Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bricks of .22LR at Cabela's, no limit

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, and now Appleseeds!

Default Bricks of .22LR at Cabela's, no limit

That's the good news.

The not so good news. They cost $55 to $85 a brick.

It was interesting listening to the folks that were buying them trying to justify why they were willing to pay so much.

Quote Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
    That's the good news.

It was interesting listening to the folks that were buying them trying to justify why they were willing to pay so much.

I have always sold firewood and the funds have always gone towards my hunting shooting stuff. I am not a kid anymore so decided to sell the wood splitter last year and be done selling wood. I can split the 7-10 loads that I heat my house with by hand. I have forever kept an eye on rimfire ammo on gunbroker. My grandkids, nieces and nephews and all their friends love to shoot. My 10 bricks that I bought before all of this started are gone. $19.99 is what they cost back then. Out of the blue two of my old wood buying customers called and wanted me to supply them with wood for the winter. 5 loads each at $75/load. I ordered 10 bricks of Aguila standard velocity, 40 grain 22 ammo for $45.00 a brick.........In the end it doesn't matter what they cost or what sacrifices I have to make to keep my kid following shooting. We often have a weenie roast and sit around a camp fire out at my little private range. I get to tell them about why 1776 was a very important year and why we have to hold true to our Constitution as it is written. Ha, Hogfamily it just dawned on me that with you being all wrapped up in the Appleseed program and with what I just wrote it's kinda like the choir preaching to the preacher. Good on ya for that!

You two have it nailed. Get those younguns educated and involved.

I'm seeing the flip side in the world of traditional muzzleloading. We're a bunch of old geezers sitting around and spitting into a dying campfire, with hardly a youngster among us. We're dying like flies and there's no one coming up behind us simply because so few are trying to recruit. Seems downright stupid to me, but I'm in a very small minority.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Dang up here wood is 150.-- to 200.00 a cord depending how cold it is
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

That's the good news.

$34.99 a brick at SW yesterday, Rem. brand. Only one left.

That's high enough. If I wanna be gouged, I'll buy gas. I gotta have that.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Well I will never EVER pay more than $8.99 per Brick.......Never Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    You two have it nailed. Get those younguns educated and involved.

I'm seeing the flip side in the world of traditional muzzleloading. We're a bunch of old geezers sitting around and spitting into a dying campfire, with hardly a youngster among us. We're dying like flies and there's no one coming up behind us simply because so few are trying to recruit. Seems downright stupid to me, but I'm in a very small minority.
    I grew up in Pennsylvania and one of the things I'm most thankful for in that state was that they had a flintlock-only late season deer hunt. I likely never would have picked up a smokepole if that season wasn't there, but now that I have seen the flash in front of my eyes and smelled the burnt powder on a late winter hunt, I'll never go without it.

Admittedly I don't shoot them as much as I want, living in Anchorage, but I made it a point to bring my TC .54 Renegade up with me in hopes of killing a deer, bear, or moose with it. I'm only 27, so I've got some time to get it done still.

BB, if you're ever in Anchorage, I'd love to go shooting with you and hear some of your tales.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Well I will never EVER pay more than $8.99 per Brick.......Never Ever.
    Not, til you run out of those you paid $20.00 a brick for.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, and now Appleseeds!

Brown Bear,

I have been doing firelock demos with my muskets and rifles at Appleseed clinics. That has inspired several to get into muzzleloaders.

Any other venues that you can think of the we can do firelock demos?

Yesterday, I gave $40 for a brick of Aguila, their "high speed" stuff. That's about the same price that I sold a bunch of it off at the Cheyenne Rifle and Pistol Club's annual gun show about three years back, when there was NONE to be had. Other guys inside the show had brought their stashes out of the cobwebs, and were scalping the stuff for up to $15.00 a box of 50 rounds, and selling the stuff! I justified selling off three cases of it then, because the CMP said they were waiting on a boatload of the stuff..... I'm afraid that the prices we're seeing now are going to be the "new norm" for a bit, or perhaps we'll even see it go up. I've got enough on hand finally to take care of my own needs for the rest of my days, BUT, when them 28 grandkids, and their parents all show up, and they start setting up targets, my stash is in serious trouble!

There is still no 22 ammo on any of the shelves in this area! Walmart, Thiesens, Hardware stores, I haven't been to Brownells for over a month but I am not paying $60 for Thunderbolts.

I bought a brick of the Aguila Super Colobri or whatever it's called for backyard pests and at least in my 22 rifles they shoot smaller groups than CBs. In a 24 inch barrel 22 you can't even hear them from 100 ft. They kill squirrels and rabbits stone cold dead. For that reason I went with the standard velocity 40 grainers at 1180ftps. Thinking that when Ty Young gets my silencer done and all legalized I will buy a Ruger American with the thread the end for the silencer. Iowa is getting so settled that the only time you can fire a gun without someone hearing it is in the dead of winter when everyone is indoors but us crazy hunters.

Makes me proud. I checked my log and I've fired exactly 12 rounds of 22 rimfire in the last couple of years. Just too much hoarding, scalping and general madness for me to play the game.

Meanwhile I've shot 15 pounds of lead through my 30 caliber flintlock in the same couple of years.

They're .290" balls weighing 38 grains, 185 per pound, or 2775 balls in two years. I make my own flints and balls, so the only cost is powder at $23/pound marked on the cans. I'm getting 700 shots per pounds with my 10 grain loads, so right at 4 pounds or $92 for the equivalent of 5 1/2 bricks of 22 at $16/brick.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_JR View Post
    I grew up in Pennsylvania and one of the things I'm most thankful for in that state was that they had a flintlock-only late season deer hunt. I likely never would have picked up a smokepole if that season wasn't there, but now that I have seen the flash in front of my eyes and smelled the burnt powder on a late winter hunt, I'll never go without it.

Admittedly I don't shoot them as much as I want, living in Anchorage, but I made it a point to bring my TC .54 Renegade up with me in hopes of killing a deer, bear, or moose with it. I'm only 27, so I've got some time to get it done still.

BB, if you're ever in Anchorage, I'd love to go shooting with you and hear some of your tales.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I'd like to see a flintlock only hunt in AK too. Of course I have my selfish reasons for that as that would justify me getting a flintlock along with the caplock Great Plains rifle I was allowed to get for our existing muzzleloader hunt. A few more devoted muzzleloader ranges would be nice, but I've noticed that it's as Brownbear stated as far as the traditional muzzleloading types. In this area they are a small group of mostly older fellows who welcome new folks to the sport but tend not to actively draw attention to themselves.
    Louis Knapp

And that's just it. People that have the money won't be inconvenienced. Sometimes I think too many people have more money than sense these days. And because of this, they seem to speak for the rest of us so the prices go up, and up, and up, and etc... Companies just say "If they'll pay it then we'll keep charging it.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yup. If folks would just quit buying it, watch the price drop. Kinda nice to imagine that happening to all the guys hoarding and scalping it.
    Merle Haggard

I'll repeat myself! I don't give a crap what 22 ammo cost and it ain't about hoarding or bowing to the man or having more money than sense or any of that crap. I have 5 grandkids that love to go shooting with PaPa. I drive a 2000 Durango with 150,000 miles, I very seldom eat out, I heat my house with wood. I prioritize where my money goes. the grandkids 22 shells are high on the list nothing more nothing less.

Down here, 22s are available intermittently. Recently i've seen CCI minimags, 8.99 x 100. Remington bucket of bullets 79.00 x 1400, thunderbolts 29.99 x 500. Aguila 4.99 x 50. Most stores have either no limit or 500 round limit. I pass on federals as all i've tried recently havent been consistent enough to cycle my model 60.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I'll repeat myself! I don't give a crap what 22 ammo cost and it ain't about hoarding or bowing to the man or having more money than sense or any of that crap. I have 5 grandkids that love to go shooting with PaPa. I drive a 2000 Durango with 150,000 miles, I very seldom eat out, I heat my house with wood. I prioritize where my money goes. the grandkids 22 shells are high on the list nothing more nothing less.
    I am only 32, no kids or grand kids yet. For me, it goes the other way. My mom has a single six, and 22 is the only thing she'll shoot. She dont shoot a lot of rounds, but we like to go out and shoot together, and i'd pay any cost for 22's to do that with.

Like, you, I prioritize my funds, and 22 ammo and components are at the top of the list for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I am only 32, no kids or grand kids yet. For me, it goes the other way. My mom has a single six, and 22 is the only thing she'll shoot. She dont shoot a lot of rounds, but we like to go out and shoot together, and i'd pay any cost for 22's to do that with.
    This old lady thinks you're a very good man.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

I agree with 4merguide and BB:

I save a brick so I'll have plenty ammo for hunting if that became necessary.

When I can find more, AT A REASONABLE PRICE I can shoot it. If not, I don't shoot 22 LR.

22 rim fire was not meant to be expensive. It's spose to be cheap and abundant. If it's not, it doesn't fit it's purpose.

One might expect double/triple prices from scalpers, but not from Retail stores.

I haven't needed Cabelas for years, and after hearing this, I don't plan on needing them in the future. Let the chumps pay for their taxidermy scenes.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast