Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Muzzleloader

Quote Originally Posted by sharps5090 View Post
    Brown Bear, do you want to sell that Traditions 32? I'm looking for a small rifle for my 6yo grandson. He just loves the muzzle loaders buy I don't hace anything small enough for him to shoot.
    Naw, I still like it enough to want it back in working order. Traditions is now advertising a lifetime warranty, so I need to negotiate with them again.

It's worth noting that Midway now lists the Crockett kit. Here is a link to it. Your grandson might get a real (and memorable) kick out of "helping" you build it up for him. I'm sure it would be his prize possession later in life!
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

I finished making the shooting bag for this rifle. Since it's a "gentleman's" rifle, I figured it needed a gentleman's shooting bag. This one is drawn from surviving examples from the same era and region as the rifle. It's a good match for my eye, and a good thing. After all, I'm the one who has to use it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Here's the story behind the bag.

I'm a lefty and wear it on my right side. I spent lots more time thinking and designing than I did cutting and sewing.

It's small (7"x7") compared to what lots of folks carry, reflecting many originals and my intent to use it as a "day" bag on casual day hunts rather than treks. No extra straps outside or any other danglies because of our brush. I'm making a small horn (about the size of a half a banana) that will drop inside along with a small knife, tool kit, balls and strip of patching. Lube will be in the rifle's patch box for a quick smear and a cut at the muzzle.

It's light leather (3 oz) for flexibility, but with welts and 10-stitch per inch spacing for seam strength. The gusset tapers from 1.5" along the bottom to 0 about 2/3 of the way up the sides for extra room in the bottom and a "closed mouth" kind of arrangement to help contain contents, even with no snap or button on the flap.

The bag is more or less "hour glass" shaped, narrower in the middle than the bottom or top with the front panel ending a couple inches below the flap seam. That was to narrow the top so the flap could be wider for weather protection while still having good support. There's an interior pouch on the back panel almost as wide as the bag and 2/3 the depth. I made a small leather box for rod tip accessories to drop into it.

After dying I used no "finish," but several coats of wax (Fiebings Atom wax of course) for waterproofing.

Small, sleek and dangle-free was my goal, styled to match the Leman. I almost duplicated the patch box engraving in a circle onto the bag flap, but decided to keep it all simple.

Perhaps most notable of all, this is one of the few projects I've ever made with no DNA marking!
    Merle Haggard

I like it! Really compliments that beautiful rifle. That really makes me want to get back into leather crafting. All I've made lately is a couple of round cappers. I've made a few bags but they've always been of the cruder rawhide strip stitched variety. How did you do the stitching on the bottom? Do you have a machine that can sew leather?
    Louis Knapp

Thanks!

The bag is sewn inside out and reversed before attaching the flap, so you're not seeing the stitching down there- just the end results. There's actually 5 pieces of leather going together to make that bottom, and it's all hand sewn. Wish I could explain it, but I'm not enough of a photographer or drawer.

Best thing to do is direct you to this book. Just about The Bible for making leather bags from the simple to the complicated. So well written and photographed, you'll find yourself taking on some pretty complicated bags just cuzz it looks like so much fun to do. And his directions actually WORK!
    Merle Haggard

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, and now Appleseeds!

That is one fine looking hunting bag. Rifle too.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Thanks!

The bag is sewn inside out and reversed before attaching the flap, so you're not seeing the stitching down there- just the end results. There's actually 5 pieces of leather going together to make that bottom, and it's all hand sewn. Wish I could explain it, but I'm not enough of a photographer or drawer.

Best thing to do is direct you to this book. Just about The Bible for making leather bags from the simple to the complicated. So well written and photographed, you'll find yourself taking on some pretty complicated bags just cuzz it looks like so much fun to do. And his directions actually WORK!
    Thanks. That looks like some good information there. I want to get the family into some leather craft soon, will probably be more toward winter. We'll probably start with simpler things. The thing I like about leather craft is that you can make some pretty nice looking things with rudimentary skills.
    Louis Knapp

Hey Louis,

A very good move, both for you and the family. I sent you some info in a PM. Actually two PM's. It was too long for one!
    Merle Haggard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234