from Alaska said no on big game with solid base noslers.

Thanks

Ron

Insightful comparison with the Remington Corelokt Murph, and a sure sign you've shot a fair bit of both.

I started messing with the SBs originally because of poor performance of partitions on lung shots at long range, usually in smaller calibers at over 300 yards. They simply didn't open reliably in calibers like 243, 257 Roberts, 7x57, 300 Savage and 308 Win. I was looking for performance more like the Corelokt at those velocities. At that point in time it was hard to find Corelokt for reloading, and the SBs were a whale of a lot more accurate in the bargain.

I suspect I should give the BTs more of a chance for shots way out there, but in the meantime I have plenty of SBs. I bet almost anyone loading today's super premium bullets in small cases will regret their choice when faced with a truly long shot. As I recall Nosler brought out the SB not only because it was more accurate than partitions and price competitive with conventional bullets, but also because of partition failures at low velocities. If partitions fail to expand on lung shots at long range, imagine what's happening with the really tough bullets available today.

Thumbs up SB vs BT

In my experience the Solid Base Nosler offers slower expansion than the Nosler BT. Very much like the Sierra Gameking in performance on game. Although a accurate bullet, I suggest the Nosler Accubond with accuaracy of the BT and the added insurance of a bonded bullet make a great combination. and saves meat also......I will be using them in my 338 Win Mag 225gr AB again this moose season.
    Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by alaska bush man View Post
    In my experience the Solid Base Nosler offers slower expansion than the Nosler BT.
    I will agree with that. I have a bunch of the SBs and still like them a lot. I think of the plastic tip of the BTs as an accelerator for expansion. The SBs are much slower to expand and retain weight much better. The SBs are not tough bullets for tough game, however.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?