Thread: 7MM Question

Default 7MM Question

I have a Browning A Bolt and would like to put a syn. stock on it for a float hunt. I will be hunting moose and brown bear. Would just like to know if it would be worth putting a syn. stock on it or just upgrade to a .338 Win Mag? If it is a go with the new stock, where would be a good place to look for one? Thanks for all the help!!

Default Sounds like...

Sounds like a great justification for getting a new firearm. My 7mm RM is my typical go-to gun for Alaskan adventures, but I have yet to chase after brown bears with it. To be honest I am not sure I would; interior grizz/Toklat maybe, but not a coastal brownie. Since weight isn't as much of an issue on a float hunt, you could easily justify getting a more substantial caliber in a moderately-weighted rifle so you will be comfortable shooting it. Don't go bigger if you don't have the time to practice and get comfortable with the new firearm, though.

If you are floating with another person who has a more bear-worthy rifle, the 7mm would be a great moose slayer. But from that perspective, you lose the justification for a new rifle...

If you are just looking for a stock,check E-Bay,they are on there all the time.Just make sure you get one that is "long action" for your 7 Mag.

Tim

I don't know where you plan to hunt, I do doubt that the bear or moose will care what kind of stock you have on your rifle to kill them with.

If you're confident in your 7, use appropriate bullets, and shoot it well, it'll kill anything in Alaska. There are many reports of 7mags not being enough, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that is related to bullet failure and or poor shot placement.

Then again, any reason to get a new gun, is a good reason Just make sure you put the time in to master the 338, it is definately a step up in recoil over the 7mm.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I ain't never done it, but I think that a 7 Mag is enough gun too. Even for a Brown Bear. Just use a Nosler Partition, 160 or 175 grain.

Those factory synthetic stocks I've seen, that come on the Browning A-bolts are so small and narrow at the butt, they'd probably cut my shoulder in two, or make it feel like it did.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.