Thread: 1999 Conquest problem

Default 1999 Conquest problem

This past weekend I had the conquest out and it initially ran fine (as always). Then it started spiting and sputtering and nearly always died when idling. I replaced the furl filter and that seemed to help for awhile. Today I had the same problem. If I stopped and revved it high for awhile. After this it ran without as much as a hiccup. for 5-6 milesthe machine was like new but changed to poor running asThe machine did this sporadically throughtout the weekend. It has about 500 hours and the gas talk has never been drained. I am suspecting a fuel/water problem but do not know if it a
    fuel pump or carb problem. I sits outside covered through much of the winter so the fuel may have grown incimentally worse. I have not changed plugs but I did change the fuel filter (which helped.-tmporarily. How can you solve the water in the tank issue-I have never drained the talk and use stored gas (that may be old at the cabin as I stockpile gas. Any experience with that before and, if so, how cab this be fixed. How do you fully drain the talk of the argo as there is not a petcock. Any other reasons this might be happening. I have not yet changed the plugs and the fuel filter seems to be functioning adequately. Thanks
    Mike

Default Wow-Sorry for the lousy spelling--it was really late!

Just re-read the post and I must have been falling asleep. Anyway, the basics of the question is correct. I'm just hoping someone can point me in the direction of where to start. Thanks!
    Mike

Default Fuel

How old is the fuel you said it has sat all winter? Drain the tank check fuel filter and pump.Refuel and add some heat to the fuel you may also have some crud in your float bowl

Sounds like the fuel pump to me. We had what sounds exactly like what your describing happen to one of our 99 conquests a couple years back.

If my memory is correct it was the fuel pump. It is very easy to change. Its under the seat.

Good luck I hope its somthing simple.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I was thinking possibly the fuel pump but did yours work great sometimes and spit and sputter for no apparent reason for awhile and then back to normal? Either way I think it is time to clean everything out and put in another filter and replace the pump and give it a go. Problem is, if that is not the problem I would hate to go down 20 miles from the truck. By the way, was the pump avail aftermarket or is it another Argo only thing?
    Mike

Like I said it was a while ago, but if I remember right it was exactly like you describe. No ryme or reason. It would run like crap for a while and then take off like nothing was wrong with it. I think we even played with some choke to get it back to camp. The next morning it started and ran fine all day. After hunting season we replaced the fuel pump and never had any more problems.

I have never heard of any after market pumps, but I doubt that the Argo one is the only fuel pump that would work. You could take it off and try around town to see if anyone had somthing that looks the same.

Although if you use the Argo part the thing will mount right in place and the wires will hook right up and any money you save in buying a different pump would be offset by the time you spend modifying it to work.

Let me know how it works out.

I haven't worked on any argos in almost 20 years. But I wouldn't trust that thing on the trail until I had completly drained and cleaned the fuel tank, took the carb off, disassembled it and cleaned it with spray carb cleaner and compressed air. The fuel pump can be tested and something as simple as a poor groundwire connection can cause it to work intermitantly.
    Clean, check and test the whole system or walk or get pulled home someday

Default Thanks

I hear ya! The plan is to remove the fuel tank and clean it out, remove/replace the 10 ft of fuel line that may be flaking varnish into the line as I hit bumps, etc, thoroughly clean out the carb, check/adjust valve clearance, replace fuel filter, check fuel pump, and replace spark plugs. After all is said and done I am going to give it a good test run and then run out to the cabin with a buddy who also has a Conquest just in case. I have never been stranded with my Argo (or any other piece of equipment I own for that matter) and don't plan to start now. Thanks for the advice.
    Mike

Default Word to Argo Drivers

I found the most likely culprit(s). When I removed the fuel pick-up tube from the tank there was a piece of gunk attached to the end of the tube that nearly obstructed it. I would imagine that any other smaller piece would cause trouble until it passed. Also, there is a vent tube that goes from the gas fill pipe to the very back of the Argo (an exit hole I never really noticed before). In the service manual it discussed serious performance issues if the tube is not clear. Mine was not completely clear and the air flow was very poor. The remainder of the maintenance is still going to be done but those are 2 culprits that should be kept in mind when your machine is making you fret. Also, get the service manual as it is a bible for those things and allows you to do anything when you are out in the boonies and something goes wrong.

Mike

Unhappy Fuel pump

I do not know if this will help far as your problems but I know the fuel pump from Argo is right at $250.I have had a few problems and found it to be fuel line failer.I changed fuel line and put an in -line filter in just before the carberator. That seemed to solve the problem. I am not sure if there was any pump damage but thought I would buy a spare until I saw the price.So I started to look at after market pumps .To find the PSI I borrowed a pressure gauge from work and on my 2000 Conquest it is 3 psi but I have not been able to find out what the GPH is with out pumping and timing. Napa sells 1.5-3 PSI pumps but think they are to much GPH but the price is around $50.If someone knows the GPH that might help a few of us Argo owners.Just my 2.5 cents worth.

Default Fuel line

I know exactly what your problem is.... All 3 of my Conquest's did that within a week of eack other...Change out the entire fuel line including the small one under the seat ,What happened is the fuel hose is flaking from being old , I changed all 3 fuel lines rebuilt the carb around $60 ,Now they all run like new,I also might add if you use "HEAT" use the RED bottle only..The yellow bottle eats the rubber away on the fuel line
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!