Thread: Bear Spray, No Gun, No First aid Kit

Default Bear Spray, No Gun, No First aid Kit

No Gun, and apparently no first aid kit. Alone.

Graphic Video. The story says he was attacked twice by the same bear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK609rbSBLs

If you read his account of it he did have a gun however didn't have time or wasn't able to get to it. He was carrying a pistol on his chest but I think he thought the bear spray would do the job. He never says why he didn't use the gun or what caliber it was he just mentions having one.
    Gotta hand it to this guy he kept a pretty positive attitude about it after being chewed up like that.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

In this interview he reports that it was torn off him during the attack.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

I should have read the whole thing. My bad. I'm going to go get a cup of coffee. The blurb i read didn't have that. Fox News clip.

I'm glad he came out as well as he did. It's easy to armchair quarterback such an event, but, and I speak from my own, luckily unharmed experience, they are FAST, and you just never know. I used to know a guy, a committed bicycle rider, something about a DUI, who was proud of never having a weapon out in the bush while riding. Yeah, whatever. . . .

All in all, I would say he is one tough guy! What a story he will have for the grandkids!

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    All in all, I would say he is one tough guy! What a story he will have for the grandkids!
    Yes and all the scars to go with it.

Seems like when he used the bear spray the bear was close and already at max speed and just blew into him. I'm not sure even a hand gun at that point would have been much help. But yes, one tough guy with a positive attitude about it. Good luck to him for a speedy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Seems like when he used the bear spray the bear was close and already at max speed and just blew into him. I'm not sure even a hand gun at that point would have been much help.
    Until you've been charged, you just can't imagine how fast they're coming.

If you don't have your choice of tools in your hands when it starts, you're not likely to get it into your hands in time to make any difference.

If the charge is starting at 10 or 15 yards, imagine stepping in front of a car doing 30 mph at that distance. You're going to be doing really good to get your body on out of the way, much less digging around on your body for tools to stop it. And even if you get your hand working in time, it's still going to run right over you. If he's close and coming full tilt and you manage to use your tool of choice, simple inertia is going to carry him right over the top of you.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

In addition, unless the rules have changed since I lived there (I doubt they've gotten more lenient) if you shoot a grizzly in Montana, never mind a sow with cubs, you'd better have like four witnesses none of whom are related to you nearby. That alone may make you hesitate long enough to be too late to draw your gun.