Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DIY European Mount

I did pre-drill the holes in the skull but just eyeballed it. You will have enough play so when you tighten things down you can adjust it a bit. Feeding the toggle nut into the brain cavity with some needle nose pliers was a hassle but only took a couple of tries. It was a bit tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by ptarmigan View Post
    I did pre-drill the holes in the skull but just eyeballed it. You will have enough play so when you tighten things down you can adjust it a bit. Feeding the toggle nut into the brain cavity with some needle nose pliers was a hassle but only took a couple of tries. It was a bit tricky.

Did you use any rubber washers to keep from cracking the bone when you tightened it?
    Josh
    In Egypt on the Sinai peninsula helping to take care of the ISIS problem.

I didn't use any washers but the toggle nut is big enough and the spread great enough I don't think I'll have any issues. The skull where I drilled is quite thick also. Pretty sure my kids could hang off of the whole works without moving it!

Quote Originally Posted by ptarmigan View Post
    I didn't use any washers but the toggle nut is big enough and the spread great enough I don't think I'll have any issues. The skull where I drilled is quite thick also. Pretty sure my kids could hang off of the whole works without moving it!
    LOL, good to know although i wouldn't recommend letting your kids hang off it... the next thing you'll see would be a rope over the antlers with the kids swinging back and forth.
    Josh
    In Egypt on the Sinai peninsula helping to take care of the ISIS problem.

I mounted it to the wall using a square metal electric box cover I had laying around. I cut out a channel with a dremel in the cover for the 3/8" lag bolt that I put in my wall. This way I could just slide the plaque right over the bolt. I had enough material in the plaque so I could use a speedbore to carve the channel in the wood behind the cover. Not wanting to take chances I did add two more screw holes to the cover. The last thing I added was a couple of thin sticky felt pads to the back of the plaque so it would stay put and not rub the wall. I know you can buy mounting brackets but I had the stuff and it wasn't going to cost me anything. It only took about 10 minutes to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    LOL, good to know although i wouldn't recommend letting your kids hang off it... the next thing you'll see would be a rope over the antlers with the kids swinging back and forth.
    Haha, I could see my two boys doing that if they thought they could get away with it!

Quote Originally Posted by KJH View Post
    I have a friend who does quite a few skulls each year. His favotite process is to skin it out as best you can but without too much effort... Then leave it frozen in the winter in the shed to keep mice and squirrels from chewing on the antlers. The once spring comes around he attaches a stainless cable to it and tosses it in a pond for a couple of weeks. It comes out mostly cleaned, inside and out. He then sprays it with a Hotsy pressure washer and its done. Very little effort. No boiling, no stink. Of course, he has to bleach once its done.
    this one's a great tip

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123