Thread: Kenai Classic, Safety not politics

Default Kenai Classic, Safety not politics

I just read the newspaper account of the Kenai Classic. It came with a picture and verbage that said vodka and Irish cream were being doled out. The picture is of 2 separate boats. The host boat is handing out the "goodies" and he is not wearing a PFD. It appears that nobody in the other boat is wearing a PFD either.
    I realize that adults are not "required" to wear PFDs and understand the relationship of alcohol and fundraisers. But what message is being sent here? Alcohol at a downtown fundraiser is one thing, but on the river just seems to be out of line.
    As for not wearing a PFD, being dead and right both just don't make a whole lot of sense. They just found the 3rd body of the 3 people that drowned in Harding Lake. We have lost 2 soldiers so far to drowning. We almost lost another guy in FAI but some foks from Ft WW were there and saved him. The list goes on.
    No jokes here folks about politicians being expendable, I am not laughing. But I am willing to listen to your voices of reason. What do you think?

AK River Rat, you're dead on. but what you will notice on the lower river throughout the king season is that 100% of the people on charters do not wear PFD's, but you see far more of the folks in private boats do. I charter a couple times a year with customers, and have not worn a PFD with a charter since I started fishing with customers in 2001. Doesn't make it right, but it's a fact - just watch the charter boats. no one wears a PFD on charter boats in the Kenai (unless they are under 13 years old).

I'd also be willing that the fisherpeople on those charter boats consume half the GNP in alcohol on board!

SH

Question DOA?

NO PFD= DOA!

Ask the guy who fell out of the canoe! Oh, He wasn't wearing a PFD and he is DEAD!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default PFD's save lives

Ak River Rat: What paper was the article in? I'd like to see it. We have lost 8 people so far this year in recreational boating accidents; none of them were wearing PFD's....I think most of them (if not all) would have survived had they been properly equipped with life jackets. It's become almost unthinkable to get into an automobile without buckling up, but we see boaters everyday without lifejackets....maybe it's time to start thinking about mandatory education for boaters. You can't drive a car or fly a plane without education, but anyone can buy a boat and get underway. Most folks think that it won't happen to them! And, they keep thinking that right up to the point that they are drowning and it's too late....just ask them....oh, wait. You can't; they're dead. Take a look at Medred's article about PFD's http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/91...-9032343c.html

My son was asking why folks go out w/o wearing life jackets, as accidents happen so quickly. I said most folks figure it won't happen to them.

Last summer I took our canoe down eagle river and managed to capsize us against a log sticking up in the river. Fortunately no one was hurt, and everyone had their life jacket on. It was a great educational experience as to why you need to always wear a lifejacket, and how quickly you can go into the drink.

Quote Originally Posted by CG Boating Safety View Post
    Ak River Rat: What paper was the article in? I'd like to see it. We have lost 8 people so far this year in recreational boating accidents; none of them were wearing PFD's....I think most of them (if not all) would have survived had they been properly equipped with life jackets. It's become almost unthinkable to get into an automobile without buckling up, but we see boaters everyday without lifejackets....maybe it's time to start thinking about mandatory education for boaters. You can't drive a car or fly a plane without education, but anyone can buy a boat and get underway. Most folks think that it won't happen to them! And, they keep thinking that right up to the point that they are drowning and it's too late....just ask them....oh, wait. You can't; they're dead. Take a look at Medred's article about PFD's http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/91...-9032343c.html
    Check out the article on the ADN's website . . . it was still there lst night.

SH

Default ADN article

Got it, thanks! Mike

Default Fairbanks Daily Newsminer, Sunday

I find it incongruous that safety is focused on so much on the highways, but not the waterways. Neither a seatbelt or PFD guarantees survivability in an accident. The odds are increased dramatically though.
    Sure, there are always stories and people that will argue against regulatory implementation of public safety. The odds are, the statistics show, day in and day out, that safety does pay.
    We live on the Chena River. Every day we see boaters, both in powered and non powered craft not wearing PFDs. It does not surprise us to see young kids without them. It seems like the most consistent PFD users are the PWC operators and passengers.
    Both my 17 year old son and 13 year old daughter are competitive swimmers. My son has been to State meet to compete in the 500. No if and or buts about it, if I ever caught either of them in a boat without a PFD there would be trouble.
    Every one of you has somebody that cares about you. If nothing else, a PFD makes body recovery, and closure for those people, more of a certainty. I can not imagine what the parents of the 2 young adults went through day after day as volunteers scoured Harding Lake looking for the bodies. Yes, the bodies were found by volunteers and not somebodies child wading in the water, thank goodness. But at what cost? My son spent a day with those people that refused to quit. What I can tell you is that each of us owes people like that a debt.