Thread: Valdez Silvers

Default Valdez Silvers

I'm planning a trip to Valdez and would like to know when the silvers hit that area. Does anyone know when they typically show up in good numbers? Thanks for any info provided.

Wink Valdez

My favorite time to fish Valdez for silvers is Labor Day Weekend. I imagine they are arriving a couple weeks prior to that. The bay will be cleared of fish the Tuesday following Labor Day by the commercial boys so the holiday weekend is about the last of it.

Default anytime in august

Antime in August starting out around jack bay and moving closer as the month moves along. But they are pretty much gone after the labor day weekend.

Bring your rain gear. Was there last year for 5 days and it didn't stop raining the entire time! All rivers filled up and push lots of trash and logs into the bay! Still, it is silvers in Valdez, nothing better!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Labor Day

Yes Labor Day is a hot time. This year the pinks are running hot and heavy, limit 12 in the port by EO. Probably start seeing them in Galena Bay around the 5th.

Silvers are still here after Labor Day. Fish Gold Creek as the seiners can not net in there. Big area and still fishable.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by LilsuLady View Post
    My favorite time to fish Valdez for silvers is Labor Day Weekend. I imagine they are arriving a couple weeks prior to that. The bay will be cleared of fish the Tuesday following Labor Day by the commercial boys so the holiday weekend is about the last of it.
    What are the regs for fishing for silvers in valdez? Can you fish for the them the same way you did pinks or is it mostly in creeks?

I fished for pinks this last weekend in Valdez, that was a good time with almost every cast getting a pink.

Default Regs

The regs are the same for any salt water fishing. You can not fish any of the streams in the drainage into the port. It is on the right hand side of the page, special regulations, I think.

Fish for them the same as pinks from shore. From a boat, pink lady, followed by a flasher, a dark green hoochie and a bit of herring on the hook.

Default where?

Do you fish from the beach or do you go out on a boat to fish silvers? Which is better during labor day weekend?

Default Where for pinks?

Where is the best place to fish for the pinks from shore. I hear a lot about Allison point. Any particular place on the point or any other area you recommend?

Will be there late July

Thanks

Smile Pinks

Charlie,

Last time I was there in late July the pinks were so thick up and down the entire allison point area if you didn't get one to bite quickly you would eventually snag one while attempting to retrieve your line. I like using a large egg pattern fly with no weight. It would stay up in the water column and you could see the salmon take it. Plus the fly rod was a lot of fun to use. The incoming tide before high tide is probably best but there were so many that I think you could catch them all day long. I did also cast a pixie a few times but seemed to snag as many fish as took it with their mouth. The sheer number of pinks there is amazing to see and you will not have any problems catching them. Enjoy and good Luck

I spent a summer down there a while back. The silvers that year did not show up in significant numbers till late august but the locals told me that was an unusually late year. The pinks however were thick. You could go out to the beach and catch them almost every cast.

Default Pinks

Quote Originally Posted by GregT View Post
    Charlie,

Last time I was there in late July the pinks were so thick up and down the entire allison point area if you didn't get one to bite quickly you would eventually snag one while attempting to retrieve your line. I like using a large egg pattern fly with no weight. It would stay up in the water column and you could see the salmon take it. Plus the fly rod was a lot of fun to use. The incoming tide before high tide is probably best but there were so many that I think you could catch them all day long. I did also cast a pixie a few times but seemed to snag as many fish as took it with their mouth. The sheer number of pinks there is amazing to see and you will not have any problems catching them. Enjoy and good Luck
    WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO CATCH PINKS (WHEN THEY ARE THICK AND BRIGHT)
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Pinks/silvers in Valdez

I was thinking of taking a trip to Valdez this summer; we'll be in Sterling at our place from July 18 thru Aug. 7. Is that a good time to visit Valdez for fishing? Not too picky when it comes to fish; if the pinks are bright & taken care of properly (iced & bled), they are good, even after 6 months in the freezer; I had 8 of them in my freezer and polished the last of them off about a month or so ago.
    Am I correct in thinking that it's an 8 hour drive to Valdez from Sterling?
    Also, is there any reasonable place to stay overnight? Seems like a 2 day excursion that we're thinking about. I heard Valdez is beautiful (actually is there any place in Alaska that's not?).
    Jim

Default Sorry

Sorry guys been working this summer.

I fish from my boat. Begining of August I am chasing caribou and sheep. From shore Allison Point can't be beat. Lots of people there. Very nice area thanks to Ted Stevens getting money for upgrading everything. Lots of parking now and much nicer all around.

Pinks are all over the place. No limit on them at all right now. Again, Allison Point if you don't have a boat. They expect over a 22 million fish return this year.

Silvers, no word yet. With this many pinks here, who knows. Usually mid August if you have a boat. Otherwise, Labor Day is always hot.

Default Pinks???

Pinks??? I thought they returned on even years???
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

I keep hearing people say pinks on even years where does this come from? I have always encountered pinks regardless of even or odd years. Are there actually places that only have pinks on even years?

I think the Susitna drainage gets the big runs in even years, and much smaller runs in the odd numbered years? If I remember right (was out of state for a few years), Valdez gets good runs both even and odd.

I primarily fish susitna drainages and have never noticed any difference. yes there are up and down years but the last 3 years all seem to have been about the same. some what lower then usual I think. Does this come from weir counts? I must admit my methods are not the most scientific.