Thread: Track rigs

Default Track rigs

Anybody want to share advice on track rigs? Thinkin about thiokols or something similar. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have run a few. Thiokol, Nodwell and Bombardier. I am currently spending my money on a Hagglunds Bv206.

What are you intending to use it for?
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

lookin for a moose buster. have some ideas on places that have such thick brush and small trees so too much to get through with side by or wheeler. a small pull behind trailer would be great too. which one did you have the best results with, or....since you are going hagglund did none of them work out?

Think small then. A little Thiokol will be easier to unstick if you break thru the swamp mat or ice. Nodwells are great for big country and heavy loads. Just bigger than I ever needed. My Hagg is a camp on tracks and only weighs about 9,000#. One thing about the Hagg is that it is amphibious.
    Carry a couple of large hand hoists and lots of rope. It'll get you out of a pickle. A winch is also very nice to have. Attachment 90777
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

The Bv206's are fun. I used to work on them a lot in a past life.
    Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    I have run a few. Thiokol, Nodwell and Bombardier. I am currently spending my money on a Hagglunds Bv206.

What are you intending to use it for?

Where can you find a hagglund or thiokol for sale. See them rarely on craigs. A google look has quite a few in canada

Today on craigslist are 2 rigs. A Thiokol and a Bomby. Priced fair and seem to be worth a look.

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/snw/5788142052.html

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/snw/5807425954.html

There is also a Nodwell listed.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

This is what you want right here!
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/snw/5818255388.html

I've been busting moose in these machines for 20 years and they do an incredible job. I've never been stuck More than a few minutes and never had ANY big mechanical issues in the feild. But you do need to put the load in a trailer. I have plenty of photos of my set up if anyone is interested.

Default pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Predator Control View Post
    This is what you want right here!
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/snw/5818255388.html

I've been busting moose in these machines for 20 years and they do an incredible job. I've never been stuck More than a few minutes and never had ANY big mechanical issues in the feild. But you do need to put the load in a trailer. I have plenty of photos of my set up if anyone is interested.
    I would like to see what you have. if you are in anchorage, would you mind showing me your rig? my email is 375@gci.net
    thanks

I like that bomby the mushers have for sale. thanks for the tip.

I think the bomby is really ment for snow conditions. They build those machines lighter duty so they dont sink in deep powder. Moving a moose or two, plus camp while breaking trail takes a pretty stout machine with the right gearing and engine. The Wide, deep aluminum grousers on the Bomby would be great in snow, but not so good crossing rocky creeks, tight turning on dry ground and pushing over more than brush. I owned a Thikol IMP and was afraid to take it Moose hunting. They called it "all terrain" but it was really only good in the snow and even then you had to baby it. Built with a sheet metal tub and 1" x 1/8" steel angle supports, it just wasnt ment for any abuse.The J5 tub is 1/4" steel, nothing in the woods can really mess it up except big rocks. BUT its terrible in snow conditions deeper than about 15". They are a muskeg / swamp / smaller timber loving machine. If you Keep them away from boulders, and realize they don't float, they can can get you in and out of some pretty knarley places pulling a heavy loaded trailer. here's a few photos of my rig and my hunting partners J5. They work good in pairs. 20160908_133816-resized-1400.jpgimg_4825-resized-1400.jpg

Why hasn't anyone mentioned a Weasel? I've got one and it'll go anywhere and would pull a house if I could hook onto it. It uses a ton of fuel and takes a three day weekend to grease all the fittings, but cost a fraction of what is being talked about here. Plus they're just plain cool!

P3040230.jpgPlus if you mount antlers on the front they'll double as a decoy.

Talking You started it

Loading with no pain. Shot moose about a mile from road. Drug thru foot deep water and willows, called buddy with loader.

No pain packing.

Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    Loading with no pain. Shot moose about a mile from road. Drug thru foot deep water and willows, called buddy with loader.

No pain packing.

How the heck did you get him up there! Lol

Thats way to Cool for me!

Yep. Gotta love to cut them up hanging

[QUOTE=LOCALAK907;1564314]How the heck did you get him up there! Lol

See the first picture. He brought his loader to where I could get the moose drug to. He picked it up and set it on there. I used an excavator to unload him.

Since I was alone, I just gutted him and laid back the skin as much as possible. 2 AM was when I quit for the night. The next morning I cut him into true quarters. I never hung one for more than a day or 2. This one hung for 11 days. I think he is as tender a moose as I ever had. Tasty too!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

I was wondering how you were going to unload it when you got home. That's some serious moose meat handling equipment! Our moose camp the last few years is about 30 miles off the road so we make due with simpler methods to hang them. The adventure of going to and coming out of moose Camp is half the fun for me. I like driving my rig with a full load. img_4930-resized-1400.jpg20160921_115752-resized-1400.jpg