Thread: 1995 Hewescraft River Runner

Default 1995 Hewescraft River Runner

I am now the proud owner of my first boat! Just like the title says, I bought a Hewescraft 21ft river runner from a good buddy of mine who's moving out of state. It has a 350 Kodiak with a Berkeley jet and just over 400 hrs. Its had regular maintenance and seems to be in great condition for it's age. I was planning on buying a brand new Wooldridge this spring but this popped up out of nowhere and couldn't pass up the price, only paid 6,000! I feel like I got a killer deal on the boat and didn't have to take out a loan or shell out 40k plus on a new Wooldridge. I plan to buy one eventually but am going to become proficient on this one first so I'm not beating up a 40k dollar boat.

Now, for the backstory. I got my assistant guide license this year and was successful in getting my client a 64 inch bull at 30 yds! I also killed my second solo ram in back to back years! Anyhow, I'm getting a little off track (which I tend to do), The guided moose hunt was all boat based in a 16ft jon with 40 jet. This was my first jet boat experience and it was a very skinny shallow river so as you can imagine there was a MASSIVE learning curve! Lots of frustrating moments clearing out rocks and grass and learning where to get on step. So needless to say I don't have tons of boating experience like a lot of you guys do on here. After moose hunting out of a boat instead of an ATV like I'm used to, which I've had great luck with, I decided I MUST have a boat. Despite all the headache cleaning the clogged jet I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. I learn best from hard and frustrating situations out of my comfort zone. So I'm determined to master this jet boating thing as well.

So I'm hoping to gain a few things from this post.

1. Is this a decent boat and does anyone have any experience with them?

2. I don't know anything about inboards but have been doing a lot of reading trying to learn so hopefully you guys can offer some insight.

3. How do I winterize this thing or should I take it to someone?

4. This one may really be a stretch, but is there any local forum member who is a boating guru who'd be willing to share their time with me. Going over this thing from tip to tail and pass on any knowledge that may help keep my wife, 8yo son and I safe from breakdowns or other hazard on the water. Hunting and fishing are a family affair and they are both very proficient outdoorsmen in their own rights.

I'm not scared to tackle this head on but just didn't grow up boating very much and I just don't know anyone who can help me learn.
    I've had great success on AOD through the years and really respect a lot of the experience and just good people in general on here. I'd be happy to pay someone or buy beer, or share hunting knowledge as I'm very comfortable and have been very successful with all things hunting in this state. Now its time for a new challenge and so accessing more area via jet boat is next on the list!

Thanks Guys!

Billy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Its a great boat! I owned one identical to it for several years. The only downside to your specific boat (in my opinion anyways) is the jet. It has a small access hatch that you can open to get rocks and stuff out, my recommendation would be to get a stomp grate made for it. I cant tell you how many times I had rocks or kelp stuck in the jet and I had to stand on the back deck getting soaked trying to reach in and clear it. Also, backing up can be a challenge due to the jets design. Spend some good time alone in the boat backing and turning going both upstream and down to learn what you can, and more importantly cant do. If you plan to take it to the salt, invest in a good kicker. Navigating the harbor while keeping the kelp out is a real challenge up here.

The Kodiak motor is easy to work on, its your basic Chevy 350 with a few upgrades. Keep the oil changed and you should be golden. Drain the water through the manifold drains and the drain the strainer bowl. Run it in fresh water if you plan on using it in salt, you may or may not have a hose fitting on the port side of the motor which can make flushing a whole lot easier. Other than that, not much maintenance to it.

Good luck!

Same here, had one just like it. Ran it for a couple years on the rivers and out in the sound. Once I started going in the Sound I knew I needed a ocean worthy boat and that was the start of my ocean addiction. Be careful if you take that thing in the ocean and it will lead you into spending more money
    "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

Thanks guys I really appreciate the input!

I was considering a stomp grate, so good to hear it's a good idea. Would you know anywhere in the valley that I could have this done and any idea on how much it would run?

I have the identical boat and set up with the exception of the jet, mine's a Kodiak 3 stage. I love the boat and have used it in the rivers and sound this year (bought it last Oct). Man, $6K? You got a steal!!!

On the stomp grate, I bought mine from Pacific Powertrain (https://pacificpowertraininc.com/col...s/stomp-grates) and love it. I also purchased the air actuators so it is a push of a button from the console to clear the grate. That feature has come in handy a couple of times when it's not continent or easy to climb over gear or the slant back is on to reach the stomp grate.

For winterizing it, make sure you drain the fluids and you're fine. It takes me about 30 min to make sure everything is done. I usually pour some RV/marine anti-freeze into the manifold intakes until it runs out the manifolds to ensure all the water is out and they will not freeze on me over the winter.

If you want to come out and take a look at my set up PM me and we can set a time.

Your boat is 21 years old, that in its self is not a problem if maintain properly. You mention it was regular maintain, that good. Not knowing who did the work or what was done. I would take it to a marine shop that has a reputation for knowing what there doing, have them inspect the engine, battery wiring, fuel tanks, bulge area for bad welds, corrosion, water soaked foam, outdrive and the trailer for cracks and look at the brakes and bearing. To get a idea of what needs to be fix now if anything and what can be put off until later.

I would make a list of what needs to be done to winterized the boat. If you decide to do it yourself, buy the tools you will need and learn the proper way to do it.

If your batteries are a few years old, I would replace them in the spring. If not, buy yourself a three stage charger design for the batteries (bulk, absorption, and float). Remove the negative battery cables, charge each battery. In the spring reconnect the negative cables it's that simple or replace them every three years.