Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hudson Bay Brings Home The Bacon

Default Hudson Bay Brings Home The Bacon

Pretty tired. My son and I just got home with a bunch of meat...not much time to hunt this year so I spent a lot of time on the maps and plotted out a trip that was easy for the surface drive and freighter canoe but harder for normal mortals. I also brought the Tripper paddle canoe strapped on top for a couple of portages that in the end and (thankfully) we didn't have to make. Within 2 hours of departing in our canoe we had a moose down. I really like that I was able to make use of my Winchester 71 in 348 Win. The moose hit high on the shoulder just as it was entering solid ground didn't take another step! I did lose some meat and next time might used 250 grain bullets at a slower speed.

1) Loading the 348..notice the 14HP Copperhead over my shoulder. Magnificent motor!

The moose emerged following a female which we had spotted earlier. He was missing an antler but was of good eating size.

The moose dropped as if hit with a hammer. Satisfying...also nice that we could get the boat 10 feet away from where he fell.

More to follow after some sleep and meat hanging. I will say the 14 HP and the Scott Freighter loaded with 600 pounds of moose and 600 pounds of people and gear handled very well. After 16 years with this boat I am always impressed with what it can do.

Good on ya!

A great job with a great old rifle.

A very satisfying trip with your son. Most folks just don't understand the capabilities of canoes. I'm digging through old slides in an attempt to find a 50 year old pic of my canoe loaded with moose........it's not as impressive as Ted's photo but still displays the capabilities of a canoe. You live in great canoe country.

Good job on winter meats
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

North, as always, love your pics and videos. Keep em' coming.

Thanks all...the office body has responded well to losing 25 pounds and some hill training this summer. Want to be ready for sheep next year only 60 pounds to go! I realized month or go that I can train for sheep hunting in part by hunting-playing hard whenever I can. Beats the stairs but these moose quarters are heavy enough that I think I need to add more weight training. Great trip. Fun to share it with you all.

Great story and video. That moose has a lot of browtines did it drop the other antler or was it just one horned?
    Thanks for sharing your hunt.

It looked like he broke it off...he was also pretty bruised I think he was bullied during in the rut!

What we are up to today

Congrats! I'm hoping to use my Grandfather-In-Laws Model 71 for blacktails this fall and maybe moose some year.

Really enjoyed the video. I appreciated the time and effort you took into showing the care you took into harvesting the meat. Well done!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Nice...Congrats!

Steven..the 348 is a very special caliber. This is an extremely well balanced firearm and caliber. Powerful enough for any North American game , surprisingly flat shooting and low recoil. Remarkably good design. I doubt if I could have made this shot with any other rifle I own. Comes up, balances, sights on, blam, game down. Like using a fine shot-gun. When I first got it I didn't fully appreciate it's grace. The last of the Winchester classic levers, the old time guard at Winchester really got this one right!

I am quite found of the 348, although I must admit I've only shot the rifle once. The rifle resides in a rural SE AK town that I only make it to once a year, and the ammunition supply for it was quite low. Fortunately, over the past year I have managed to acquire the necessary dies and components and have reloaded some rounds for it, so it can be shot more often now!

Do you have any favorite load combinations you'd be willing to share?

Work up (or down) carefully...
    200 Hornady FN, 62.0g 4451 and Magnum Primers
    200 Hornady Flex Tip 62.0 H414
    250 grain Woodleigh 55.0 H414
    220 Barnes O 58.0 H414

The good old Moose lakes chain, it never fails. Funny how many times I hear about folks planning on heading all the any up the chain, and they get their moose even before they leave the first lake. Funny in a good way that is.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

We were ready for anything and that's when things tend to get easy! Fun trip

Quote Originally Posted by North61 View Post
    Work up (or down) carefully...
    200 Hornady FN, 62.0g 4451 and Magnum Primers
    200 Hornady Flex Tip 62.0 H414
    250 grain Woodleigh 55.0 H414
    220 Barnes O 58.0 H414
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by North61 View Post
    We were ready for anything and that's when things tend to get easy! Fun trip
    Och aye lad. When you don't have a come-a-long is when the Moose picks a nasty bog to expire in.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_JR View Post
    Thanks!

Lots of variations of loads in the manuals for the 348...these are max loads in my rifle and so be careful...These used Win Brass which has a lot more capacity than the Jamison. I need to go down a full 4-5 grains when using Jamison Brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Och aye lad. When you don't have a come-a-long is when the Moose picks a nasty bog to expire in.
    Speaking of come-a-longs...I relegated my chinese canadian tire version to the junk heap and bought two made in the USA Maasdam hoists. One is rated for 1500 pounds and uses a rope. Beautiful. I bring it on skidoo and ATV and Canoe trips as it is fairly compact and having 50 or 100 foot of rope is very handy. I have the 50 foot version.

The other is a huge 3 ton (6000 pound) version that has enormous leverage but is very slow. I use it in the truck. Both are wonderful to use. The rope version is fast and very time efficient. Can't say enough good things about them.

https://www.amazon.ca/Maasdam-Capacity-Puller-100-Feet-Diameter/dp/B000PWJTC8

http://www.maasdam.com/6000s.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast