Thread: Thoughts?

Default Thoughts?

I have a Ruger 44 MAG Carbine semi auto and was wondering if it is a good enough rifle to hunt brown bears over bait?

Any guns enough to kill. Any guns enough to wound and loose. 44mag is wayyy on the small end.instead of going to the small end I'd go to the high end. Even small bears can take a good hit and make it a hundred yards. Much better off getting as big a hole in them as possible. You may only get one chance.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I can't tell you how many people that shoot big magnums and feel that after seeing a particular bear, felt they were under gunned. Imo....whenever a person decides to go kill a brownie, he should plan on the possibility of seeing one of the biggest, badest critters on the planet. When it comes to that animal there ain't no such thing as too dead. Will your carbine kill it? Probably. Will it kill it cleanly and efficiently right then and there? Hmmmm....hard to say. Ask yourself, do you owe it to any beautiful animal to end it's life in the best way possible, or take the chance that it may go a lot less perfect than you would like?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I shot a 6 ft brownie with my 30-06 along the Denali last spring. BRWNBR saw it when I brought it back to the lodge. I guess my thought process is that if I have to go into the thickets after one I want something that is a hell of a lot more maneuverable through the thick swamps. I just thought my Browning X-bolt 300 WM or my Win Mod 70 30-06 are just not as maneuverable in that type of terrain. Call me a crazy vet. I was even considering the possibility of building either a MSR with a 458 SOCOM or 50AE. I am more comfortable walking through thick crap with an AR type rifle. I know shot placement is always the key but I have shot many BG animals to include one grizz and it is never a guarantee that the animal will drop. I am looking for insurance. I always carry a SPGFLD 45 XD with me with a mix of HP and FMJ ammo. Another possibility might be a 45-70.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A 45-70 is a large step up from a 44mag. Try to find a compromise of power and comfort. I have a 416rem that is light and built to fit my hands. I can hold it in firing position with one hand and move alders with the other. It's short. It's powerfull. It will penetrate from any angle. When you consider brush and thickets and following up a bear, also
    Consider why type of shots you will be taking in those conditions...
    Chances are it won't be a calculated shot but rather a blow more holes in fur situation. Often times you may find the bear but be unsure what part of the bear your looking at or which direction it is facing. Big holes....big holes. Or it may try to leave and you have a hind quarter shot...will a pistol round penetrate far enough? Or just get the bear moving again?....big holes deep holes. When following up a bear you enter a different type of bear hunting. Attempting to kill thru massive damage. Unlike a intentional well placed bullet on a unsuspecting bear. A wounded bear is no longer unsuspecting. Game has changed. No time to be going in with less gun when the games into sudden death.
    Master guide 212

Jake,

Thanks for the advice. You da man!!!

What do you think of the 338 WM. I was considering a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan a while back.

Great round actually
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Nasifg View Post
    Jake,

Thanks for the advice. You da man!!!

What do you think of the 338 WM. I was considering a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan a while back.
    Arguably the best (most popular) Alaskan round....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Arguably the best (most popular) Alaskan round....
    I don't own one but definitely agree with it probably being the most popular round in AK. And for good reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sold! The 338WM it is. Thanks all!

Sold! The 338WM it is. Thanks all!

You may want to read up if you haven't already.... http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...caliber/page25

I used to solely hunt with my tikka T3 30.06 until this season.. why you might ask? Well over the years I have dropped many bears (black and brown) never had to chase one down for more than 50-75 yards. This year changed that statistic completely. Day started out when a buddy and I went to spend the weekend hunting at the station. I was first up to shoot and bagged a nice blond sow at roughly 15 yards walking in to my first station. 5 hours later we made a play on my second station a mile away and we ended up 35 yards (on the ground) from one of the biggest brownies I have seen on camera/in person. We watched the bear for close to an hour with excellent winds in our favor. Then the winds shifted and the bear was on us. Justin took a full frontal shot with a quick follow up shot right behind the shoulder. The bear still went nearly 200 yards into the thick stuff. 2 more rounds later (another behind the shoulder and finally one behind the ear) and the bear was down. This was shooting 180gn hand loads. I decided it may be wise to "walk softly and carry a big stick" and ended up picking up a Montana Firearms 338WM. Since then I have no complaints about knock down efficiency.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

I carried a 338 winny for years as my guide gun. Walked into the brush after a bear on kodiak, could smell him but not see him. I got a bigger gun. I've now carried a 416 of some sort for well over a decade. Still sometimes I watch a bear get a tunnel excavated thru his chest and watch them keep on motoring like nothing happened. Bears aren't good at numbers. But they do understand broken bones.
    Master guide 212

Amen to that brown... amen to that! rep sent lol

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Call me a crazy vet. I was even considering the possibility of building either a MSR with a 458 SOCOM or 50AE. I am more comfortable walking through thick crap with an AR type rifle.
    If you're going to think about using a MSR go for the AR-10 version, and hunting in AK with it, 338 Fed or 358 Win.

You can also get one in 450 Marlin, its about 2/3 the way down on this site http://www.ar-10-rifles.com/index.php and at the bottom of that page is a 325 WSM upper.

NEMO makes them in the 300 and 338 WM (larger frame than the AR-10 model) as well but they are long rifles. https://nemoarms.com/rifles/
    Josh
    In Egypt on the Sinai peninsula helping to take care of the ISIS problem.