Thread: A Dork and a Kork testing capacity

Default A Dork and a Kork testing capacity

I was told once that there is no such thing as an 11' raft that will haul an entire bull moose and one guy plus expedition gear and still be maneuverable in a remote setting.

Although this bull was small, i am impressed with the amount of free board available and how maneuverable once everything was loaded.

The Kork weighs 42-lbs. with the inflatable floor, which is removable.

Non-bailer with a 2" floor.

Estimated load = 770 lbs

I think I might have gotten the same load and river scenario done with a PR-49 HD with a floor insert, but not nearly as safely as with the Kork. The Kork picked up the slack in weight hauling and the river required maximum maneuverability. Tricky tricky

https://pristineventures.com

Ok... more data please...lol

I'm kinda obsessed with this flotation thing.

"small bull".. did you bone it out? Man I hate doing it, but being not as young as I once was, and having two pretty evil portages, I may start! My son went this year, and he can walk up to the pile for portage, take a hind quarter, toss it over his shoulder, and tromp through mud and stumps no problem.. I just cannot.

I'm looking at getting smart about gear as well... pack like a sheep hunter. I mean, I carry a full size cast iron pan. I like tenderloins cooked on real iron, with onions, butter and garlic.. and carrying the pan is worth it... ALMOST!! hehehe..

So what are you getting the meat pile down to in terms of weight on a "small bull"? I'm thinking 350-400 is doable?

What were you drawing with the total load? I'm guessing you at 190? Ah, you answered this... 770 pounds... yea, I need to get lighter.

All I know, is the high water this Fall sure made "floating" a lot easier..lol

bone in. that kork looks great, thinking of getting the x stream, also want to build two freighter canoes. Want to take my wife and son along on the hunts too. Thats why the xstream and maybe a kork.

Quote Originally Posted by dudemandude View Post
    bone in. that kork looks great, thinking of getting the x stream, also want to build two freighter canoes. Want to take my wife and son along on the hunts too. Thats why the xstream and maybe a kork.

yea if all I had to do was go downriver... my set up of a Soar canoe with a PR-49 attached to the bow(16 foot canoe, 12 foot PR-49 tied bow head) works amazingly well. I was amazed how maneuverable it was with just a single canoe paddle...and you are drawing almost nothing in each boat with the weight spread out...AND hen you hit shallows and need to drag/portage, you have options..

I have 20 miles of upriver... so kinda limited to a canoe.

I am toying with pontoons(break one of those one man pontoon fishing craft apart)... a pontoon each side, and maybe use the frame as well to row... we'll see.

ok.. got off topic a bit... the new boat looks pretty cool

I personally prefer to keep the bones in on a moose when floating because of the leverage and structure they provide to the load.

8 days after harvest I weighed in 423-lbs without rib bones but with leg bones. Of course the first few days the meat load was 10-12% heavier prior to draining and vapor exchange. So, starting weight was likely close to 475-lbs.

My gear list on this trip was slim (70-lbs with food for 12 days) because I hadn't yet learned how the Kork's CG would behave loaded and with a wild man at the reigns. I think the secret to making small boats work well with meat loads is being able to split apart your total weight in gear bags so that distribution is allowed to spread out where available. About 5-6 smaller drybags vs. 1-2 big ones is what I mean.

Draft? 5.6 inches with total load, leaving me with slightly more than 50% above water (free board). The black portion on the bottom of the boat is a 1000 denier PVC wrap that covers 52% of the boat, and it extends to about 7" from the floor to the edge of the black material. I'm pretty confident that I could have added another 25% (175-180 lbs) but would have needed another 2" of water depth.

Awesome video Larry! Looking forward to receiving my Kork this winter. Congrats on another adventure

Thanks for taking the time to film and share your adventures Larry.....and especially for innovating new products to expand the boundaries of what's possible. Have you thought of tying on short piece of floating webbing to the bow and stern? It's light and easy to tuck away when not being used. From the video it looks like it would be easier to have a short leash on the boats for some of the lining.

Looked like a few pucker up moments with the high CofG.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

yeah Yukoner, quite a few puckers. CG is always gonna be challenged with heavy loads and small rafts.

But what defines Alaskans is getting it done with what tools we have.

Fun stuff these challenges.

It seems you are really exploring the possibilities and design of the narrower boats such as the Kork. Are you going to be focusing on these designs and remove the Levitator out of the Pristine lineup?
    i was amazed at how well the Levitator maneuvered in small, narrow channels, especially for such a large raft. The possibilities for the Kork in my neck of the woods have me looking really hard at my maps.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

No plans to remove the Levitator from the lineup. It's a load hauler and some guys just need that size raft.

Yeah, i have started to check off those rivers once just ? marks on maps. These boats have made the difference in proof of theory.