Thread: Br Bear hunting Kenai Refuge

Default Br Bear hunting Kenai Refuge

Can you hunt Brown Bear off of Mystery Creek rd on the refuge with a registration permit? Fed regs not clear . Thanks

I am heading down Friday to hunt that area so I'm going with yes. Not sure why you couldn't

What's their quota this year?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

last year i called the fish and game office to ask if the refuge was open to bear hunting and they referred me to the refuge office. so i'd give them a call. when i called (last year) they said the refuge was open to black bear hunting but not brown.

Quote Originally Posted by ak-fang View Post
    last year i called the fish and game office to ask if the refuge was open to bear hunting and they referred me to the refuge office. so i'd give them a call. when i called (last year) they said the refuge was open to black bear hunting but not brown.
    Are you sure that wasn't just for browns over bait?

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Are you sure that wasn't just for browns over bait?
    no, i'm not sure...all i vaguely remember is them saying the 'refuge is closed to brown bear hunting.' i didn't think to ask if they were just talking about bait.

Quote Originally Posted by ak-fang View Post
    no, i'm not sure...all i vaguely remember is them saying the 'refuge is closed to brown bear hunting.' i didn't think to ask if they were just talking about bait.
    Well it's always been closed to baiting browns but not blacks. But it has been open to regular brown bear hunting for the last couple years with them closing it after a certain number of sows and boars are killed. So unless they've already reached their quota, which I would think would be highly unlikely already seeing that the season opened Sept 1, then it should still be opened. Probably would be better just calling F&G.....who knows who could have answered the phone over there at the refuge....lol.

You pull up Fed regulations and it will leave your head spinning, they recommend it to be closed with no conclusion. Who knows there is a bar code for regulations at the trail site with no internet and it goes to AK F&G? No one to talk to on the WE, so I still don,t know uncomfortable with killing one on refuge and disclosing kill site. Would like a yes or no. There was a lot of talk about closing Brown Bear hunting on the refuge but cant find the conclusion.

I would definitely call the refuge headquarters and not ADF&G.
    The refuge is managed differently than the state lands.
    I believe the refuge wants a higher bear count then the state does.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    You pull up Fed regulations and it will leave your head spinning, they recommend it to be closed with no conclusion. Who knows there is a bar code for regulations at the trail site with no internet and it goes to AK F&G? No one to talk to on the WE, so I still don,t know uncomfortable with killing one on refuge and disclosing kill site. Would like a yes or no. There was a lot of talk about closing Brown Bear hunting on the refuge but cant find the conclusion.
    Yeah, it seems that trying to find any bear hunting info online about hunting on the refuge is futile. But I just found this:

Both State of Alaska and Refuge specific regulations apply, so please insure you know the rules before venturing out on your hunt.

I know it doesn't help you this weekend, but if it were me, I'd just call F&G in the morning to get the specific info you need....

I called and had a conversation with someone at the refuge on Friday morning. As long as you possess the state reg. tag/locking tag, it is open to hunt brownies. I'm going myself fairly soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bruin View Post
    As long as you possess the state reg. tag/locking tag, it is open to hunt brownies.
    Is that all they told you, meaning how many they are wanting killed boar/sows? How bout where you can find info on emergency closures and such? I understand that you may not have asked, I'm just curious....

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I would definitely call the refuge headquarters and not ADF&G.
    The refuge is managed differently than the state lands.
    I believe the refuge wants a higher bear count then the state does.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    As stated, BOTH state and refuge regs apply. The F&G will give you info about hunting on the refuge....probably more.

And you may well get B.S. wrong information from either or both. Generally the government employee with the most smarts is not the zippy in the telephone or face to face information dispensing department.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    As stated, BOTH state and refuge regs apply. The F&G will give you info about hunting on the refuge....probably more.

No problem! Headed out soon

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bruin View Post
    She was sure though that there were minimal bears reported so far and she believed that they were far from shutting the refuge down.
    That's pretty much what I was thinking....good deal. Thanks! Saw a decent brownie yesterday, not real big but sure looked like a beautiful hide. Unfortunately too late in the day to try and get on it....

Why does it always have to be like this? It should not be complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Why does it always have to be like this? It should not be complicated.
    Well, you know,....when it comes to the feds......