Thread: I just got a horrible phone call

Default I just got a horrible phone call

Still high and happy from my hunt, I froze and boxed my hides and drove down to cargo (Last Thursday) to have them shipped to Missoula, MT. Spoke with the folks and made it very clear they can not get there on the weekend. They told me, can't get them there until Monday anyway. Perfect I thought. Called a courier, had it all set up to be picked up Tuesday AM. Was assured Missoula has a freezer, all we be good. I get a call this morning from my courier. They called and left him a message on Saturday (he was off and did not get the message until this morning) They got there Friday....they did not have room in the freezer...he still has not been able to get a hold of anyone there.... =( I assume 72 hours unfrozen and they are trashed. I am so heart broken by this.

If your hides are properly fleshed and salted, you're probably okay. If not, you have a problem.

With all the moving parts involved in getting capes, hides, and antlers shipped from Alaska via cargo, I usually recommend using an Alaska-based expeditor to handle it all. Costs a little more, but well worth the peace of mind. There are several outfits that do this both out of Anchorage and Fairbanks. They'll finish up your fleshing for you, and get the hides properly dried. Then they'll box it all up and ship it to your taxidermist, or to the tannery for you.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I assume you salted them before you shipped them??

I have shipped frozen before without problems. That said, I did send of a box of frozen Ptarmigan to a taxidermist in the lower 48 a few years ago. They showed up at the destination on Friday, but no one notified him. Closed Saturday. Monday was a holiday. By the time he got them, most of the package had thawed and wasn't usable. I got one good mount. Lesson learned to not over look the holiday when shipping. I got my shipping back because they weren't delivered when promised, but that was a small consolation. Hope you have better luck with your project.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Nope... They were out of the field 10 hours after they were harvested. Spread out overnight and left to cool and dry a little, Sealed at F&G at 9AM, bagged and into a freezer less then 24 hours after harvest.

Gotta interrupt this thread a tad.

The OP mentions the hides were frozen in initial post and 2 others ask if they were salted. Isn't it EITHER salt OR freeze but never both? I ask this for my and probably others curiosity.

To the op.. sorry to hear about your hides. Hope it turns out well.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Isn't it EITHER salt OR freeze but never both? I ask this for my and probably others curiosity.
    Yes, it should be one or the other but not both. If you freeze a salted hide it can really dry it out badly in a very short time. If you have properly fleshed, salted, and dried the hide there is no reason to freeze it.

To the op.... if they were rolled up and frozen solid when shipped, AND if you had them shipped in a cooler then you might get lucky. But if you only had them in a cardboard fish box or the like, then they could very well have thawed and slipped. Please let us know how it turned out....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yes, it should be one or the other but not both. If you freeze a salted hide it can really dry it out badly in a very short time. If you have properly fleshed, salted, and dried the hide there is no reason to freeze it.

To the op.... if they were rolled up and frozen solid when shipped, AND if you had them shipped in a cooler then you might get lucky. But if you only had them in a cardboard fish box or the like, then they could very well have thawed and slipped. Please let us know how it turned out....
    I agree with 4mer, IF they were frozen SOLID and shipped in a cooler, I think they'll be fine. The outside edges are probably thawed, but cool, and the center might still be partially frozen. I would still want to get them ASAP though, hope it works out for you.

I know this doesn't help now. But maybe someones else can avoid losing skins in the future.
    There is no secret to salting a skin. I would never put a fresh (even frozen) skin in the mail or send it with any other carrier. It's just too great of risk.

All you need to do is put the skin on a slight incline (makes sure the ears and lips are turned) cover with a layer of fine salt for a day or so, scrape off the saturated salt, re-salt for another day or so, then shake off loose salt. You can ship it then, but it's better if you let it air dry for another day or two and then ship. You will also have reduced the weight by at least half, making shipping less costly.

It's not that difficult. I've seen so many trophies ruined when just a little more effort and $4.00 worth of salt would have totally changed the outcome.

Good tip Wags.

I also was concerned about shipping my bear hide from this year. Went with a local taxidermist to avoid that worry.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    I know this doesn't help now. But maybe someones else can avoid losing skins in the future.
    There is no secret to salting a skin.
    No, there's no secret to salting a skin, but you really don't want to salt it unless it fleshed properly, and a lot of people don't really know how to do that. They might think they do until they actually see what a fleshed skin looks like done by a professional. Salting a skin before it's fleshed right makes it extremely hard for the taxidermist....

I've shipped a few hides I've sold frozen, unsalted never fleshed w no issues. I use thick foam boxes and price together when needed n use spray foam to finish insulating the odd spots. UPS is the only way to ship hides. You have to get there before 1pm and they will fly out same day. Monday's is one of the days. It's not every day. I've never paid shipping, buyer had an account. Didn't care what it weighed, just wanted it arriving in good condition and preferably partially thawed so they could start working the hide right away. But I always insulated very well and added frozen foam packs. I've helped buddies also and we have always received our checks and never had an issue. First one I mailed was actually in a fish box w the foam freezer packs n newspaper wads to fill air voids.

Hopefully it all works out, worst case learning curve. Oh, don't use any UPS store, only go to the airport location!!!!!! Hope this will help someone or even you on ur next trophy hide shipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any updates on this

I've been wondering the same thing....

probably still yelling at whoever dropped the ball...
    Josh
    In Egypt on the Sinai peninsula helping to take care of the ISIS problem.