Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass Pro Shops buying Cabela's

Default Bass Pro Shops buying Cabela's

looks like Cabela's is going away.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...tion/91459212/
    Josh
    In Egypt on the Sinai peninsula helping to take care of the ISIS problem.

Bye.....bye...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

This makes me sad. I hope they dont close stores, go cheaper on the product, and raise prices. I frequent the the local one for primers and the like.

It'all probably stay cabelas. Just under new ownership maybe?
    Master guide 212

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Cabelas won't go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Cabelas won't go away.
    We can always hope tho, can't we?
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    We can always hope tho, can't we?
    I hear you on that. I look at all the big outdoor stores just like I do macys or any of them stores. I shop at em when there is a good deal, but I don't have a favorite. People in Fairbanks were killing moose and catching fish long before Sportsmans got here.

It will all be Eddie Bauer.
    Tim

These companies spend millions building a brand...they won't abandon the Cabela's name or brand considering all the Cabela's labeled items and identity it has. More likely will be an eventual combining of brands in time. In years to come the Cabela's name could be swallowed into BPS and disappear.

I'm not for or against it. I'm at a point in life where it matters nothing to me. It amounts to a "Sears buys K-Mart" kind of thing. I almost never visit either store. When I do it's usually with a Walmart mentality: get in and get out.

I took Mr. Morris and his son fishing once. Polite, grateful and respectful of the staff. He's done OK considering he started by selling lures out the back of Bassmaster's Magazine. :-)

My daughter is a Cabelas upstairs employee and she tells me that Bass Pro will consolidate in the various markets where they overlap...ie Anchorage. The early word is the East Anchorage Bass Pro is going to close and the South Anchorage will stay open and the name will remain. The buy out will be much like Krogers and Fred Myers.

This is bad news for the East Anchorage shopping center that houses Bass Pro......

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
    Now outfitting in Unit 25 and Bettles

Two successful businesses which employ a lot of people. Reason for the merger/acquisition? An "activist shareholder" saw there was money to be extracted from the companies. In other words, the merger is driven by an investment firm looking to skim profit off the top. Profit that will not go to employees or to better prices for consumers. I am absolutely a capitalist, but this does nothing for the business and is strictly lining the pockets of the .01% who could care less about the company or US jobs.

"Cabela’s had been struggling in recent years with declines in same-store sales. A depressed stock price attracted Elliott Associates, an activist hedge fund, which announced in October it had amassed an 11 percent stake. At the time, Elliott indicated that it might seek to push for a sale of the entire business or parts of it."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/04/bu...elas.html?_r=0

I did find it amusing another article said Cabela's was struggling with competition from Gander Mountain. Cabelas bought out Gander's catalog business 20 some years ago and now Gander is competing again. My beef with this current merger is it is like much of what goes on lately in big business: Not the creation of new or better business, but the acquisition and destruction of current business which benefit only the purse string holders and leave the hard working employees holding the bag.

Remember the Sportsman's Warehouse debacle in 2009? A perfectly good company was bought by an undercapitalized Canadian company, which then had to sell off and close a majority of the SW stores to pay off its debts. Lucky for Alaska its stores weren't closed.

When Dick Cabela died, the customer service department did to. The products switched to more off shore junk. The named products disappeared, and so did their promise. I cut my points card and have no been back in years. Bass Pro was a good store, not great. Fewer sales of what I use.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

That was called progress Ron.
    Master guide 212

For 30 years I bought gear from Cabela's, back when it was "mail order", always loved their "branded" products. Now with the internet like it is, with great info that comes from other sportsman like the one's on this blog, I buy direct from manufactures like Simms and other great outfitters. I think that is where the future is. Companies like Cabela's and Bass Pro let themselves get into the "real estate" business with all the overhead that goes along with expensive leases etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    That was called progress Ron.
    What did the Lorax say, " sometimes progress progresses too fast".

Sad thing is even Filson sold out. I hope there is still a mom and pop up there I can buy gloves and hats from.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

If they get rid of the Cabela's name some of these hunting shows might actually start showing some hunting since they wont have to say If it weren't for this Cabela's this Cabela's that every 30 seconds
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I am in deep MOURNING. I have bought items from Cabela's for over 30 years and anticipate substandard, overpriced, Chinese goods to usurp its good name in the future. Bass Pro has always seemed to sell inferior yet, overpriced items at their stores. Cabela's was not perfect. Over the years there was some decline in the quality of their products. However, on average, there was no comparison!

A bigger issue that appears to be ignored is the fact that the demise of Cabela's speaks of our changing demographics and lessened interest in hunting. The days the average dad took their son hunting is disappearing. I am afraid, the unrelenting anti-gun and anti-hunting propaganda is taking hold in popular culture. I urge all of us who love the outdoors to SUPPORT merchants that provide us with goods and services. I visit Sportman's Warehouse religiously and try to buy from them all I can afford. I will even do my best to support Bass Pro. Hunters should support each other instead of cannibalizing our own.

And yes, people shot moose before SW was in Fairbanks. But, now, we still do it with much better stuff!

I'm with Coldfoot on this one, I've been shopping at Cabelas for over 30 years, that's where all the christmas and birthday gifts for my family came from. The salespeople on the phone were always so polite with this kid with his dad's Cabela's visa I trusted the quality would be there even when product lines changed and for the most part I was always pleased with what I ordered. The Cabela's Visa is the first credit card my wife and I got after getting married almost 19 yrs ago. Until the store opened, I was still calling Cabela's 800 number to place orders with the friendly sales people! They never steered me wrong It saddens me that predatory investors were able to get the business sold just for their own skimmed profit, they don't care about the employees nor the impact that Cabelas has on so many lives.
    Based on the shopping I've done at Bass Pro, I don't expect the Cabelas quality and customer service to remain the same, and that stinks. What about the wonderful customer service and warentees on my Cabelas branded items? They gladly exchanged an ice fishing hut a year after I purchased it when a pole broke in a massive gust of wind. Not only did they exchange it, they gave me the difference in cost as the new one was on sale, enough for me to get a new trout rod!
    I along with many others will greatly miss Cabelas customer service and quality goods and hope Bass Pro honors the high standard set by Cabelas.

Cabelas did set a bar in customer service no one else could touch.
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast