Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: The Marlin Glenfield 60

  1. #1

    Default The Marlin Glenfield 60

    Ole Butch used to call them jam masters. I never saw it that way. If you took them out of the stock turned them upside down and gave them a bath in kerosine then blew them out with a compressor they would run with any 22 auto on the market. They have been making them for so long that when you buy a used one it has a good chance of never ever having been cleaned and has a bunch of rounds put through it.

    My good friend Ray no longer has his gun shop open to the public but he still takes care of his loyal customers. He sells his trade ins on gunbroker. Last night I was out at Rays shop and there on his rack of used stuff were 2 GLelnfield 60s. One was the old "Squirrel" model with the squirrel engraved into the pistol grip. It also wore a same vintage Weaver B4 4x scope. That package was as clean as your going to find one of those old rifles. The other was one of the last run JM guns. It has an 18 inch barrel and no scope and from looking at the tip off groove it's never had rings mounted.

    I gave Ray $225 and took both of them home with me. While watching my Vikings play last night I took the "Squirrel" gun apart to clean and it was obvious that it hadn't had a 100 rounds through it in it's lifetime. There are only a few tiny scratches on the forearm. I am as tickled pink as if I had struck gold and over a gun that didn't cost $50 when it was new. Silly old fart anyway.

    The other 60 is just as clean. I put a sling and a 1 inch tube Bushnell 3x9x32 rimfire scope on that little carbine and it will hang on the wall at my hunting cabin.

    It seems that in my old age just simple stuff that takes me back to my roots tickles my fancy better than the expensive new fangled stuff that cost way more.

  2. #2

    Default

    Here I figure I'm pretty much over my use of 22's and you go and post this. Dang it all anyway. Sure rings my nostalgia bell. Guess I'm a silly old fart, too. Come to think of it, our daughter has been calling me that for decades!
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,254

    Default

    Very interesting, EKC:

    It jist so hoppen, I got a Marlin mdl 60, but it's only a few years old, and it's a Carbine.

    I've not shot it a lot, but it's been trouble free. I went online and figgered out how to take it apart, but I forgot, so when it comes time, I'll hafta do it again.

    I have a 1" Rimfire scope on mine too. I use it for practice, but with ammo scarce, I don't shot it much at a time. I sorta regret buying it.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Very interesting, EKC:

    It jist so hoppen, I got a Marlin mdl 60, but it's only a few years old, and it's a Carbine.

    I've not shot it a lot, but it's been trouble free. I went online and figgered out how to take it apart, but I forgot, so when it comes time, I'll hafta do it again.

    I have a 1" Rimfire scope on mine too. I use it for practice, but with ammo scarce, I don't shot it much at a time. I sorta regret buying it.

    Smitty of the North
    My young shooting friend saw the JM stamp on these two 60s and said you need to hang onto them as they will be worth a lot of money in 50 years. So is grandpa's anvil but he has been in the ground for 45 years and I doubt that he cares what his anvil is worth.

    If your carbine is JM stamped then you should be able to get your money back out of it.

    I must be going bonkers in my post mid age years. I saw a nice H&R Topper 20 gauge on gunbroker for $75 so I bought it. What the heck for....I don't know. Cause I ain't got one I reckon. It would be nice to have a shotgun hanging on the wall at the cabin so the big spiders have a hole to crawl into!

  5. #5
    Member gunbugs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,284

    Default

    Typically what will make the 60's fail is the old style feed block. The new style uses the wire spring type ejector, which you can see through the ejection port. The old style just has a nub of metal formed into the feed block for the ejector, and they will become battered with use, and quit working. Also good to keep an eye on the buffer, as they will break apart, and the pieces will get into the action. Bent recoil springs from unskilled reassembly can be a problem as well.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

  6. #6
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    8,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    It seems that in my old age just simple stuff that takes me back to my roots tickles my fancy better than the expensive new fangled stuff that cost way more.
    Antique anything has always been popular.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Typically what will make the 60's fail is the old style feed block. The new style uses the wire spring type ejector, which you can see through the ejection port. The old style just has a nub of metal formed into the feed block for the ejector, and they will become battered with use, and quit working. Also good to keep an eye on the buffer, as they will break apart, and the pieces will get into the action. Bent recoil springs from unskilled reassembly can be a problem as well.
    My carbine has the wire ejector and the old squirrel in the stock rifle has the metal nub. The nub looks like new. Should that nub wear off could the stiff wire ejector be installed in it's place or would one need to build up a little material with a wire welder and then file it into a new ejector....assuming the feed block is steel and it appears to be.

    I found two buffers in a baggie in one of my buckets of stuff and I was even smart enough on the day I put them there to write a note and put in the baggie that says Glenfield 60.

    I bet you have fixed a whole lot of 60s by just cleaning the crud out huh gunbugs?

    Thanks for your insight.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post

    If your carbine is JM stamped then you should be able to get your money back out of it.
    It got no stinkin JM. It jist say Barlin, or Narlin, or Darlin. Sump'in like thet.

    What I like is the clean lines, and the comb, (raised portion on the stock) By comparison the Ruger 10-22 looks stubby.

    Of course, the Ruger loads a whole lot easier. I don't like the safety on the trigger guard, but I think the 10-22 has the safety there too.

    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    It got no stinkin JM. It jist say Barlin, or Narlin, or Darlin. Sump'in like thet.

    What I like is the clean lines, and the comb, (raised portion on the stock) By comparison the Ruger 10-22 looks stubby.

    Of course, the Ruger loads a whole lot easier. I don't like the safety on the trigger guard, but I think the 10-22 has the safety there too.

    SOTN
    I think it's Remlin! I was mistook cuz the carbine I got is a Remlin too. Ray had a nudder old 60 at his shop too but it it looked like it was used to club critters rather than shoot them.

    I can remember way back in the late 70s when Roses gun shop was the happeningest joint in this town. A young feller came bringing in his Glenfield 60 that he had just mounted a scope on via a Weaver number one base and wood screws. He had it on a tad canted and there wasn't enough adjustment in the scope to make up the difference. He had a nice Stith Kolmorgen 6x fine cross hair scope mounted in his contraption and that scope had way too much eye relief for where he had it screwed to the stock. The number 1 bases isn't very forgiving concerning sliding the scope forward so it just wasn't working out for the kid.

    I was standing behind the counter waiting on a customer even though I did not work there as Keith the shop owner was in the back silver soldering on some sights. He came forward as he was getting bits and pieces of our conversation. He got his usual smirk smeared on his face and said EKC can you see if you can fix the lad up as I'm in the middle of something. I took the wood screws out and removed the contraption from the stock. In the glass case were a couple of those old Bushnell 3/4 inch 2x7 rimfire scopes that have the tip off clamp incorporated right into the bottom of the scope. I slid that scope on to the tip off and tightened it down and then bore sighted it. The kid was amazed. He had no money and wondered if he could trade his scope and mount for the stuff that I had fixed him up with and I said but of course.

    Keith reappeared shortly after the boy left and asked me if I got the kid fixed up. I said that I had and asked him what one of those Bushnell Rimfire scopes was worth and he said $30. So I took $30 out of my wallet and put it in the cash register. Keith made a comment about that being real nice of me to pay for the kids scope. Then I showed him my 6x Kolmorgen scope. I didn't mention to Keith that I threw in a brick of Super X 22s just to make the kids day.

    That kid became the county road superintendent and came back into the store and bought a dozen or so guns before Keith closed the doors..... so it all worked out!

  10. #10
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,395

    Default

    My 22lr is a 60 too. just keeps plugging along.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •