Thread: Stolen G3 jet boat

Default Stolen G3 jet boat

Hi All - some loser stole my boat last night from my yard in Anchorage. It's a 16 foot G3 with a 50 hp Yamaha jet on an EZLoader. It's distinctive with the diamond plate floor/side and the installed fuel tank. If any tips please call Troopers or me at 907 229 5479. thanks!

image.jpg

Man I hate theives. Will keep my eyes peeled fur sure bro...
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

I hope you can recover your boat undamaged. And certainly not to rub it in, but one of these or similar...https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpowe...6...encourages thieves to keep looking for a mark with no protection at all. Pretty good insurance for a measly 20 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by AKGrouse View Post
    Hi All - some loser stole my boat last night from my yard in Anchorage. It's a 16 foot G3 with a 50 hp Yamaha jet on an EZLoader. It's distinctive with the diamond plate floor/side and the installed fuel tank. If any tips please call Troopers or me at 907 229 5479. thanks!

image.jpg
    Really sorry to hear this. Do you have the serial number of the motor? May want to call all the pawn shops and give that to them. As well as keep checking Craigslist for new yamies that come available.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    I hope you can recover your boat undamaged. And certainly not to rub it in, but one of these or similar...https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpowe...6...encourages thieves to keep looking for a mark with no protection at all. Pretty good insurance for a measly 20 bucks.
    That was a dead link or I copied it incorrectly. Here's one for a youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u98q7VQQPE Anyway, serious grief/anxiety management for 20 bucks. Good advice from 4merguide...I'd watch CL state wide as well as locally and post up pics everywhere possible with serial number for the yami, hull id number for the boat and license plate number for the trailer.

Thanks everyone. Good tips. Update on the boat - I have it back but sans motor. The boat/trailer were abandoned in Mountain View. I'm sure these losers will be looking to move the motor soon, probably to support a meth habit. It's a 50 hp 2015 Yamaha jet. Here's the serial number: 6C1 L 1061532 . Appreciate the support and staying alert for the motor.

Bummer! I hope we're not going to get like Florida. In addition to the CL search, you can search eBay too using the advanced search feature. Down at the bottom of the list of options is a distance from your zip code so items that match your search that are closest to you come up. Nothing for a 50 hp Yamaha that I saw but you could keep checking. Good luck and hope these bums are caught and prosecuted.

I've a couple of days to consider this and here are some observations. In hindsight I would obviously do things differently. I made it too easy and attractive for these losers to grab a high value item. The boat was parked in my yard right next to the curb. I naively thought the lock on the trailer tongue meant something. It's maybe a 10 second speed bump to any thief with bolt cutters. Boat owners need to reflect on the measures that can be employed to stop these losers - I 'm not sure you can stop a motivated thief but if the job will take too long, the odds go up they will take a pass on your boat. There's a lot on the Internet, but measures you can employ include more sophisticated locks that cover the tongue, wheel locks, taking a wheel off when not in use, heavy chains and heavy locks around the boat trailer, cameras, GPS tracking technology, motion sensor lights. I now appreciate why they took the motor - unlike boats and trailers, motors do not have to be registered. Hence, they have a much higher chance of getting some money for the motor. Even if they sell it for far below market price, there is unfortunately probably a buyer out there who is willing to not ask questions about the motor's past. Key take-away is that motors are a high risk item - hard to protect and hard to track once they're stolen. I say only half kiddingly that we should all customize our motors to make it unattractive for resale - paint it blaze orange!

Really sucks. Locks just keep honest people honest. I have a bass boat at my brothers in SC. Always thought it was a real pita that SC requires outboard motors to be registered separately. Now I appreciate the deterrence it provides. Hope you get your motor back. Just a thought. There is a FB page Stolen In Alaska. Might put the information on there to spread the word.

Do not trust any type of hitch pin lock or the coupler locks. We have folks come into our welding shop all the time to cut them loose. When I show them how to remove them without keys(no torches or cutoff tools required). They take their new lock back to get their money back. These locks are not worth the cost. These literally are only for looks.

Your best bet is a chain thru the tires and around the frame.....SECURE the spare.

Supporting Member

For longer term storage take a tires off and store it separately. Easy to do with a socket on an electric impact driver. Makes it much harder to steal a trailer.

I had some dirtbags steal one of my gas tanks out of my boat. Really pissed me off. Even cut the fuel line. Now I feel lucky. I've been pretty security conscious with multiple locks on the tongue. Now I may just add another lock to a wheel just to make me sleep better at night.

Thanks for sharing, and I hope your motor turns up in good shape.