Thread: 20th. Annual Homer Elks Lodge Winter King Derby 1-2 October 2016

Default 20th. Annual Homer Elks Lodge Winter King Derby 1-2 October 2016

Hey everyone the Homer Elks Lodge 2127 is having there 20 th. annual King Salmon Tournament this weekend October 1-2. Proceeds benefit the Homer Elks Lodge Youth, Veterans & Community Charities Programs.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." Doug Larson

Sweet! We will be there. Had a great time last year!

Here is the brochure I found.

My then 10 year old kid schooling me at last year's derby...
    https://youtu.be/kGZYFwCn9xQ

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Tunnel Vision will be there. Anyone notice that the dates are wrong? Friday is the 30th. Is the Derby Friday and Saturday or Saturday/Sunday. I'm assuming Saturday/Sunday.

Charterboat Operator

Team Huntress will be there🤘 Taking my 10 month old daughter and the family dog.. Dose the dog get to pull a rod🤔...

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Tunnel Vision will be there. Anyone notice that the dates are wrong? Friday is the 30th. Is the Derby Friday and Saturday or Saturday/Sunday. I'm assuming Saturday/Sunday.
    It's Saturday ad Sunday, 1st and 2nd. I think they hold the derby the first weekend of October every year.

I'm referring to the sign up times that are listed as 4 - 10 pm on Oct 1. I'm assuming they mean sign up at the lodge on Friday the 30th from 4. - 10 pm. Either way, we'll be fishing Saturday and Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    I'm referring to the sign up times that are listed as 4 - 10 pm on Oct 1. I'm assuming they mean sign up at the lodge on Friday the 30th from 4. - 10 pm. Either way, we'll be fishing Saturday and Sunday.
    Good catch. I agree though with how you are reading it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Good luck all! Wish I could make it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2005 Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK

Anyone have any stats on on what size fish have won the last couple years and what the payouts were?

Quote Originally Posted by spyguy386 View Post
    Good luck all! Wish I could make it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ditto that! Weather looks fall-ish...

Charterboat Operator

image.jpgBest we could do on the Huntress today...20.5lbs... Caught a **** load of fish but that was the best... Fun day with family , but gonna need to do better then that👍🏻

Seems like a 20# fish would be a solid entry this time of year. What is the leader?

23.30 lbs
    Josh's was a bit over 20, edged out of second by one a bit under 21....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Fun Derby. Tunnel Vision landed 7 fish on Saturday biggest 12.45lbs - fished from 10 am to 5 pm. Today we landed 3, one 16.8 and two 12 lbs, fished from 8:30 am to 12:30 am. 5 of our ten Kings were white kings.

image.jpg image.jpg

Does anyone know if the Elks Lodge is going to put out some statistics like, how many fish caught, how many anglers, how many boats, Winning weight, 1st, 2nd and 3rd, Winner of the average weight? I'm assuming it's going to be on their FB page but I look through for past years and didn't see much, just wondering.

Nice haul. I was looking at heading down in two weeks before I put the boat up for the season. I've fished the early spring before but not the fall. Any differences? 100' out by the bluffs? Any info would be greatly appreciated. The better chance I have at coming home with fish the more likely the wife will let me look at a bigger, safer boat.

Charterboat Operator

Not sure of the outcome, but had a blast none the less, put 26 kings to the net in two days, kept our 12, 6 per day. We had a total of 6 that scaled between 15 to 16 lbs and 1 that scaled just over 20lbs , the rest were between 5 and 8 lbs.. We found success everyware we fished and were able to put 100 lbs of clean finished product into the smoke house and that will do our 3 family's for the winter👍🏻. Fun fishing with everyone and will see you on the water.. F/V Huntress...

The results are posted on the Homer Elks face book page. You need to scroll down a bit to find it. I don't know how to post it. The winning fish weight was 23.3lbs 2nd was 20,95 and 3rd was 20.65lbs Total number of fish caught was 372 for 204 anglers!!! 79 vessels 8 kayaks

We had a great time. I managed 2 sub ten pounders. My son managed a 12 pounder. And my friend Kris who was on her brand new Hobie Outback managed a 17.9, 11, and 9 pounder and took first in the overall women's division AND the kayak Division! Congrats Kris!!!

The video of Kris' 17.9 pounder

https://youtu.be/SZfzANdj81o

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The Elks put on a great tournament. I think the homer chamber could learn a thing or two from them.

Landed 20 kings in 2 days. Pretty great fishing if you ask me!