Thread: Tikka barrel swap

Default Tikka barrel swap

I think my plan will work, but I'm throwing this question up to the experts here.

So I want a left handed Tikka T3x in 338 win mag. Yes, I know it's going to kick. Anyways, such a configuration isn't brought into the US. But EuroOptics has right handed T3's in 338 win mag for $499. If I also get a left handed T3x in some other chambering, will a barrel swap be as simple as it sounds? I'd turn around and sell the remaining rifle. Is there any reason to get the left handed T3x in a particular chambering to make the barrels mate best with the actions? I believe the long actions are identical and barrels are of the same contour, but I'm not a Tikka expert. I would have a gunsmith do the barrel swap for sure. Anyone have any good gunsmith recommendations and idea for how much it would cost?

Can you think of any bugs in the plan?

Why not just buy a lefty and have a smith put a custom barrel on it?

This gentleman does very good work: http://cmgunworks.com/
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Why not just buy a lefty and have a smith put a custom barrel on it?

This gentleman does very good work: http://cmgunworks.com/

So that I can sell a completed rifle instead of just a barrel, and I like the factory Tikka barrels.

My thought was that a custom barrel wouldn't be much more work for the smith and likely produce better results. Might be less expensive in the long run too...

Regardless, you'd probably be best served to consult the smith you want to do the job and get his advice.

I can highly recommend Greg (Council Gunworks). He does very high quality work.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    My thought was that a custom barrel wouldn't be much more work for the smith and likely produce better results. Might be less expensive in the long run too...

Regardless, you'd probably be best served to consult the smith you want to do the job and get his advice.

I can highly recommend Greg (Council Gunworks). He does very high quality work.
    I figure my plan would end up costing me about $700 plus the gunsmith fee, which will likely be cheaper than a custom barrel route and especially not shipping out-of-state. It won't be a tricky job, I am sure a local smith can do the work, heck I could probably do it myself if I had the barrel vice and gauges. And I'll be happy with the factory barrel.

You will obviously need to make sure your lefty action is long and has a mag bolt face.

Not sure if Tikka uses an extractor cut, if so there is potential for a conflict between left and right. If not, then it would be relatively easy for a gunsmith. Most likely require some machine work, doubtful it would be plug and play.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMtnRunner View Post

Can you think of any bugs in the plan?
    Barrel contour. Unless the left hand magnum rifle you start with, let's say a 300 win mag, has the same barrel contour as the 338, you'll have an excessive gap in the right hand gun when you swap the 300 win mag barrel on, and you'll have to hog out the barrel channel on the left hand action to fit the 338 barrel.

The machine work to swap the barrels isn't that hard, but you have to assume the barrels will need to be indexed. Which is to say when they are screwed on the lettering won't line up and the shoulder will have to be set back and the tenon cut back and then the chamber cut to depth. That's $100-150 per rifle and you won't be selling a factory new right hand rifle, you'll be selling one that has been customized and expect to take a hit on the resale, say at least $100. Figure you'll be out $400 +/- to swap the barrels and sell one gun at a loss, and that's if the barrel countour isn't in issue, if it is good luck selling the right hand gun with the goofy looking barrel channel and plan another $100 for hogging out the lefty to fit the 338 tube. Personally I'd just get the left hand gun and have a match grade 338 fit. You'll be out about the same money and won't have to deal with trying to sell the other rifle.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.