Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat width????

Default Boat width????

So what's with the boat width rules. Looks like it's hard to understand online. You all have me thinking about our build now. Should I go with a 9.5' boat? Is it worth the trouble for fishing out of whittier and tunnel prices or traveling on holidays? What's the real deal on this??

Rob
    BOATLESS for now......
    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    MMSI#

I went with an 8.5' boat to avoid the hassle, and it's nice, but there's times I really wish I had an extra foot of width when we are all crammed in the cabin. If I had to do it all over again, for a 26' boat, I would still go with the 8.5' width

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Default Boat width????

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    So what's with the boat width rules. Looks like it's hard to understand online. You all have me thinking about our build now. Should I go with a 9.5' boat? Is it worth the trouble for fishing out of whittier and tunnel prices or traveling on holidays? What's the real deal on this??

Rob
    No trouble just buy the permit and hang your signs. There a hugh difference in the water between 8.5 and 9.5. As far as tunnel as long as your under 10 under normal operating rules.
    Rob your building your dream boat. I think you'll regret not going with 9.5.

http://dot.alaska.gov/creg/whittiert...iclesize.shtml

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

The benefit of the extra beam out weighs the additional fee at the tunnel. I cannot imagine cramming my family of four into a V-berth of an 8.5' beam boat. I believe that they lifted the towing restrictions over holiday weekends a couple of years ago.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Bigger is always better
    "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
    Bigger is always better
    Ditto. Tunnel Vision is 9' 11" width and it's $38 to go through the tunnel. You need an Oversize banner on the front and an Oversize banner on the back and that is it. No lights, no pilot cars. You'll pay $38 for 8'5" and 9'6" so might as well go as close to 10' as your comfortable going. Also, keep in mind that the Whittier Tunnel people measure not only the boat but any side guides that you have on the trailer. If your side guides are as high as your gunnel then you will need to figure those into your measurement. I cut my side guides down so they are low and since the hull is wider at the gunnel then at the bottom they are not out past the gunnel width. Another way to explain what I just said is that my bottom width is 105" and my gunnel to gunnel width is 119" so the 4" of side guide total is somewhere in between the 105" and the place where they measure which is 119". If my guides were at my gunnel or even close to that height I'd be over 120" and have to pay the higher tunnel fee.

Also a $350/yr wide load permit, I believe.
    I thought a flashing light was required , maybe that has changed too?

Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post

Bk
    You're right, but I think mine is $550, but no light is required.

I just went online and "applied" for a permit that fit my boat and here are the stipulations. No flashing light is required. Now it may be that if you're traveling at night that the 49CFR requirements mentioned in #8 require a flashing light, but if you're traveling during daylight hours there is no flashing light requirement.

NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL
    The following conditions will apply:
    CONDITIONS
    1. Driver must be able to produce copy of permit upon request and MUST STOP AT ALL OPEN WEIGH STATIONS.
    2. All vehicles with permits are required to stop at all open Weigh Stations even if they receive a green light from their transponder.
    3. No movement permitted if vision is restricted to less than 1000 by inclement weather. HEADLIGHTS MUST BE ON AT ALL TIMES.
    4. Maximum highway speed is the posted speed, subject to seasonal restrictions.
    5. Overall width of tractor or truck shall not exceed 8'6".
    6. Actual weight shall not exceed the MOST RESTRICTIVE (including seasonal) legal weight limits. See Current Weight Restrictions.
    7. Time of movement is daylight hours.
    8. May also travel during hours of darkness following all applicable requirements specified in 49 CFR 390-396, 13 AAC 04.010-145 and the State of Alaska Administrative Permits Manual Section 13.
    9. Must have clearly readable OVERSIZE signs on the front and rear.
    10. Red or fluorescent orange flag (16" square) on end of overhang.
    11. DO NOT TRAVEL UNDER ANY OVERHEAD STRUCTURE POSTED AT LESS THAN 15' IN HEIGHT.
    User Indemnification Agreement
    Applicant expressly agrees to indemnify, save harmless, and defend the State of Alaska, its agencies and employees from any and all claims or actions for injuries or damages sustained by any person or property arising directly or indirectly from this special use permit or the activities which it authorizes. Applicant also acknowledges that, under Alaska Statue 44.80.070, the State is not subject to legal action or recovery of damages for injury arising out of, or in any manner connected with, this special use permit or the activities which it authorizes.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post

Bk
    I usually buy by the month which is 80$ now as prices went up this year, I think the annual is in the 600$ range. Flashing light is required as well as stopping at all weigh stations. Thankfully they dropped the ban on holiday travel but you will need a few extra lights on the trailer to tow it after dark. To me it is way worth the extra expense to have the extra width.. However ultimately its your decision there are pros and cons to each decision.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I usually buy by the month which is 80$ now as prices went up this year, I think the annual is in the 600$ range. Flashing light is required as well as stopping at all weigh stations. Thankfully they dropped the ban on holiday travel but you will need a few extra lights on the trailer to tow it after dark. To me it is way worth the extra expense to have the extra width.. However ultimately its your decision there are pros and cons to each decision.

This was discussed on another thread, but if you apply for your permit using the online tool there is no light requirement. If you print the permit out from the pdf version then there is a light listed on the paper form. Do whatever your comfortable with. I have been running Tunnel Vision up and down the road for two seasons now and I do not have a flashing light and my permits have never required one.

I would also add that based on the choices that I'm choosing on the online form probably determine whether a flashing light is required or not. And for a 35' boat trailer that is no wider than 10'6" I am not required to have a flashing light.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    This was discussed on another thread, but if you apply for your permit using the online tool there is no light requirement. If you print the permit out from the pdf version then there is a light listed on the paper form. Do whatever your comfortable with. I have been running Tunnel Vision up and down the road for two seasons now and I do not have a flashing light and my permits have never required one.

I would also add that based on the choices that I'm choosing on the online form probably determine whether a flashing light is required or not. And for a 35' boat trailer that is no wider than 10'6" I am not required to have a flashing light.
    Awesome thanks for this, I will pay attention to that, I need to get a permit again in a few days. I hate the flashing light as the darn thing scratches the heck out of the paint on my truck and leaks water when it rains.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post

1S1K

What confusion!! Not to argue with what your permit says but here is what I have.

I also apply for my permit on line and I am looking at my permit from hauling the Dream Catcher back from Seward on 6 Sept. Been hauling the Dream Catcher for 9 years using permits.

The Dream Catcher's actual width at the widest point is 9' 11 1/2". The trailer's actual width including side boards is 9' 6" and it is 37' 3" long.

On my permit the trailer length is listed as 37' 3" and is entered by the applicant, the width is listed as "Up to 10ft 6 in" and is one of several choices.

On the actual printed permit which you must carry, in the CONDITIONS portion at the bottom it states "10. Must have a roof-mounted (or mounted at roof height) rotating of flashing amber beacon."

This not the first inconsistency we have noted with DOT Oversize permits.

Since there is some inconsistency in the oversize permits - some calling for a rotating beacon and some not - I would have one to make sure I don't give AST & APD an excuse to stop me.

Rob B - A couple of recommendations. The wider the boat the better and the permits, signs and light are no big deal until you get over 10' 6", then you are required to have a pilot car on the highway. I have no idea about the tunnel as I don't do Whittier.
    Last edited by Shark Bait; 10-05-2016 at 13:09. Reason: Additional Info

It is $85/month for permit, easy to print and pay online (so far). If you try to sneak into Whittier without the oversized permit, they will turn you around at the tunnel. I always have the permit but once, just for s's and g's, tried to go through incognito, last tunnel, raining out, dark. They are less apt to get out and measure, depending on the weather.
    If the extra $ for permit and tunnel are not a big factor, I would recommend more width. Adding 12" width of real estate now almost equates to 3'itis later, when you look at square footage...
    Is there a substantial increase in cost at Wooldridge for extra width?

Another thought, if you mostly go out with 2 or 3 total occupants, maybe the extra width is not so important...

oversize permit 2016.jpg

Here is mine. No flashing light. The permit assigned to the trailer dictates the conditions not the officer's interpretation of the law. I have stopped at weight stations both fixed and portable and had no issues.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Online permit sample

IMG_1509.jpg

I attached one of my permits for this year....

Thanks guys. That's a lot of great info to think about. We didn't go the extra width in the beginning because I was stupid to the rules. Never really checked into it either. Just went off what I've heard in the past. I'll check with the builder tomorrow and see what that extra cost will be.
    BOATLESS for now......
    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    MMSI#

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    The benefit of the extra beam out weighs the additional fee at the tunnel. I cannot imagine cramming my family of four into a V-berth of an 8.5' beam boat. I believe that they lifted the towing restrictions over holiday weekends a couple of years ago.
    Any chance someone can verify this for me or at least point me in the right direction so I can? I don't tow oversize, but a friend of mine tows a 32-foot boat and swears he can't tow it on holidays which kind of messed up his Labor Day weekend plans for boating.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Any chance someone can verify this for me or at least point me in the right direction so I can? I don't tow oversize, but a friend of mine tows a 32-foot boat and swears he can't tow it on holidays which kind of messed up his Labor Day weekend plans for boating.
    Several years ago there was a restriction on oversize movement on holidays but it has not been on my permits, up to 10' 6", for several years. I think there may still be holiday restrictions for trailers over 10' 6 ".

This is f@@king crazy that some permits require an amber rotating beacon and others do not for the same size trailers. I agree with 1S1K that if you comply with your permit there is nothing that an LEO can do.

My two cents... go with at least 9'6" or wider but less than 10' 6". I've been thinking of a slide out like an RV, with a fold down out rigger for when on the hook, to get extra width, 6" - 12", in the cabin on one side. The cuddy is plenty wide as is. Just kidding.... Get a wider boat since your having one built and not buying a stock production boat much easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast