Thread: Putting Unfleshed Bear Hide In Freezer?

Default Putting Unfleshed Bear Hide In Freezer?

I managed to take a brown bear over the weekend. I made it as far this weekend as getting it home, getting the skull out, then made it by F&G today for sealing. I was going to take it to my normal taxidermist who's done a few mounts for me over the years but when I gave him a call he told me he had retired from doing bear rugs. So now I'm on the search for an alternate taxidermist to do a bear rug.

I didn't just want to rush over an drop it off at some other taxidermist without doing a little research and stopping by to look at some of their work. The hide still needs the lips and ears turned, another knuckle taken out of the paws, and a good fleshing. I could do this work myself but I'm slow so it would take me a few nights after work to chip through it. I didn't want to leave it out unsalted or unfrozen for that long. So, I folded it skin to skin, rolled it up and dropped it in my freezer tonight.

Is the hide ok in this condition in the freezer for a week or two? Are there any negative consequences for putting it in the freezer in this condition?

Check out Juli the taxidermist on here. Her work is excellent.
    Also, Tim at Trophy Taxidermy is top notch.
    Both in the valley and both make fine bear rugs.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

The hide will be fine in the freezer for several months. You don't want to leave it in there for an extended time because it will eventually get freezer burn.

A bear hide can rot in the freezer,, the fur is so insulating that it will keep the hide from getting cold enough. Make sure the skin is out to the cold, fold it fur to fur making sure the face, (the most important) part is on top exposed to the cold.

Dave Whinny at Frontier Taxidermy in Valdez does amazing work.

Congrats!!!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

sent you a PM
    Hugh
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Thanks everyone.

Stid, I pulled it out of the freezer tonight after work to see if I couldn't re-roll the hide with the skin out but it was already about 25% frozen. I didn't want to start prying and pulling it apart to re-roll. So instead I rolled it as loosely as I could and still have it fit in my freezer. Then cranked my freezer temp down as low as it would go.

Turned my attention to trimming up meat tonight. I sauteed up some cubes of backstrap tonight and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Very happy I salvaged a good portion of the meat. Looking forward to some breakfast sausage

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    Thanks everyone.

Stid, I pulled it out of the freezer tonight after work to see if I couldn't re-roll the hide with the skin out but it was already about 25% frozen. I didn't want to start prying and pulling it apart to re-roll. So instead I rolled it as loosely as I could and still have it fit in my freezer. Then cranked my freezer temp down as low as it would go.

Turned my attention to trimming up meat tonight. I sauteed up some cubes of backstrap tonight and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Very happy I salvaged a good portion of the meat. Looking forward to some breakfast sausage
    One other thing to watch for, I have had them freeze in a way I could not get them out of the freezer and also had the hair freeze to the side and rip out. I try to keep them rolled skin out in a game bag.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Stid,
    I thought of too. I folded a couple trash bags and placed them between the game bag and side/bottom of the freezer. Thanks for bringing it up though. I'm sure many people have suffered the ill effects of their hide stuck to the side of the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    I managed to take a brown bear over the weekend. I made it as far this weekend as getting it home, getting the skull out, then made it by F&G today for sealing. I was going to take it to my normal taxidermist who's done a few mounts for me over the years but when I gave him a call he told me he had retired from doing bear rugs. So now I'm on the search for an alternate taxidermist to do a bear rug.

I didn't just want to rush over an drop it off at some other taxidermist without doing a little research and stopping by to look at some of their work. The hide still needs the lips and ears turned, another knuckle taken out of the paws, and a good fleshing. I could do this work myself but I'm slow so it would take me a few nights after work to chip through it. I didn't want to leave it out unsalted or unfrozen for that long. So, I folded it skin to skin, rolled it up and dropped it in my freezer tonight.

Is the hide ok in this condition in the freezer for a week or two? Are there any negative consequences for putting it in the freezer in this condition?
    It's the best way to freeze bears. In addition to who u did, a brown bear hide is big n heavy, so game bag works best compared to a black bear in a trash bag. But once bagged, compress it as much as possible to get the air out. My dads 10' brown bear hide this spring froze fast. We have for 18 years now froze all our bears this way.

For two reasons. Flesh to flesh won't rip out hairs. If u freeze hair to hair, once u roll it or fold it, rolling is best, u will get contact of raw flesh to hair. Once compressed there is no insulating factor. our guy who did my dads bear just retired too!! So can't refer you to him. This rug was done 3 weeks ago. Our guy did the whole shebang, flesh, turning, popping feet out and cleaned the skull for $1k! Sure gonna miss him!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk