Thread: Ship any long guns lately????? Getting expensive, new rules, USPS

Default Ship any long guns lately????? Getting expensive, new rules, USPS

Was just informed of new usps rules for long guns. Rule #432.3 Rifles and Shotguns. Better head over to your post office and pick up a copy. No more priority mail. Must go Express (twice the money) or Registered Mail.
    I need some help here, since I am thinning my herd. Would like to hear what others plan to do to keep shipping reasonable. Think about it. Who's gonna buy your $600 rifle and pay more than $100 for shipping to the lower 48? They will just buy something local even if it means a few more bucks.
    I send mine out in a hard case with insurance and tracking. Shipping is usually around 60 bucks or so, plus the hard case. Shipping itself will be north of $100 with this new rule.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I take the stock off the rifle and send that, and the metalwork separately. Since the box is smaller, it costs less, and most importantly, they are not screaming "here is a firearm, steal me". It will also reduce the probability of the stock being broken. I send the barreled action and bolt in a ABS plastic tube with the screw cap on one end; indestructible.
    Lastly, no-one at the post office has ever asked me what I was sending, and I never bothered to tell them.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Years ago, I got asked, and they refused the package. I wrote in bold magic marker, on the package "Machined Steel PARTS" and took it to a different post office. No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Lastly, no-one at the post office has ever asked me what I was sending, and I never bothered to tell them.

I mailed a rifle last week from Juneau. Apparently I was the first to do so after the new rule changes and it took me three visits and two hours of my time. Fun times. I had my rifle in a locked hard case, and then they made me manufacture a cardboard box for the case to fit in, and then they made me cover every seam, corner and edge with that wet tape. This was done supposedly to make it tamper proof. Ridiculous. Not worth it. Next time, I will break a rifle down and send it as parts. They are slowly taking it all away.

Quote Originally Posted by PacWestFishTaxidermy View Post
    I mailed a rifle last week from Juneau. Apparently I was the first to do so after the new rule changes and it took me three visits and two hours of my time. Fun times. I had my rifle in a locked hard case, and then they made me manufacture a cardboard box for the case to fit in, and then they made me cover every seam, corner and edge with that wet tape. This was done supposedly to make it tamper proof. Ridiculous. Not worth it. Next time, I will break a rifle down and send it as parts. They are slowly taking it all away.
    Yeah like that tape is going to stop someone intent on stealing your package.

It seems you can mail Express at twice the money without doing the registered Mail with all the seams taped with their 'wet' tape. I don't see how these new rules solve any problems. Just more b.s. rules for us to follow.

It WILL get worse......Much Worse.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    It seems you can mail Express at twice the money without doing the registered Mail with all the seams taped with their 'wet' tape. I don't see how these new rules solve any problems. Just more b.s. rules for us to follow.
    Usually, government agencies make changes you accommodate themselves without regard to the people they're supposed to serve. I can't imagine how this benefits them. It's more like it is designed to discourage gun ownership.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Oh ya, it will get worse when she is at the helm.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Years ago, I got asked, and they refused the package. I wrote in bold magic marker, on the package "Machined Steel PARTS" and took it to a different post office. No problem.
    You are tooooo, kool.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

They've never asked me what's in the box. They've asked if I have explosives, liquids or dangerous goods in the box. Nope. I insure it for the value, request a signature, and pay the Priority Mail fee. Did this on Monday without a single question from my P.O.

added on edit** I am exempt from the rules since I am an FFL. I can still use priority since I am going from FFL to FFL.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem