Thread: Mat-Su Lake Recommendations

Default Mat-Su Lake Recommendations

My family and I moved to Palmer in 2015, about 10 miles south of Hatcher Pass off of Palmer Fishhook Rd. I was out of town for a lot of the year and have not been able to go out fishing much. My daughter has asked if we could do some lake fishing but I don't know too many of the lakes in the area. We do not have a boat, so fishing from the shore is what we plan on doing. We went down to Matanuska Lake with my daughter catching the only fish of the day (about 4-5" trout, not sure why that thing even took the lure).

Can anyone shed some light on good fishing lakes? I am usually home from work by 5 PM on weekdays and can fish those evenings. Weekends are more flexible on distances as I work M-F.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give me.

Quote Originally Posted by skeletor121 View Post
    My family and I moved to Palmer in 2015, about 10 miles south of Hatcher Pass off of Palmer Fishhook Rd. I was out of town for a lot of the year and have not been able to go out fishing much. My daughter has asked if we could do some lake fishing but I don't know too many of the lakes in the area. We do not have a boat, so fishing from the shore is what we plan on doing. We went down to Matanuska Lake with my daughter catching the only fish of the day (about 4-5" trout, not sure why that thing even took the lure).

Can anyone shed some light on good fishing lakes? I am usually home from work by 5 PM on weekdays and can fish those evenings. Weekends are more flexible on distances as I work M-F.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give me.
    Matanuska is about as good as you can get if you are fishing from shore. Most of the lakes in the valley have private property surrounding them so if you don't have a boat your options are very limited. Maybe try renting a canoe in the nancy lakes area.

Thank you for the info. Figured we might have issues. A canoe is on the list of things to buy for next summer.

Finger lk at the elks lodge off tbd dock, lots of rainbows there. You can see them which makes it fun.
    Or go to the public launch/campground at opposite end. 2 docks to fish from lots of room and plenty of fish.
    Good luck, post pics.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

As Bushwhack says if you don't have a boat your options are very limited. Keep an eye out on craigslist. Got a 12ft.aluminum rowboat a few yrs. back for $250.00 that's light enough to cartop. Add a 30# thrust electric motor for $109.95 w/ a deep cycle marine battery and you're golden. There are so many stocked lakes in the valley you could fish a different one every time and never hit them all. Finger lake can be very good from a boat. Especially this time of year. ADF&G has a list of lakes on their website complete with maps, directions, and stocking reports.
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle

Get yourself a boat, get yourself some gold with red speckle needlefish made by Luhr Jensen (can be found at Sportsmans readily), and put one or two split shot about 3' above it. Cast as far behind the boat as you can with a spinning rod and troll at paddling speed. I've used this exclusively for about 20 years and have caught all sorts of trout in lakes on it.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thank you again for the recommendations. I like the boat and electric motor recommendation. Will be keeping my eye out over the winter to pick stuff up so we are ready for spring/summer. I think we will just stick with shore fishing and taking a look around to see where we would like to put the boat in next year.

PP: Thanks for the lure recommendation. Will pick up a few of these to be ready for the boat.

Will need to try and upload a picture from my phone of my daughter's miniature fish she caught mentioned in the first post.

A couple of lakes that have decent shore fishing and access that are close to Mat Su Lake are the ones in the Kepler - Bradley Lake complex. Most folks only fish these two lakes but there are four more lakes in this system located behind K-B. Irene lake has always been a pretty decent producer with plenty of bank access and Victor Lake as well.

Check regs though cuz one of the lakes in this system is a no bait, c&r only lake.