Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Deer Reports From Kodiak

Default Any Deer Reports From Kodiak

Wondering if the theory of 3 mild winters in a row has increased the population as much as expected?
    Last edited by stid2677; 09-29-2016 at 23:04.

I spoke to the Bio before I booked my hunt for mid October and he said "the deer population is pretty healthy right now". I will have a report by the 24th ish...

I haven't been out hunting yet but lots of deer around this year. Good numbers of 4 1/2yr old around. One morning I counted 68 deer on the mountainside across from where I camped in the alpine, and I was on the road system.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

An hour boat ride cruising the beach and we saw 10 deer and 4 fox.... I watch the mountainside from work and see deer often. If we get 2 more mild winters, there will be some BRUISERS running around the hills. Next week freezers will be full...

In summary: Yes, it has improved.

2013, any deer, it took 7 days to get two bucks and a doe. 2014, any deer, it took 7 days to get two bucks and a doe. 2015, any deer, it took 5 days to get three bucks. This year, buck only, it took 3 days to get three bucks. Seems like there are more and they are bigger. Depends on what you are looking for, I've passed on a lot of little deer to make sure my freezer is full.

Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan54 View Post
    2013, any deer, it took 7 days to get two bucks and a doe. 2014, any deer, it took 7 days to get two bucks and a doe. 2015, any deer, it took 5 days to get three bucks. This year, buck only, it took 3 days to get three bucks. Seems like there are more and they are bigger. Depends on what you are looking for, I've passed on a lot of little deer to make sure my freezer is full.
    That makes it sound better for sure. Going in on the last 2 weeks of Oct. hoping to fill my freezer with some fresh venison. Never shot a decent buck and would love to lay my hands some amber horned 4x and some good sized back strap for the grill.

Default Any Deer Reports From Kodiak

I've seen progressively better numbers over the last 3 years. From what I've been hearing from pilots, hunter's, etc. they're seeing much better numbers this year than even the past year or two. I'll be headed down in a couple days with my main focus being goats but I also plan to try and take my limit of deer. Hopefully I'll have something good to report back in a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I've seen progressively better numbers over the last 3 years. From what I've been hearing from pilots, hunter's, etc. they're seeing much better numbers this year than even the past year or two. I'll be headed down in a couple days with my main focus being goats but I also plan to try and take my limit of deer. Hopefully I'll have something good to report back in a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Goats are my main focus too, but just as excited about the deer. I pull out of Fbks on the 14, if your back before then, would love to hear how you did and what you saw. Good luck, shoot straight and stay safe!

Bump up top for more updates hopefully!

We got back last week, saw lots of deer at the beginning of the trip. Shot one nice buck on day 2, then spiked up and goat hunted. When we came down several days later couldn't find a deer for a few days. However, a Sow and three Cubs showed up. My take is there is good deer numbers on Kodiak, and I can't wait to go back in the future. One of the funniest hunts to date for me!

Saw some decent deer on Friday afternoon/Sat morning on my suicide goat hunt. Truck to truck 24hrs, 15 miles round trip. Lots of does running around with 2 lil ones yet, if this winter is like last years, deer are gonna eat everything in sight before long
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by ryansven View Post
    We got back last week, saw lots of deer at the beginning of the trip. Shot one nice buck on day 2, then spiked up and goat hunted. When we came down several days later couldn't find a deer for a few days. However, a Sow and three Cubs showed up. My take is there is good deer numbers on Kodiak, and I can't wait to go back in the future. One of the funniest hunts to date for me!
    Funniest or fun hunts? If it was the funniest then let's hear what was so funny about it?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Sorry, love these phones! Fun hunts!!

Got back last night from the south end. The veg. is all still really high and the alders have not lost all the leaves. LOTS of bears... LOTS. Trooper said there has been 9 non-res. DLP kills this year. With no pinks, the bears are hungry and grumpy. Got charged on day one, spooked a sow w/ three cubs, saw a buffalo sized boar on the top of a mtn where we passed on a nice buck and doe combo. Took some nice deer, but they are hard to find in the taller than usual brush. If you want bucks, you will need to look above 2k feet.

Quote Originally Posted by xcrnr View Post
    Got back last night from the south end. The veg. is all still really high and the alders have not lost all the leaves. LOTS of bears... LOTS. Trooper said there has been 9 non-res. DLP kills this year. With no pinks, the bears are hungry and grumpy. Got charged on day one, spooked a sow w/ three cubs, saw a buffalo sized boar on the top of a mtn where we passed on a nice buck and doe combo. Took some nice deer, but they are hard to find in the taller than usual brush. If you want bucks, you will need to look above 2k feet.
    Thanks for the update. Any pictures? Can not wait, leaving on Friday.

I returned about a week and a half ago from an alpine lake hunt on Kodiak. We were at 1400 ft. near Uyak Bay. We were mainly looking for mt. goats. We saw 15 bears on the first 4 days of the hunt. 8 of the bears were within 1/2 mile or less of our camp. The bears are on top of the mountains already. Goats, on our ridge, were non-existent. Every day, we could watch the bears chasing the goats around on the ridge across from us. Really a strange year. We had a great trip anyway but got out of there before the bears decided to start sleeping with us in the tent.

Most bears fish at night and will go up during the days...down south east they collared some and found a 10 mile round trip each day was fairly normal
    From fish to berries.less salmon might mean more time in the alpine as well.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Here's a pic... maybe

We'll see if this works
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Springer View Post
    Thanks for the update. Any pictures? Can not wait, leaving on Friday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Most bears fish at night and will go up during the days...down south east they collared some and found a 10 mile round trip each day was fairly normal
    From fish to berries.less salmon might mean more time in the alpine as well.
    If you mean southeast Alaska, they have not collared brownies in a LONG time here. Last study was about 8 years ago, for the Juneau road corridor, running through Berners Bay, up to Skagway. Those bears live in a fairly isolated area. (I trap and hunt it, extensively). They may well travel 10 miles, but that is nearly the entire range of the bay. Trust me, they can, and will, go MUCH further! The bears, wolves, and wolverines do not stay in that area if the need requires dispersal.

I was thinking the biologist told me it was admirlity island they did the study? Gps collars tracked the bears. It was quite a while ago if i recall right. Back when I was writing. So about four kids ago...lol no doubt they travel farther, they were mostly trying to figure out what fishing bears do, they found they fished at night and traveled the rest of the day grazing. Putting on 10 miles a day was normal. They had previously speculated they just walked into the brush and bedded down.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast