Thread: Forty Mile Herd Correlation

Default Forty Mile Herd Correlation

Hey all, so i was sitting at mastadon this year staring at the best collection of caribou statues i have ever seen when i got to wondering, Is there any correlation between where they are in the winter VS where they are in the summer. Now first, I have dusted off a few ADFG publications but never happened to find anything that talked about their movements or lack there of regarding different seasons.

So here's my question, is there any relation to the idea that if the caribou stay in ZONE 2 for the fall hunt that they will move for fresh browse with a passion and into ZONE 1 or 3. Its like when i know i should be somewhere but cant remmeber. Then it hits me JESUS i need to get moving. Are they going to be pushing into new area or is there no dots to connect and they just willy nilly do whatever. heck they just might all move back into Canada for all i know. I have read a few times that they are a very unpredictable herd. I was just wondering if i can expect them to be thick in ZONE 1 since they haven't made it they in bulk yet.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmagers View Post
    I have read a few times that they are a very unpredictable herd. I was just wondering if i can expect them to be thick in ZONE 1 since they haven't made it they in bulk yet.
    If you read caribou are unpredictable why would you think anybody would know what they are going to do?

I don't want to jump to any conclusions but it really sounds like your being pathetic and once again repling to someones questions with sarcasm like alot of people do on here. Brian, Stid, and Micheal i have a great idea for a new website. Just antagonize, badger, politically correct people, and accuse people of breaking laws. It would be so annoying and people would hate it. I think it would be awesome. Wait.... people have already slowly started to take your amazing online community here and turn it into that. I wasnt asking for your honey hole or anything along those lines. Cant stand it.

I was not attacking the moderators or webmaster at all. Just ranting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmagers View Post
    [FONT=Times]I don't want to jump to any conclusions but it really sounds like your being pathetic and once again repling to someones questions with sarcasm like alot of people do on here. FONT]
    Your right sorry. but knowing that caribou are unpredictable anything we say as to what they will do has no merit.

Figuring out caribou is like understanding women...you guess every time even though you say you won't and sometimes you get it right and are all proud of yourself then the other 95 percent of the time you look like an idiot.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Fish and Game tracks Caribou herds from the air like the Nelchina herd and Fortymile herd. There are some figures towards the end of this that give an idea of the area these caribou are ranging.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ho...ribou_herd.pdf

This is from 2012 so it's a little dated but there is valuable information in this, especially the figures towards the bottom if you can figure it out, there's a lot of science going on in it but information is good anyways. The figures mostly concern radiocollared females but it's better than no info at all.

You can't pinpoint where they will be based on feed and weather conditions but you can figure out a general area of where they go from season to season, you can't pinpoint exactly when they will start migrating or this or that but you can get a general idea with caribou that may or may not be right from season to season.

Figuring out caribou? Whaaat??

I think that they eat fermented veg and are hallucinating most of the time.

^^^ YA, what he said!^^^^
    That, and most of them are devoted to the "herd mentality" where they instinctively do the same thing as those around them. Maybe it's the lead animals that get the strongest intoxicating tundra tea, and the rest follow like drones on anti-depressants!
    All kidding aside, several different partners and I -on different trips, chased the Nelchina herd and always ended up hearing "you should've seen em here 2 weeks ago". Dozens of miles on foot, about twice that many on 'wheelers, boat rides up the lakes from the south into the Tyone, and a weekend on the Denali speedway with Momma driving.
    My conclusion, the only sure-fire plan to find 'em, go for an airplane ride before your hunt, or just keep going till you cross paths!

Just google 40 mile herd and lots of info comes up. There's been years when they decided to go over and stay in Canada, another year a BIG bunch broke off and headed north to join another herd. Another year 3 days before season they were all along the Taylor and for some reason they decided the steese was were they needed to be and all started that way and made it there in short order. As a kid I got harassed a lot more than anything I've read on hear asking the same question of " where do you think the caribou will go/be here when season starts?" To some old timers. I've since came to the conclusion I'm not after the "herd" when I go out but one animal and just knowing where to look and putting the time in behind a pair of binos has paid off more times than I can remember. There are resident caribou that live in each Zone and I'm sure with a little hunting around you'll be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    ....As a kid I got harassed a lot more than anything I've read on hear asking the same question of " where do you think the caribou will go/be here when season starts?" To some old timers. I've since came to the conclusion I'm not after the "herd" when I go out but one animal.....
    This. All it takes is one, and those critters are spread out all over. They go where the wind takes them......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

haha i think i have better odds with the caribou then the females of our own species. Im aware of some of the publications out there. I read a couple. ACG, i read the one you linked me too. I have never read that one, just the current management plan. I am trying to absorb as much info as possible but i hold more faith in ol' timers knowledge then ADFG. Different motives. meat in the freezer VS money,management,multiple group interests. All this is welcoming. Macgyver, even though we know what we say has no merit, we still tell tall tales of fish thiiiis big. We also talk about where the caribou were two weeks ago and put value in it and when we are successful we somehow relate our success to the info we received from a cold source. If w are not successful we blame it on the herd being unpredictable. Either way the more we talk about the more we can share and all learn. I just wish i had more to offer then some 2nd grade philosophy. At the end of the day what we need the most as we read tall tales of tree climbing yotes', the only thing we really need is a BS detecter.

Heck back in the 80's n 90's guys have told me they used to come thru Eielson and the outskirts of Fairbanks. Seen a picture of some near the Eielson runway!