Thread: bear mauling

Default bear mauling

Interesting the guy supposedly had both bear spray and a gun. It sounds like the spray was an utter failure and the gun was never utilized.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/news...cid=spartandhp

And he made a public service video before going to the hospital. Talk about some big kahunas????

he definitely still had some adrenaline running through his system to be that cheerful and pleasant after bear attack and a 3 mile walk.
    Josh
    In Egypt on the Sinai peninsula helping to take care of the ISIS problem.

Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    he definitely still had some adrenaline running through his system to be that cheerful and pleasant after bear attack and a 3 mile walk.
    I'm thinking, still in shock. But, no doubt, you got to give the guy credit for being as composed as he was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_O View Post
    And he made a public service video before going to the hospital????
    Guys on the radio were talking about it this morn, and said the video was pretty disturbing. I guess his face was pretty torn up. First thing it made me think of though was it couldn't have been as bad as the old boy up off the Denali earlier this year. That's guy's face looked almost gone...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I saw the video. He seemed pretty composed considering the circumstances. Go BRNBR. Get a bunch more of them, and make the rest scared.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Guys on the radio were talking about it this morn, and said the video was pretty disturbing. I guess his face was pretty torn up. First thing it made me think of though was it couldn't have been as bad as the old boy up off the Denali earlier this year. That's guy's face looked almost gone...!!!
    No comparison to the guy up off the Denali hwy, that guys face was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I saw the video. He seemed pretty composed considering the circumstances. Go BRNBR. Get a bunch more of them, and make the rest scared.
    Too bad there ain't a nice fat bounty of them for awhile......lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Too bad there ain't a nice fat bounty of them for awhile......lol.
    Used to never see Brownies around here. Maybe a track once in a great while. Now they prance through the yard like they own the place. Black bears almost gone. moose calves live a day or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    No comparison to the guy up off the Denali hwy, that guys face was gone.

This guy was extremely lucky, and should be thanking his lucky stars and/or whatever God he happens to believe in. No comparison to what happened on the Denali highway, that was the worst thing I have ever seen in my life.

So this is the second bear mauling this summer where bear spray had no effect. The tourists in southeast being the other. I will never carry bear spray again instead of a rifle.......
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    So this is the second bear mauling this summer where bear spray had no effect. The tourists in southeast being the other. I will never carry bear spray again instead of a rifle.......
    I have used bear spray on some local dogs that would like to eat me. Not impressed. Have used up most of a can spraying them and they still come after me. At one place, the old lady that lives there comes out and yells at her dog to no avail. "Bear, bear, bear!" I think the dog just figures she is joining in on the barking. The old man (same age as me) doesn't even bother to come out.

He posted the story the next day on his FB page. Someone liked it and it popped up in my news feed so I read it having already seen the video and curious for more details. The bear actually mauled him twice!!! After it left the first time he headed down the trail watching his back to make sure she wasn't following him. Then suddenly she was on him again. Sounds like he was able to keep his head about him..... I vote gun over bear spray.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I am wondering if the sow would have done much more damage had he not sprayed her. Still, I plan on carrying a gun.