Thread: wintertent stakes

Default wintertent stakes

looking for new ideas for our interior frozen hard rocky ground with light super dry snow in winter. Dead mans not much good.

9" or 10" or 12" Steel Nails

Yep, big spikes (nails), pieces of rebar or military arctic tent stakes

s-l225[1].jpgIve used all of the above and also these framing construction spikes if weights not an issue, they come 3/4" X 18

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawkranch View Post
    s-l225[1].jpgIve used all of the above and also these framing construction spikes if weights not an issue, they come 3/4" X 18
    Round Form Stakes like those are mighty expensive to use as something that you might not be able to free from the frozen ground until spring. Just saying.

If you look online at home depot, they're under $6 for a 36"er that can be cut into 3 stakes. nail spikes and rebar worked for me but get pretty bent up. Military tent stakes are stout and work good but I have a $1200 tipi/stove that I use a little longer stake so I don't worry that I walk into camp on a windy night and find it in a torn/twisted mess. I have access to a forge so the ends can be bent L shape to get some leverage on. BODAK could spend a few bucks and test it in his front yard while the grounds frozen.

What do you have for a tipi BHR? I've been thinking of getting or making a lightweight one for a backcountry hunting camp. I can cut spruce poles on site. The missus has a canvas tipi and that is definitely not something I want to try hauling out to hunting camp.

Kifaru 12 man

I set up my tent on a pond or swamp that is solid ice. Use eyed lag bolts...pound em in the stick a screwdriver through the eye and twist on in. Use some for my plane too. They work great.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Anyone try using lags and a impact driver? I’d like to use my tipi for ice fishing

thanks

I would think ice screws like the ones that came with my eskimo ice shelter would work pretty good.