Thread: Whitter Report.

Default Whitter Report.

Went out Fri and Sat.

Fri- Wen tout to main bay did ok. Had to work for the reds. Then we went to S. Montague and fished The bite was fast paced with chickens but nothing over #30. Caught nice ling. Other fish we caught were Dogfish, skates, cod

Sat. We went back to Montague. Fishing was alittle tougher. Chickens again, but the ling bite was on. We caught several lings and 2 were over #45 and one #35. Also we caught more skate.

Weather.
    Fri flat.... Except s. end of Knight Island alittle choppy but it flatten out in the evening.

Sat flat again. BUT coming back in between Latoce and Knight Island it was nasty for about 20 miles. The waves were sloppy going in different directions. they were about 3-4 ft. One I got to Main bay it settled down. I will post pic here soon.

Shrimping was hot.......
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Where did you anchor for the night....

I anchored smack in the Gulf of AK friday night and it was not good. Thought long and hard about hitting Montague for the first time from the Whittier side, but with the promise of butt at a known "hotspot" I couldnt refuse.

So where did you anchor for the night.

AH

It was my first trip out there. I came in Friday night and them took a different group of friends out. I drifted all day Friday and sat. I attempted to but the current was so fast could not stay on bottom. We anchored and did good.

Sat the water was really calm compared to Fri. Fri water wasn't bad at all don't get me wrong.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I ended up not running to Montague Sat but went to another spot I have. SKUNKED! First time ever getting skunked there. Weird. Got a report from another guy and he said that he had a much harder time Saturday for Halibut as well. Finished off the day in Main Bay and limited out with 7 people.

Shrimping was good. 200 Shrimp in 4 pots. Fifth pot was 500 yards from the others and was empty.....

Derrick
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Whittier Fishing

Went out to Northern side of Knight Island. A bunch of small Chicken Halibut. One to 60 lbs. Ling Cod was 40 lbs and a bunch of smaller ones we released. Big Surprise, We started to hook into Silvers while jigging. What a Scream. They were more powerfull than the big Ling or the Halibut. We baged 4 and lost about 7 do to their extremely powerfull runs. I think that they were just ripping the hooks out with sheer power.
    Any one know how difficult the walk is to Coghill river and do you need waders when you get there? I do not see walking for miles with waders on.
    Overall, a great weekend except for the clean up afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman Iggy View Post
    Overall, a great weekend except for the clean up afterwards.

I here you. After two days of fishing my boat was trashed. Took the house they have there at the dock and hosed in side and out of the boat....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I was out in Main bay with Dman on Saturday. Sunday went out to Story Island for some flat fish, got 2 small 30-35lbs, while enjoying 2 whales breaching for about an hour. Then we stop off at Main bay, had the place to ourselves and limited out in about 20-30 minutes.

Main Bay commercial opener was today and when we headed back to Whittier last night it was a little rough with all the commercial boat traffic.

Question: On the west side of Story and Peak Island there were 2 fish processor ships achored there in about 150-200ft of water. Has anyone tried fishing by these boats for flat fish? With all the waste stuff going overboard you would think it might be a good place so long as you stay out of their operation.

Dito on the boat cleanup! It took me an hour just to sray the crap off my boat, I have a few hours left tonight, let alone all the fish I have to vacum seal!! But that is a good thing!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Main Bay action

I'm headed out to MB this weekend. Is it too late for the reds there? How long is the fishing relatively good in MB? What is everyone using to catch the elusive red salmon? Has anyone actually gotten them to hit a lure/fly?

Is anyone else going to run out toward MB this weekend? May see you out there.

Reel Time

Quote Originally Posted by Avid outdoorsmen View Post
    I'm headed out to MB this weekend. Is it too late for the reds there? How long is the fishing relatively good in MB? What is everyone using to catch the elusive red salmon? Has anyone actually gotten them to hit a lure/fly?

Is anyone else going to run out toward MB this weekend? May see you out there.

Reel Time

The lure of choice: Willow snagger! (Big treble hook with the lead weight formed around the hook)

Technique: Throw into a school of fish, reel, then pull hard, reel, then pull hard. Repeat this action until the line stops, rod tip starts to meet rod handle, set hook, reel and net!

They should still be coming in this weekend.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Nice But

Took the wife and kids out of Whittier for an overnighter and landed this 200# plus But. Handed the pole over to the wife for a while, then she handed it back. Then she tried again and handed it back. After almost an hour and several runs back down to 300 feet,wrapping the anchor line, it was subdued by a shot. Then the work began. The kind of work I like to do though! Of the last 10 fish I have taken out of this hole 3 of them have been over 160#s. The rest were also very respectable fish. Slow fishing, but big payoffs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now THAT's the kind of hole I'd like to find. Either that or just a steady chicken ranch...
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Was out today not fishing but cruising around Blackstone looking at the Glacier and then went down to Culross pass. Man the commercial guys were out in full force in main bay.
    Saw allot of people coming back though from Main bay with loads of reds.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Coghill

How far is the run out to Coghill and then how far is the hike in? Many thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,
    BB

Default A stop on the way to Montegue

Here is our stop at main bay on the way to Montegue:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G3fTWgVQew

When we got to Montegue, caughts lots of chicken halibut, nothing over 35 lbs. Didn't catch our limit of ling's, but we did bring back a few.