Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY European Mount

Wow! Very nice Brian!!!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Looks great Brian!
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayz12 View Post
    Basic White and 40% hydrogen peroxide. Mix together to a peanut butter consistency and apply to the skull with a paint brush and cover with saran wrap for three days. Rinse with water and dry. Repeat if needed for touchup. If you donr degrease the skull will likely yellow some over time.

You can get the basic white a peroxide at Sally Beauty. It'll do a way better job that straight hydrogen peroxide. Just a note the hydrogen peroxide you buy at Walgreens is like 3% or something by volume. Itll whiten some but wont do as good as job as the 40% and Basic White.
    If you're referring to the Volume 40 stuff you get at the beauty supply place, I believe that's a 12% solution.

Default DIY European Mount

I simmered my caribou skull in dawn detergent, pressure washed, then the 40 volume treatment. After drying a few days I sealed it with some elmers/water mix. Cut out a plaque from some scrap live edge and put it up tonight. Pretty happy with it.

Looks really good Ptarmigan! Did you do anything to the antlers themselves?
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Looks good, i like the rough plaque.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Looks really good Ptarmigan! Did you do anything to the antlers themselves?
    I just hit them with the pressure washer to get the blood and dirt off of them. Not sure what, if anything, I should do to them. Any suggestions?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by ptarmigan View Post
    I just hit them with the pressure washer to get the blood and dirt off of them. Not sure what, if anything, I should do to them. Any suggestions?
    Rub with a little beeswax.

Wipe the antlers with Mop and Glow floor wax. It will give them a very slight sheen but not glossy. It will last forever. Just wipe the dust off of them each year.
    If you ever take a close look at antlers as soon as you shoot something, you will notice that they have a shine to them. This is from constantly rubbing them on brush. Within several months after you shoot something, the antlers become flat looking. Look at some of your older mounts. The antlers look flat. Easy fix with the floor wax. They will look alive again.

I did a deer skull last year that is showing a little yellow and I think it didn't get enough degreasing. Is there anything wrong with repeating the process? I'm thinking about doing the dish soap thing again and giving it another dip in the peroxide if it needs it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

First time I ever did my own euro mounts I was 16 with a pair of javelina skulls. I simmered/scraped/simmered/scraped, and did a dawn soap simmer too. Hit it with the peroxide and called it good. Sure enough, a year later they were yellow, cheesy, and stinky. This time I soaked them for 2 weeks in gasoline and then allowed them to air dry for another month. Redid the peroxide and they are still perfect 11 years later.

Injun, I think you are completely fine to go back and redo whatever degreasing method you want

I've done them by boiling and maceration followed by a pressure washer. Much prefer maceration. With a moose I put it in a tote with the antler resting on the sides above the water line and drape a towel over the rest of the skull so water can wick up it and I also pour water over the towel from time to time. Let it sit for a couple months, pull it out and hit with pressure washer then bleach with 12% hydrogen peroxide cream.

I simmered my caribou skull in dawn detergent, pressure washed, then the 40 volume treatment. After drying a few days I sealed it with some elmers/water mix. Cut out a plaque from some scrap live edge and put it up tonight. Pretty happy with it.
    Looks great! How did you attach the skull to the plaque?

Quote Originally Posted by injun joe View Post
    Looks great! How did you attach the skull to the plaque?

I used a 1/4" x 3" (might have been 4"?) toggle bolt, drilled through the plaque and anchored in the skull cavity. I didn't oversize the hole in the skull so it was a bit tricky threading the bolt into the toggle while holding it with some needle nose pliers. I also put a 3" woodscrew into the lower portion of the skull to stabilize it. It's super solid!

Where in Anchorage or Eagle River can you get the 40 volume peroxide?

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    Where in Anchorage or Eagle River can you get the 40 volume peroxide?
    40 volume is 12%. 50vol is 15%
    Sally's beauty supplying in ANC and valley carr 30,40&50 vol liquid and cream.

Univar in ANC has 30% and in large quantities.

I used a 1/4" x 3" (might have been 4"?) toggle bolt, drilled through the plaque and anchored in the skull cavity. I didn't oversize the hole in the skull so it was a bit tricky threading the bolt into the toggle while holding it with some needle nose pliers. I also put a 3" woodscrew into the lower portion of the skull to stabilize it. It's super solid!
    Thanks for the info! Would you be willing to post a photo of the plaque/skull interface looking in from the side?

I've never put them on a plaque, so this is helpful. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by injun joe View Post
    Thanks for the info! Would you be willing to post a photo of the plaque/skull interface looking in from the side?

I've never put them on a plaque, so this is helpful. Thanks again!

Hopefully this helps. You can't see the bottom screw because it's behind the teeth.

That helps. Thanks!

So did you just pre-drill the holes in the skull? How do you make sure to drill at the right angle? I'm almost to this stage and I'm a tad nervous to say the least. And you had to fish the toggle nut in through the hole into the brain cavity? This all seems like a tricky endeavor. Good job on yours!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast