Thread: mice & the beets!

Default mice & the beets!

How do ya keep them out? We were at the cabin (where the garden is) & the kitty did a good job of keeping mice, voles & shrews out of the garden- but when we left to hunt & were gone for a month the mice ate the heck out of the beets & tried some of the carrots too. Is there a good way to keep rodents out of the garden & still have it be relatively safe for other pets?

I think I'll post soon & ask to see pix of gardens.... I love seeing other peoples gardens!

Pitfall traps would be my choice.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

iofthetiaga- using buckets? I'd have to eek out a spot (haha) and get more buckets! I'm protective of my buckets at the cabin.

#10 cans are plenty deep for shrews, and pretty reliable for voles, tho lemmings and some more robust mice will probably climb/jump out of them. You could make them double deep by cutting both ends out of one and stacking them by taping them together with duct tape (aluminum mastic tape is best).

The smaller 3-4 gallon buckets like bulk detergents come in work really good. 5 gallon buckets are serious overkill.

Whatever you use, drill/punch the bottoms so they don't fill with water.

Unfortunately, there's really no way to target just the offenders (the rodents), while sparing the shrews. Shrews aren't vegetarians, they're meat eaters; technically insectivores. They're voracious little consumers of any/all insects, bugs, grubs, worms, or carrion they can catch. So, generally good in the garden.

Those ****ed voles are the primary suspects, followed by any lemmings or mice you may have. The voles have been hell on my potatoes this year too. Eventually, I'll have all raised beds, with pitfalls around the outside!
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It