Thread: "whitefish" out of Whittier

Default "whitefish" out of Whittier

My group is taking a boat out of whittier next week. We would like to catch ling cod,pacific cod, rockfish, perhaps halibut, and have no interest in salmon. We are hoping to travel no further than Main Bay.

Any advice to the rookies on where to catch cod or other white meat fish ? We eat almost anything that is fresh, and are tired of salmon and still have halibut from last year. tx

I have caught skates in Deep Water Bay. Most people throw these back as "trash fish", not realizing that this is what imitation scallops are made of. Sauteed in butter and garlic, skate wings are hard to beat!

Default Go Deep

If you can get within 100 feet of the shore and it's 600 foot deep you've found a place to fish. But most deep water fish you catch will not survive if you release them, yellow eye specialy. They grow slow so a big one is an old fish. Watch the reg's careful and print out the photo page so you know which one's you caught, since most are only 2 a day of pelagic and 2 a day of non-pelagic.

Kelp beds you will find sea bass and other whitefish..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Yelloweye...

We hit a bunch of yelloweye one night on the south side of I think Craft Island, just outside of Eshamy Bay, which is about 3-5 miles south of Main Bay. Be careful driving through there cause there lots of under water rocks that you wont see.

AH

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hunter View Post
    Be careful driving through there cause there lots of under water rocks that you wont see. AH
    I will second that. Three sets of rocks going across the bay.. ALso a nice big one in the near the middle between Knight and Latoce
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Brian, What part of the skate wing did you make? I thought they were soft and fishy from a 100 lb. skate we caught years back... I always heard that they were good, but only if they come from a different species down south.

Shipbum, look for sharp points and use your fish finder! Rocky points are sure bets for rockfish, lings etc. Kelp is great for greenling, rockfish, and lings... Try deep channels between islands and narrow bays for cod, DEEP!
    Ester Island is a start.

Entance to main bay isn't a bad place, Culross passage, north and south, pigot bay to name just a few.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/