Thread: Resetting Honda transmission

Default Resetting Honda transmission

My Rubicon transmission needs reset. The display flashes and it has no power. This happens after getting really bogged down in thick mud (I've got 27" Mud Bugs and I guess the tranny ain't up to turning them--never had the problem with stock tires)

I know there's a sequence of pushing the ESP buttons that will reset it; a Dealer gave me the page from the service manual a few years ago, but I've misplaced it. Anyone know the sequence?

PM me your phone # and I'll talk you through it. I type too slow.

I think if your rubi won't turn those tires, you have bigger problems. That machine has no problem turning aggressive tires.

It turns the tires just fine, but when it gets really bogged down, the transmission goes haywire. once the tranny's reset, it does fine again

You can find out EVERYTHING you need to know about keeping your Honda going down the trail at Highlifter.com. Thousands of Honda riders sharing their information on the honda forum.

Quote Originally Posted by AKRoadkill View Post
    It turns the tires just fine, but when it gets really bogged down, the transmission goes haywire. once the tranny's reset, it does fine again
    I noticed in an old post that you were trying to find out how to reset the error code for the transmission on a 2001 Honda Rubicon. I am having the same problem with mine and was wondering if you had found the reset code and if so would you be willing to give it to me as well. I think that I am having the same problem you had. The gear lights are flashing, no power and reverse just makes allot of noice and jumping when I back up. I had his problem in October as a result of my neighbours son using it to tow without putting it in ESP mode. The honda dealer fixed this for me and explained that it was an error message that prevents the transmission from getting damaged. They fixed it and it has worked fine but my neighbours son used it again for towing and same problem has arose. I am trying to avoid making the 60 mile trip to the honda dealer just to have it reset. Is there any chance you can help me out with this?
    Thanks
    Suddsy

Default Su

Suddsy,

Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you...I was deployed for the last 6 months. I'm trying to figure out how to get the thing fixed now.

The sequence I found is:

With the machine off, press both up and down shift buttons and hold them in.

Turn the key on and let off the buttons, then press Up, then down, then up.

Press the throttle all the way, listen for the noise of it resetting. Let off throttle and then roll the machine about 15 feet.

That don't seem to be working for mine right now, so I'm gonna do some more researching and trying until I get frustrated enough to take it to the shop.

Default Angle sensor

Well, I couldn't get it reset, so I took it in. It was a bad angle sensor ($90 part, $90 labor). I think it looks like a fairly easy do-it-yourself remove and replace, so if it happens again, I'll try to fix it myself and save $90 in labor.

Man thats good to hear! Now you just need to do something about staying home this summer so we can get out!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page