Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hudson Bay Brings Home The Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by North61 View Post
    Speaking of come-a-longs........One is rated for 1500 pounds and uses a rope. Beautiful. I bring it on skidoo and ATV and Canoe trips as it is fairly compact and having 50 or 100 foot of rope is very handy........
    I too use that same "rope-a-long". I used it this hunting season to "winch" my boat over a big spruce log that was across the width of the creek and sticking above the water about 4 -5 inches. I jumped the same log when running empty but with the full loaded boat I decided to winch over. I also take it with me on the back country snow machine trips as well.

North,
    Great hunt, thanks for posting! You won't win any speed competitions, but that little 14 hp copperhead is a workhorse of a motor. I was thrilled to see you getting the job done with a classic lever gun too. Do you still use the 1895 in .405 win too? Seems like these old lever guns are really getting the job done for you lately. Nothing is more handy in a canoe, than a 18-20 in barreled lever gun. Almost all hunting situations near water are close enough. When these big bulls threaten to die near swamp holes or in the river, the rapid follow-up shot can't be beat.

Yes I still have the 405. The Win 95 is a great rifle as well. The Win 71 handles just a tad better but has only 80 % of the thump factor. Turns out to be enough for moose though. Never dropped one like that before.

Video back up...I thought it was too long so took it down and edited 4 minutes out of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo9zXoYxq7A

Quote Originally Posted by North61 View Post
    Video back up...I thought it was too long so took it down and edited 4 minutes out of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo9zXoYxq7A

Thanks for the great hunt video with your son by canoe and using your vintage .348 Winchester.

I had a Browning reproduction and loved it. The 200 grain Hornaday bullet is a fine game round. Larger bullets in that caliber are very good too. Hope to see more of your epic hunt videos in the future. Love those canoes too.
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

Great hunt and great video. I think your good shot had more to do with him dropping like a rock. That's just where I try to hit them too when I want to be planted where they are standing. Done it several times with the little 32 special in Model 94 win. Thy don't take a step.

Again, really like the video. Great country.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

yes..shot placement is the most important thing. However the 348 does give extra style points. Thanks all.

Just wondering what the is the deal with the other canoe on top? Could you also share some the decision making in the 14hp copper motor. Decision process that led you to that decision.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Some small lakes that can be portaged too so the canoe on top is to allow us to get into those lakes. Can't portage the 270 pound Scott very easy. The 14HP is because it's what I could afford at the time and it is light enough for my old body to handle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12