Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many days

Default How many days

Do you all have a limit on how many day you will go out(straight) on the water before you get tired and sore? For me if I go out 3 days straight I'm spent.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Generally speaking 3 days running around, fishing and shrimping is enough to wear me out. I went on an excursion in early June and hoped to get out more than that but do to weather it turned out to be a relaxing time of camping more or less. I will be off this coming friday for another week long adventure so we will see how bad off I am when I get back

Default tired boaters

For me, it all depends on the boat. If I'm on my big boat, I can go indefinitely. A few days in a canoe/kayak poops me out. If the comfort level is higher, then the fatigue is lower, at least for me. SE Mike

Default sleep is over rated

I did 4 straight days out of Seward on the boat coming in every evening and cleaning fish/packaging. Even with getting a local deckhand at the Army Rec camp to do the fish cleaning for a tip, my threshhold was at its limit. I ripped off my right thumbnail on the first day using an improper tool (car key) to check my outdrive oil and it was useless the whole time. The sea bass and hooks had put several cuts on hands and it burned to put gloves on. I about passed out every time I hit my thumb on something. I only got 4 hours sleep every night by the time everything was done and took out fresh people every day. By the end of 4 days I was whipped. Its been 3 days now and my thumb is operational again. Its amazing how under appreciated that thing is until you cant use it.

Kammer
    22' Seasport

Default 4 days

Did 4 days on a bear hunt in June. Rained 3 out of the 4 days. I captained the boat, while my bud's dropped and pulled pots the whole time. If I had to do it all myself, probably could only last a few days. Although, being able to go to shore w/dinghy to stretch the legs does help.

AH

Quote Originally Posted by kammer View Post
    I did 4 straight days out of Seward on the boat coming in every evening and cleaning fish/packaging. Even with getting a local deckhand at the Army Rec camp to do the fish cleaning for a tip, my threshhold was at its limit. I ripped off my right thumbnail on the first day using an improper tool (car key) to check my outdrive oil and it was useless the whole time. The sea bass and hooks had put several cuts on hands and it burned to put gloves on. I about passed out every time I hit my thumb on something. I only got 4 hours sleep every night by the time everything was done and took out fresh people every day. By the end of 4 days I was whipped. Its been 3 days now and my thumb is operational again. Its amazing how under appreciated that thing is until you cant use it.

Kammer
    22' Seasport
    Man, sounds like you had a great trip!

I have a week planned out of Seward next month, it will be a good test. My experience has been on day trips, I extend the day to 17-18 hours to fit everything in, which pretty much wipes me out for the next day. On an extended trip, I guess I don't have to try to cram everything in so maybe I'll last more than one or two days.

SH

Yesterday we went out from Whittier about 7 AM and ended back about 8 PM. Coming back from Main Bay it was the comercials racing to get over there, which made the water a little rough getting back. They are fun to watch!

Cleaned fish and loaded the camper and just made the 11 PM tunnel!

Met Dman and Shrimp Pot guy. Great weekend!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

So I have a question. I have been mostly doing day trips like SH mentioned. Turns into a 20 hour day most times and am completely wiped out the next day.

When you guys are out for 4 days at a time what are you doing with your fish to take care of them? Especially out of Whittier where there are less options than Seward. I have been out on overnight trips where I just take a ton of ice and keep them in the fish box or cooler. Just wondering if there are any neat tricks out there.

To answer Garys question I have been out for 3 nights straight bear hunting and do fine as long as I am getting some sleep. Fishing might be a different story......
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I take a side trip to Blackstone Glaicer and snag a few pieces of ice in the water for my big cooler. I have a piece I picked up last Tuesday and it is still keeping the cooler nice and cold.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Went out cruising around Blackstone and Culross today. No fishing just sight seeing. I will be doing a 3 day fishing trip in Homer 19-22... Praying for good seas and weather....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Gray

I will be down there the 21 and 22nd. You gonna take some shark gear?

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    I will be down there the 21 and 22nd. You gonna take some shark gear?
    Yes I bought a leader this time.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

We just got back from a 5 day trip in the Sound and I wish we could have stayed out longer. Our boat is comfortable to sleep and cook on so I guess that makes a big difference. Also, I no longer go full out trying to catch fish. I fish and shrimp at a more relaxed pace now.

As far as what to do with fish that will be onboard for several more days - ice and snow. Bring plenty of ice to start with. If you are near tidewater glaciers, you got access to all you are going to need. If you aren't near any glaciers, keep a watch on the shoreline as you motor about. Avalanche chutes will often have a big pile of snow right near the water line all summer long. Bring a small shovel to dig up the snow (it will be hard).

Left last Tuesday out of Whittier and returned on Sunday. 6 days with a fishing buddy on his 22-ft boat. Whittier to Cordova to Valdez to Whittier (with a stop at Main Bay on the return). Got a slip at Cordova and Valdez. I think that the longer the boat was in the water, the smaller it got. That was about our limit. Great trip, though. Lots of orcas, Columbia Glacier, smooth water.

Man, you guys put on some miles. Way to go!. We were out there (PWS) last week for 5 days. Thats about all I had in me, being that I was the only guy with 2 girls (wife and daughter and two female labs). The Seasport (now refered to as the Estrogen palace) became a bit tight after 3 days, but still had a blast. Plenty of Fish and even more Shrimp than I care to haul.

Headed to Seward the next couple weekends and then to Homer on the 27th for a few days. Alaska Grey, keep us informed on the Shark activity.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
    Thats about all I had in me, being that I was the only guy with 2 girls (wife and daughter and two female labs). The Seasport (now refered to as the Estrogen palace) became a bit tight after 3 days, but still had a blast.

I don't know how you do it!!! I only have my wife with me most of the time, who I love dearly, but sometimes a "guy" trip is just what I need.

I hope the wife doesn't read this.....

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    I don't know how you do it!!! I only have my wife with me most of the time, who I love dearly, but sometimes a "guy" trip is just what I need.

I hope the wife doesn't read this.....
    I'm telling!!!!!!! HA HA HA J/K
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Tired

At my age I am usually tired by the time I get the boat and all the gear for the trip ready. After the drive and fishing and fish cleaning my rear is dragging the second day. Then there is the clean up when I get home. I can't wait to go again.

I will be doing a 4 dayer in Homer 19-22. This could get rough on the old back
    Need to start praying to the water gods on calm seas.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I will be doing a 4 dayer in Homer 19-22. This could get rough on the old back
    Need to start praying to the water gods on calm seas.

Not in Cook inlet!! It only works on the "otherside" of the mountains!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast