Thread: Recommendations for Fly-Fishing Day Trips from Anchorage (Rainbows, Dollies, etc.)

Default Recommendations for Fly-Fishing Day Trips from Anchorage (Rainbows, Dollies, etc.)

My Dad will be visiting AK next week (October 4th - 11th), and it will be his first visit to Alaska. Was hoping to get some recommendations from the forum on locales where he could hook into rainbows, dollies, etc. Ideally, these would be drive-able, day-trips from the Anchorage area (<2.5 hours each way). He's looking specifically to fly-fish. Thanks for any recommendations.

A bit farther but the lower kenai streams will have steelhead. Anchor, ninilchik, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you looking for a DIY trip, or are you willing to hire a guide? If guided (or if you have your own boat), I'd aim for either the upper or middle Kenai. Should be pretty solid for rainbows and dollies with the chance at silver salmon as well.

Brian - To answer your question, I'm mainly looking for DIY day-trips (leaving from Anchorage). No boat, but willing to hike a bit if needed. Thanks.

upper Kenai walk in from the road follow the well worn trails to the sand bars , the Parks HWY is good but you should have an Idea where you are going
    before you go as I see it . Rusain river could be good but it is getting late. cool weather. fish move down into the main river
    an you could hit it an get some fish check the regs so you don't get caught doing some thing wrong
    Ps if you go to the UPPER KENAI look out for the bears's they are still out , SID

Not sure if you can receive pm's, but I sent one. Respond here if you didn't get it.