Thread: RB300 Success

Default RB300 Success

P1010771.jpgP1010764.jpg

Well, there are a couple of recent threads regarding RB300 so I thought I'd post a success story. After 12 years of hunting Alaska I finally got my first brown bear. I headed down to the Kenai this past Friday to do some bear hunting. I was really out looking for black bear, mainly because that about all I usually see, but to my surprise this guy was the first bear I spotted. I covered two mile and made almost a 3,000 foot climb to get above where I had seen him last. As you'd expect, he didn't just lay down and wait for me to make the climb. I spent the next four hours hanging out on the side of the mountain to see if he might pop out again. I moved back a forth a couple times between two bowls to try and locate him. By 5:30 he hadn't shown himself.

I decided I had a long climb down so I started to head down the mountain. Of course after I drop part way down the mountain he magically appear in one of the bowls I had just glassed an hour before. So back up the mountain I went. I climbed 500 feet back up the mountain to get to the same elevation as the bear then sidehilled around the bowl. Luckily he was to busy eating berries to pay much attention to me slowly moving across the wide open hill side. I was able to get to 160 yards and felt this was a close enough distance to get in a follow up shot. No follow-up shots needed though. The first shot went through the heart and took out the lower leg on the opposite side. This sent the bear summer salting 150 yards down the mountain.

By the time I took a bunch of pictures and looked at my watch it was 7:10pm. I decided there was no way I was getting the bear skinned and off the mountain in the dark by myself. So I bailed off the mountain and even then made half the climb in the dark. The next day I made the 2,700 ft climb back up the mountain to retrieve my bear. This time I brought a friend to help.

Not a big brown bear but has an awesome hide. The meat is surprisingly good too.

Congratulations, good effort staying after it, and gettin'R-done.

Excellent! Glad to see that it worked out for you! Making me tempted to go give it a try...

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post

Not a big brown bear but has an awesome hide. The meat is surprisingly good too.
    Excellent, and congrats!!! Thanks for helping out our moose population as well...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Nice job! That hide will bring back some good memories later.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Nothing wrong with that!!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post

Curious as to what part of the Kenai you killed it on..... North, South, Central, Cooper Landing area, Seward,? Just a general idea....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Taken in the North Kenai towards Hope. When we were skinning and butchering I stood up to take a break. Looked up the mountain and there was another brown bear 500-600 yards straight up the mountain. Looked to be about the same size as the one I had shot. Unfortunately, my buddy who went in to help me retreive my bear didn't have a tag, nor did we pack a rifle up the mountain. Spent the rest of our butchering time looking over our shoulder. Luckily it come any further down the mountain.

Congratulations! Always good to hear when a climb like that pans out and you are able to notch your tag, even if you did have to act like you were leaving in order to fool the bear into stepping back out. lol