Thread: Kenai Pen July 22-27

Default Kenai Pen July 22-27

This is a great site! I've been lurking a bit and figured I'd get to the point. My dad and I are going to be making our way down the Kenai Peninsula during this week and any input would be much appreciated. We are renting a Beauty Van and planning to stay at the Russian River Campground on the 22 & 23rd and are going on a halibut charter on the 26th out of Homer. Just curious where we can find some hot action and we don't care what for, reds, pinks, chums, rainbows, and char are all great. Also some info on camping spots would be great too. Thanks in advance.

Cliff

Default Camping/Fishing in KP

I recommend that you check in at either Centennial or Swiftwater Campgrounds in Soldotna. Expect crowds anywhere you go, but for camping and great sockeye fishing close by, you can't beat either of these...

Most all of the area lakes will be great fishing for rainbows and dollies.

Good luck

Thanks, I'll look at that. Another question for anyone out there, are there any places that rent boats on the Kenai? Also, how tricky is boating the lower part of the river. I'm used to boating on the Columbia which is more like a lake with lots of current and don't want to get in over my head if I do find a boat to rent.

Thanks,
    Cliff

Default Boat rental

Here is an outfit that rents boats: http://www.kenairiverfront.com/ There are definitely some areas that will take out a prop/lower unit if the operator is not able to read the river or isn't on his/her toes. Nevertheless, it is pretty simply to navigate. Best advice for a new to the Kenai boater is to follow the guides... they know the river and know where to fish. Most guides are more than willing to help out iwth answers and don't mind being followed...

During the time that you are looking at the Kenai will be very crowded in the more popular holes between 6:00 am and 3:00 pm. Regulations prohibit fishing out of a guide boat after 6:00 pm and before 6:00 am so it is not that crowded. Also, guides are prohibited from working on Sundays, so again another great time to be on the river.

Good luck,

I'd always suggest as a regular guy, that if you can get a guide for a day to learn the ropes. It will pay off in Big dividends. That way you'll see what to use, where to fish, get to pick her/his head. Just a thought.

Default Good recommondation...

As a guide, of course I would recommend the same thing, however, I would venture to say that you will not likely find a guide available for those dates at this point in the game, it is possible, but unlikely. Even the rentals may be sold out for this time.

Also, unless you already have tackle, by the time you get outfitted or rent the gear, along with the boat rental, you will already be up to the price of a charter (especially for only 2 folks).

Whatever the case, good luck on your venture. I think if you are just looking for bent rods and don't care if it is a king, red, or ???? The above suggestions will get you there.

Thanks for the replies. We thought about booking a guide but didn't get around to it early enough. I'm also cheap and figure what works on the rivers in Washington will probably work in Alaska so we decided to just try on our own. Hopefully we can stumble upon some smaller rivers and creeks with some early silvers, pinks, or chums as well.