Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58

Thread: new rifle caliber

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    480

    Default new rifle caliber

    I know this has been talked and talked and talked about, but I'm looking for a reason to pick up a new rifle. I have been looking at the cooper model 92. A light weight rifle that shoots .5 really gets me going. Im trying to decide on what caliber. I will be using this rifle for up to elk size animals, but mainly deer size critters. I have it narrowed down to a few calibers. The shots will be 450 and closer (but to be honest 300 and closer)

    1st 338-06 I already have one, but dang it kills good and i have a bunch of brass. I'm just not sure if I will get proper bullet expansion that my max range.

    2nd 30-06 boring caliber, but everyone needs at least one and I don't have one right now

    3rd 6.5x284 norma. I really like this caliber, but I have no experience with it.

    4th 300 win mag. like th round, but don't know how i will recoil form a 6.5lbs rifle.

    5th 280 remington. With all the choices for .284 bullets I thought with a 1/9 twist I could shoot 120gr to 175ge bullets.

  2. #2

    Default

    Just to be different while putting you in that realm, why not a 284? If it's an 06 length action, I'd go so far as throating it to seat a 160 grain Partition out so the base of the bullet resides at the base of the neck. Pushing the bullet up out of the powder space would be an interesting "AI" result, I bet. Along those lines I had a 243 Ruger #1 that turned out to have a throat so long I could seat the Speer 105 spitzers that way, and the extra powder capacity really pumped velocities when I worked up a new "max" for the extra capacity. A long-seated 284 might do some really interesting things with modern powders, even as you could still shoot factory rounds.

    I've had several 284's over the years and still own a Savage 99 284, and the round has always made me with the bullet wasn't 3/4 of its length down into the powder space.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

  3. #3
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,162

    Default

    30-06,, I have a 280AI with a 1/9 and mine don't stabilize bullets over 160 very well. Ole 30-06 loaded up with some modern powder will get you close to 3K and easily kill out pass 450.. Been there done that.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  4. #4
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    3,889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I but I'm looking for a reason to pick up a new rifle.
    ..
    How about, "You want a new rifle."

    Hard to go wrong with a .300WM or an '06 for almost anything.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    30-06,, I have a 280AI with a 1/9 and mine don't stabilize bullets over 160 very well. Ole 30-06 loaded up with some modern powder will get you close to 3K and easily kill out pass 450.. Been there done that.
    A boring old 30-06? Just kidding! With new powder and bullet selections it's better than ever. All these years later and one still can't argue with the o6 as anything but a great choice.

  6. #6
    Member Eastwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southern Tier, New York
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Ofcourse you want the 6.5-284! With the 130 grain Accubond or even the 129 grain Accubond long range, it would sure be a pleasure to shoot...and with that accuracy, heck you could choose which part of the heart to shoot! Although, I just bought another 30-06...lol

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods View Post
    Although, I just bought another 30-06...lol
    I had a near miss today. The model details don't really matter, but I visited my favorite gun shop today and an 06 almost stuck to my hands. Haven't owned one in a few years and all this talk about new powders and performance started an itch. I might be in trouble if it's still there on my next visit....
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,254

    Default

    280 Rem.

    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  9. #9

    Default

    Gotta share the reason I didn't pick up the 06 Swapdonkey.

    Bullets have become so darned expensive and occasionally hard to get, I just haven't bought any in at least 5 years or so. Meanwhile I haven't owned a 30 cal other than my 30-40 Krag, 300 Savage and 30-30 for even longer, so my stock of 30 cal bullets suitable for an 06 is pretty skimpy.

    Meanwhile in the years before the shortage and price jump I was shooting lots of 7mm and 25 caliber and picking up lots of bullets on close-outs here and there. I have a reassuring stock of 7's in weights ranging from 120 to 175 for feeding my assorted 7x57's, 284's and 7 RemMag. I'm also real long in 25 caliber bullets, but those are a little light for what I have in mind.

    Look at that list and you'll note a decided lack of a 7-08 or 280. The sensible side of my mouth is now starting to gnaw on a light, compact 7-08. Being a lefty, it's looking like the Browning X-bolt might be the only itch scratcher for me.

    Long and short of my ramble, availability of components sure weighs heavy on my thinking. If that kind of thing matters to you, have a look at your own shelves while rifle pondering.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

  10. #10
    Member akula682's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    1,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    280 Rem.

    SOTN

    Yup, 280 Rem.
    Josh
    In Egypt on the Sinai peninsula helping to take care of the ISIS problem.

  11. #11
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,506

    Default

    I would not want a 300 win mag in a 6 1/2# rifle.

    For longer ranges you really need to look at the available high bc bullets and IMHO that narrows it down to the 6.5X284 or the 280 rem. For all intents and purposes they are ballistic cousins, I can't see one beating out the other by much. And for a std length action I'd opt for the 280 rem. There is something to be said for a round that uses more common brass.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

    If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    There is something to be said for a round that uses more common brass.
    In the current climate, that's important. I'm sitting on a healthy accumulation of 284 brass, so it wouldn't affect my choice, so long as I planned to let go of a bunch of brass if and when I ever sold the rifle. Onliest thing about squeezing 06 brass down to 280 on your own, if the chamber is tight you could easily find yourself moving on to the next step in reloading equipment and chores- neck turning or reaming. Not difficult at all, but one more piece of gear to buy along with your loading dies.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

  13. #13
    Member Eastwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southern Tier, New York
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Gotta share the reason I didn't pick up the 06 Swapdonkey.

    Bullets have become so darned expensive and occasionally hard to get, I just haven't bought any in at least 5 years or so. Meanwhile I haven't owned a 30 cal other than my 30-40 Krag, 300 Savage and 30-30 for even longer, so my stock of 30 cal bullets suitable for an 06 is pretty skimpy.

    Meanwhile in the years before the shortage and price jump I was shooting lots of 7mm and 25 caliber and picking up lots of bullets on close-outs here and there. I have a reassuring stock of 7's in weights ranging from 120 to 175 for feeding my assorted 7x57's, 284's and 7 RemMag. I'm also real long in 25 caliber bullets, but those are a little light for what I have in mind.

    Look at that list and you'll note a decided lack of a 7-08 or 280. The sensible side of my mouth is now starting to gnaw on a light, compact 7-08. Being a lefty, it's looking like the Browning X-bolt might be the only itch scratcher for me.

    Long and short of my ramble, availability of components sure weighs heavy on my thinking. If that kind of thing matters to you, have a look at your own shelves while rifle pondering.


    Thats where I'm at...its just seems like more work to add another caliber or even a different cartridge at this point. This "point" is 52 years of age with 9 different rifle cartridges to load...I think?, let's see...222, 223, 243, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 338 Fed., 300WM, 375 H&H, and 45-70. I was close.

  14. #14
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    8,643

    Default

    I'm surprised none of you have mentioned ol' Jack OConnor's favorite. You think he was all wet or what?......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I'm surprised none of you have mentioned ol' Jack OConnor's favorite. You think he was all wet or what?......lol
    Love it, but I'm short on .277 bullets and between rifles right now. Once had a 270 WBY that I liked even more.

    As for calibers, I have "too many." But I can't get past my curiosity about ones I haven't tried before and would love of to play with. Just checked the drawers with my loading dies and these days I'm loading for rifles in 22 Hornet, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 220 Swift, 243 Win, 6mm Rem, 25-20, 25-35, 250-3000, 257 Roberts, 257 Roberts 3", 25-06, 7x57, 284, 7mm RemMag, 30-30, 300 Savage, 300 Krag, 32-20, 32 Win Spec, 35 Rem, 358 Win, 35 Whelen, 38-56 Win, 375 H&H, 44 Kodiak (wildcat), 45-70, 450 Alaskan, 458 Win Mag.

    Long list, but a lot of gaps in there, too. Some gaps are from rifles that have come and gone (I generally include dies along with any rifles I part with), but there are still others that have never been in the lineup and I wanna play with. Sure I don't hunt with all of them all the time. But for me it's as much about the love of gun tinkering as also being a dedicated hunter. Heck, I won't even list of all the traditional muzzleloader calibers complicating my life these days!

    Get the guns that interest you. But you only have to justify them to your wife!
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I'm surprised none of you have mentioned ol' Jack OConnor's favorite. You think he was all wet or what?......lol
    Former- that would be my pick just cause i like 270's and 6.5x55's! Lol! Whatever is chosen will be a fine rifle indeed. Coopers are beautiful and well made- i envy your tough choice!

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Love it, but I'm short on .277 bullets and between rifles right now. Once had a 270 WBY that I liked even more.

    As for calibers, I have "too many." But I can't get past my curiosity about ones I haven't tried before and would love of to play with. Just checked the drawers with my loading dies and these days I'm loading for rifles in 22 Hornet, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 220 Swift, 243 Win, 6mm Rem, 25-20, 25-35, 250-3000, 257 Roberts, 257 Roberts 3", 25-06, 7x57, 284, 7mm RemMag, 30-30, 300 Savage, 300 Krag, 32-20, 32 Win Spec, 35 Rem, 358 Win, 35 Whelen, 38-56 Win, 375 H&H, 44 Kodiak (wildcat), 45-70, 450 Alaskan, 458 Win Mag.

    Long list, but a lot of gaps in there, too. Some gaps are from rifles that have come and gone (I generally include dies along with any rifles I part with), but there are still others that have never been in the lineup and I wanna play with. Sure I don't hunt with all of them all the time. But for me it's as much about the love of gun tinkering as also being a dedicated hunter. Heck, I won't even list of all the traditional muzzleloader calibers complicating my life these days!

    Get the guns that interest you. But you only have to justify them to your wife!
    That IS, a long list. I load 7 rifle cartridges, and did for 2 others, plus could, for a nother.

    I have trouble keeping track of them all. You must be pretty well organized.

    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I have trouble keeping track of them all. You must be pretty well organized.
    Not over-organized, but always systematic in my reloading. Log books are priceless. I just have a stack of 3-ring binders with binder paper. Sometimes I even tape shot up targets onto a page with range notes written directly on them. Thirty, forty, fifty years later, you still have a starting place on old calibers. If I was organized I'd go back and sort all those pages by caliber. As it is, they're sequential by date, so I have to do a lot of page turning to find the right old info for old reloading/shooting sessions.

    Since I've always reloaded for friends too, there's info in that stack of binders for calibers I've never actually owned along with the ones that passed through my hands long ago. Things like the great R2Lovel, 404 Jeffries, 7x61 S&H, 7.7mm and 6.5 Jap, 351 SL, and a bunch more. Whereyagonna go for data on rounds like that?
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

  19. #19
    Member akula682's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    1,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I'm surprised none of you have mentioned ol' Jack OConnor's favorite. You think he was all wet or what?......lol

    Yup... all wet. I cant stand the 270.
    Josh
    In Egypt on the Sinai peninsula helping to take care of the ISIS problem.

  20. #20

    Default

    Like you said, "every one should have a 30-06" and you already have a good 338-06. I think a 210 Nosler Partition .338 bullet would expand at about any reasonable range.

    Back to the 30-06. I started my Alaskan hunting career with one in 1966, an old 03 Springfield my Dad customized for hunting. It got me moose and caribou. I have a very nice Pre 64 Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06 that I had customized. Love that good shooting rifle,

    If I was getting a new 30-06 I would look at a stainless Montana with a 22 to 24 inch barrel and make it as light as reasonably possible. Then I would load up 168 grain Barnes X bullets and have a do it all North American rifle.

    The 30-06 is a wonderful and practical hunting cartridge!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •