Thread: Kenai commercial openers?

Question Kenai commercial openers?

Does anyone have the link to the ADF&G site for the commercial opener schedule? I found the emergency updates, but not the scheduled openers.

Thanks in advance.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default I would like to see them to,

I will be down with the family from the 13th-17th, and I would love to see the openers so I can try to plan around them if possible. The historic first peak of the second red run is around the 15th or 16th. but I wonder with the late runs and comercial openers if there will be any fish for my family to catch..

Question

Ok, how about this....

Does anyone know if there is a scheduled commercial opening for this coming Saturday (7/14)??
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default understanding the commercial fishery

Maybe I can help here. There are only two scheduled openings for the commercial fishery per week - Monday and Thursday from 7 am to 7pm. All other fishing is done by emergency order. What makes it confusing is that the management plans call for a certain amount of fishing time by emergency order that is not scheduled in advance - this is because fish do not move to the beach on our time schedule. So at this time of the season any day can be a fishing day, except on window days, and that is not certain. The Commissioner of ADF&G can allow fishing in a window if fish move and escapement rates are too high.

Right now Kasilof and Kenai are entering the district and movement to the beach for the first push should take place within the next fews days, especially with Kasilof. This weekend has a high probability of a commercial opening as the winds are from the north right now and that tends to keep fish off the beach. When they switch to the southwest then fish movement probability goes up.

If a major push of fish takes place to the Kasilof this weekend dip netting should be good regardless of what the commercial fishery is doing. However, predicting when that movement will take place is a fool's game. I would just come down and enjoy the weekend and hope everything works out.

I was planning on heading down on Sunday to dip from the boat with the family, but if the run starts to pick up, which it's looking like from the sonar, I might take the boys down to fish the beach on Friday.

I think we all need to realize that even with sonar counts and knowing the commercial openings, we should expect to have to put in a couple days to get fish. It's a great feeling to pick the right day and fill up on fish, but you can't have that every year.

Here's the three links that everyone should resource to before making a dipping decision. The other half of the information is that there are two mandatory openings that are 12 hours and 36 hours that are in addition to the regular scheduled Monday and Thursday times and they are random (at the discretion of the fishery manager and biological supporting data). The OTF (Offshore Test Fishery) was 102 yesterday, anything above 60 is usually good dipping.

For Escapement Counts
    http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/mariner/uci/uciesc.php

For a Recorded Update
    907-262-9611

For Emergency Orders (EO's) (Make sure you select Upper Cook Inlet)
    http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsrelease/select.php
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32