Thread: My new bird dog pup has given this old guy a new lease on life!

Default My new bird dog pup has given this old guy a new lease on life!

At the age of 18 I got my first German Shorthair Pointer pup and for the next 35 years I had at least one and for a 20 year period I whelped and sold pups and spent my weekends at trials and hunting. Then a career of 30 years of strapping hooks on my legs and climbing up and down power poles took it's toll. My knees were shot and walking any distance became impossible. I realized this was coming several years before walking became impossible. I gave my best pup to a young man who lived to hunt but had never owned a bird dog. He came out to my kennels often just to hang around and be close to the dogs. I had to give that young man pick of the litter because they deserved each other. She was going to be special and he was going to make the most of her. Little did I know where that was going to go. 6RUpland Kennels has become known nation wide. Chris has guided and hunted with lots of notables and the story he loves to tell the most is how he was hunting pheasants with Tom Knapp in S Dakota when his dog Duece locked on point and Chris flushed the bird only for Tom Knapp to miss the bird. A rarity for sure!

Eight years ago I went through two knee replacement surgeries and the recovery was slow. There were complications and infection problems that made me wonder if it would ever turn around. Then 2 years ago my son invited me to go to North Dakota to hunt pheasants with him. We went , killed lots of birds but hunted without dogs......it was not the same.

This spring my son bought a Drahthaar pup and he called me daily to tell me how training was going and to ask for advice. I drove the two hours to his house one Saturday just to see the dog work and help where I could. My son took notice of the big grin on my face as I watched that pup shine. He mentioned that since I now have my legs back I need a dog to work.

My son showed up at my house in the middle of the week 3 weeks ago and said come on dad let's go for a ride. He had been talking about buying a new truck so I figured we were going truck shopping. I was still not getting the drift when he turned down the road that went past 6RUpland Kennels but when he turned in the drive I perked up. Chris was out training dogs so I felt a little awkward about looking at his dogs with him not there. My son said it's OK dad , Chris would never care if you were showing interest in his dogs. So we walked back to the puppy kennel. There in the front pen was a litter of 8 beautiful Moesgaard pups. They were 7 weeks old and had just been weaned. My son said how do you know that they are Moesgaard pups? I said because I whelped over 20 litters of them. They are white with liver markings, they are short coupled, they hold their heads high and they stand on their feet correctly. He just laughed and said OOOOOOKAYYYY. Then he asked, "Which one would be the pick of the litter?" I said,"Boy I don't know, I would have to study them for more than 10 minutes to figure that out and then I would change may mind three or four times". Then I said, "Really, there isn't a bad one in the bunch." We went home to my house, ate a pizza and then he left on the 2 hour trip home.

I laid in bed that night thinking about those pups. The next morning my son called and said, "Well?" "Well what?" Says I. "Which pup are ya getting? He replied" I said, "Boy are you nuts? Mom wouldn't want me to get another pup". That evening I loaded the little lady up in the Dango and we went to 6R Upland Kennel. Chris was there with another gentleman and they were looking at the golden litter. Chris stuck his hand out and shook my hand and introduced the gentleman. I got in on the middle of the conversation but got the jest of their bartering. The pups were $800 and the guy couldn't get one that night because the person that was to get first pick of the litter hadn't picked his yet. Well in my feeble mind that meant that I would have to pay $800 to get the third pick. Chris and the guy talked some more and the gentleman left. Then Chris said to me, "Well, you get first pick." I was kinda dumb founded and can't even remember my response but it had to do with me not spending $800 unless my wife and I discuss it first. We all know thats a lie......we never discuss gun purchases but I wasn't intending to lie, that's what popped out of my head. Chris said, "Are you kidding?" "Your pup is free.....you gave me Rose all those years ago and that is what kicked off my career of raising and training Shorthairs." Then he informed me that this litter was out of my old bloodline. You could have knocked me over with a feather.

Roy has been at my house for a week now. Today I bolted home from work at 2:00 PM and let Roy out of the kennel and we played around in the back yard until dark. He comes on command, points the heck out of a wing and retrieves a dummy most of the time...if a butterfly or something don't screw it up. I'm going to buy some quail this weekend and let him get some feathers in his mouth.

Nothing like puppy breath for getting an old fart off the couch and back on the go!

Wow EKC. Good for you! I can relate. I grew up into adulthood with 2 golden retrievers. I had been without a dog for 30 years, as linework, (yes, a 'traveling' powerlineman, too), and could not wait to get 'retired' so I could get me a good hunting partner. That became a reality last spring and my Munsterlander has been a fantastic addition to my life. I have been told I need a new knee but am holding out for now. Since I got this pup I've lost ten pounds and am compelled to get into the woods on a daily basis with her. I have a brand new lease on life with her.
    I am very happy for you. Enjoy!!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Munsterlander huh? We have a local kid that has a male Munsterlander. The kid that owns him is about 6'7" and a tough dude. He hunts all of the time. His dad's Setter was getting old so he got a Musterlander pup. I will never forget big Calhoun(that's what I call him) walking out of the horse weeds on the Graham farm with his old Setter. He had rooster pheasant feathers sticking out of one side of the back of his hunting vest and that little Munsterlander pup's head poking out the other side of his vest. At the sight I said "You beat all Calhoun." I don't think I have ver seen Calhoun without that dog. Come to think of it the factory where Calhoun worked closed a couple months back and I haven't seen Calhoun since. I call him a kid, he has to be getting into his upper 40's and he never spent a penny on anything. I reckon that him and that Munsterlander are wandering the country looking for upland birds to point. He'll be back in these parts when pheasant season starts.

If your Munsterlander works out for you like Calhoun's did for him(and she will) then you have got lots of smiles to look forward to!

Absolutely wonderful story! Never met you EKC, but I like you already, and I'm happy for you and that pup. Us old guys need to keep on going out. Started a new pup myself this fall and I'm one happy guy.

Best of luck to both of you!

Great story EKC. I've been without a hunting dog for a few years now and am REALLY gettin a hankering for a new one. My dad is coming up in a week and we are headed out chasing birds together for the 1st time in about 8years and the first time without a dog in at least 20yrs. It will still be fun but it's just not gonna be the same....

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Then 2 years ago my son invited me to go to North Dakota to hunt pheasants with him. We went , killed lots of birds but hunted without dogs......it was not the same.
    After a guy has hunted over a good dog, bird hunting takes on a whole new meaning. There really is no going back because "bird hunting" won't ever really be "bird hunting" ever again for you if you don't have a dog. It's really no different than if you were to go deer hunting without your childhood friend that you grew up with in the woods. Just can't be the same.

The first duck season that I was in the blind after having to put my beloved chessie down, the barrage of scattergun fire left all but one goose dead on the ground before us, and that one soared hundreds of yards away before it hit the deck. As I ran after that bird, slipping and sliding in that mud, I looked up in the sky and said "Cheska I miss ya baby." That dog was one in a million and literally did put meat on the table that I wouldn't have had without her.

There is absolutely nothing like a good bird dog. I hope your new adventure with that canine friend will be everything you could ever dream of as you head into another new, and exciting, stage of your hunting career. Give Roy an extra pet behind the ear for me...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

An local guy that hangs around the gun shop some called me a week ago and asked me to mount a scope on a slug gun for him. I accomplished the job Sunday while watching my Vikes beat up on Cam Newton. Then when the game was over I went to shoot a few guns so zeroed in his slug gun while at the range. He came to pick his gun up last night and handed me $50 which I refused to take. We were standing in my kitchen when he took his newly scoped Mossberg aimed it through the kitchen window and dry fired it. Then he said, "I just killed your puppy!" I talk through gritted teeth when I am contemplating cuffing someone up side the head. I said, "did you just dry fire that thing at my dog?" His come back, "Well, it's empty". I started talking through gritted teeth and he went home and won't be back!

Did I over react? He aimed at my dog, pulled the trigger and when nothing happened he jacked the pump and then dry fired it. Had there been a round in the magazine my dog would be dead and it would have been my fault for handing him a gun with a round in it. I knew there wasn't a round in the mag, I had checked as he pulled in the drive, but he didn't and didn't care. The attitude with how he shrugged the matter off is the same attitude that cause firearms accidents.....and it pissed me off.

I would never ever dry fire a gun without physically looking to make sure that it was empty and then I wouldn't dry fire at someone's pet!

Not just everyone should have a gun. I sure hope he thinks about my reaction and learns from it because if not ....it's just a matter of time......................

happy for you and Roy EKC...sorry for the sad sak who pissed you off.
    I hope you give it your best shot to wear those new knees out with the little canine friend! Good Luck and thanks for sharing

Cardinal rule is to NEVER pull the trigger on anything you do not want to shoot. I'd a whooped him out the door!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    An local guy that hangs around the gun shop some called me a week ago and asked me to mount a scope on a slug gun for him. I accomplished the job Sunday while watching my Vikes beat up on Cam Newton. Then when the game was over I went to shoot a few guns so zeroed in his slug gun while at the range. He came to pick his gun up last night and handed me $50 which I refused to take. We were standing in my kitchen when he took his newly scoped Mossberg aimed it through the kitchen window and dry fired it. Then he said, "I just killed your puppy!" I talk through gritted teeth when I am contemplating cuffing someone up side the head. I said, "did you just dry fire that thing at my dog?" His come back, "Well, it's empty". I started talking through gritted teeth and he went home and won't be back!

Did I over react? He aimed at my dog, pulled the trigger and when nothing happened he jacked the pump and then dry fired it. Had there been a round in the magazine my dog would be dead and it would have been my fault for handing him a gun with a round in it. I knew there wasn't a round in the mag, I had checked as he pulled in the drive, but he didn't and didn't care. The attitude with how he shrugged the matter off is the same attitude that cause firearms accidents.....and it pissed me off.

I would never ever dry fire a gun without physically looking to make sure that it was empty and then I wouldn't dry fire at someone's pet!

Not just everyone should have a gun. I sure hope he thinks about my reaction and learns from it because if not ....it's just a matter of time......................

This election day will be a special day for the rest of this old guys days. Today my 4 month old pup and i went for our usual 2 hour afternoon hunt. The birds were sitting very tight and little Roy had 3 solid points and my 20 gauge put 3 roosters in the bag. We are averaging about one bird every other trip afield so getting my limit of three was above and beyond. I was so proud of this little guy that he got rewarded with half my steak at supper time.

He is curled up at my feet as I type! Life is good!