Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I was asked about 22 pistols today!

Default I was asked about 22 pistols today!

The question was which 22 pistol do I recommend that my friend buy? My recommendation was that he couldn't go wrong with a Ruger MKIII Lite if it was going to be a plinking, small game, house gun and possibly used for carry. Which is what he was going to ask of his jack of all trades 22 pistol. He was dead set on a semi auto so no sense in suggesting a revolver.

He had already done his homework on gunbroker and knew the choices. He asked what about a Browning Buckmark, S&W 22a/s, Ruger SR22, any one of the 1911/22s, Sig Mosquito, Neos and a couple of others that I'm probably forgetting about. I told him that my wife of 40 years (on this very day) was wanting a handgun for pretty much the same reasons and she got the Ruger MKIII Lite in the Muddy Girl Pattern and loves it. I told him that I never even considered getting her anything else. Should have I? I have a couple of Ruger 22 Auto's of my own. A MKII target and a 22 MKIII Lite in Green Anodized. Maybe I'm brain washed.......if you guys/gals were only going to have one do it all 22 auto what would you go with?

RUGER Model 10149 (Catalog number: P45GMK3PRRP) http://www.ruger.com/products/2245Th...ets/10149.html

I have a Ruger MKII, stainless, bull barrel. It is one of the most forgiving pistols to shoot. I have a small red dot on it and it is fun to shoot. This pistol also stays in my day pack during hunting season.
    The new Ruger Lite pistols look like they would also be a good choice. I also would not be against some of the S&W 22 semi's but most of the really good ones are out of my price range.

Hard to beat the old Colt Woodsman 4" target model I proudly own. Less bulk than the Ruger (own that too) and at least as accurate. Of course, finding one is only half the issue with Colts that scarce. But you asked for what I go with....
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

MK III lite can't go wrong
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

i have the buck mark which has been real good. a couple of hiccups at the beginning of it's life but i can't remember the last stovepipe I've had or ftf (i shoot the cheapest ammo i can find). I'm very happy with its accuracy. however, i do think the mkIII is superior.
    i think i saw something in the last day or two about a new ruger mkIV (basically a mkIII with a single button take-down) that will be coming out soon; if it isn't out already.

I've owned a Ruger Mk I, II and III and two Buckmarks. If I were to recommend a semiauto pistol it would either be the Buckmark or the S&W Victory. In a revolver, I have a S&W 617-6 which I really enjoy.

I have a Ruger 22/45 Lite and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BOATLESS for now......
    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    MMSI#

I'm not too much into semi-auto's but out of the handful of rimfire types I've shot my favorite was a High Standard.
    Louis Knapp

Quote Originally Posted by sep View Post
    I've owned a Ruger Mk I, II and III and two Buckmarks. If I were to recommend a semiauto pistol it would either be the Buckmark or the S&W Victory. In a revolver, I have a S&W 617-6 which I really enjoy.
    Pretty hard to beat a 617 and that was my first suggestion to him but he wants a semi-auto.

He is one of the thriftiest guys I know with his money and he is very accomplished do-it-yourselfer. He can fix anything and has the tools to do so. When I am looking to buy any tool I get my recommendations from him. Up until know he's owned the same Browning A-5 shotgun and early Ruger 10-22 rifle for at least 30 years. So what ever pistol he buys he will die with.

That's just how he roles. I can't imagine still hunting with my first 22 and my first shotgun. I would be boo-koo bucks ahead but would have lived a boring life.......by my standards and we all have to see it our way.

Kind of on the same line of thinking is my nephew who I love to death. Every gun he owns came from Uncle EKC. I got him a job as plant manager at a soy flour plant. That was 5 short years ago. His boss says he is the best employee that he has ever had work for him. The kid didn't have two nickels to rub together when he took that job. He gets $40,000 per year and in the 5 years he has put $125,000 in the bank. He drives the same 1995 Toyota Corola that he had in high school. He watches only hunting shows and reads only gun rags but he has never bought a gun. He worries about that money in the bank more than I worry about my kids and grandkids. You would think he had gone through the great depression or something.....I love him none the less.....and maybe envy him a little!

The Ruger auto pistols are by far the most durable and reliable.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I have an old Ruger mark II that shoots anything I stuff in it and does so very accurately. If I was going to buy a new auto one of the Ruger variants would be my choice.
    I also own a S&W M22a and don't like it at all. Sights lack precision and it is very finicky about ammo. It does seem to be getting better with age but I have had to force myself self to take it to the range due to repeated failures to extract.

My favorite .22 pistol would be a Ruger single 6 or 10 but I have been priced out of that market. With that said the Heritage Rough Rider 6 shot single action revolver is a hoot to play with. It comes with a LR and Mag cylinder and can be had for under $200 if you catch it on sale.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I have a Tiger mk II that has done well over the years and is very accurate.
    I also have a Walther p22 that shoots well.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    The question was which 22 pistol do I recommend that my friend buy? My recommendation was that he couldn't go wrong with a Ruger MKIII Lite if it was going to be a plinking, small game, house gun and possibly used for carry. Which is what he was going to ask of his jack of all trades 22 pistol. He was dead set on a semi auto so no sense in suggesting a revolver.

He had already done his homework on gunbroker and knew the choices. He asked what about a Browning Buckmark, S&W 22a/s, Ruger SR22, any one of the 1911/22s, Sig Mosquito, Neos and a couple of others that I'm probably forgetting about. I told him that my wife of 40 years (on this very day) was wanting a handgun for pretty much the same reasons and she got the Ruger MKIII Lite in the Muddy Girl Pattern and loves it. I told him that I never even considered getting her anything else. Should have I? I have a couple of Ruger 22 Auto's of my own. A MKII target and a 22 MKIII Lite in Green Anodized. Maybe I'm brain washed.......if you guys/gals were only going to have one do it all 22 auto what would you go with?
    From the pictures I just seen, that lite looks like something a Flying Saucer Pilot would be packin.

My MK III Hunter is,,, well,,, I'm gettin used to it. It's a good gun. I like the features, but it's a complicated mechanism.
    I don't wanna recommend it just because I've got one, but the Mk III seems like a good choice.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post

From the pictures I just seen, that lite looks like something a Flying Saucer Pilot would be packin.

My MK III Hunter is,,, well,,, I'm gettin used to it. It's a good gun. I like the features, but it's a complicated mechanism.
    I don't wanna recommend it just because I've got one, but the Mk III seems like a good choice.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I have a Tiger mk II that has done well over the years and is very accurate.
    I also have a Walther p22 that shoots well.

Ruger Mark ll .
    Darn auto correct.

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Ruger Mark ll .
    Darn auto correct.

I laughed when I read TigerII cuz I knew exactly what happened. I got rid of my Android phone because it didn't care what I typed in it had a mind of it's own. It didn't know a Ruger from a Tiger either! I regressed back to a flip phone.

Smitty I have to agree with you. My MKIII Lite looks kinda like the toy squirt gun that my 3 year old grandson plays with.

I have been looking for a fixed sighted 4 inch barrel MKII. I used to have one that I carried when working bird dogs but sold it in a weak, pathetic, brain turned off moment. Now I have a new Shorthair puppy and he is showing lots of promise so now I need another 4 inch MKII. I always carried that MKII in a right handed holster only on my left hip...so it was backwards. I did that so as not to clunk the butt stock of my shotgun agains it while bird hunting which always happened when it was on my right side. My MKIII Lite shoots real well but it is wearing a Aim Point right now and has killed a dozen squirrels already this season. It missed two easy shots after work yesterday but it is possible that the knot head pulling the trigger could have something to do with the misses. Both of them were about 15 yards away and shoulda been supper....some days ya got it and some days ya don't.

Last night I dreamt that I was at a Jerry Springer audition then I woke up and realized that I was brainstorming about the "Debate".......if that's what it was!

I don't care for 22 semis, but last year, I was very impressed with the accuracy of a Ruger SR22. I took a pile of spruce and sharptail grouse with one. I made one longish shot of about 50 yds on a grouse. One thing I noticed, was that the barrel of that pistol was solidly attached to the frame, which would explain why it was so accurate.

FWIW, These are my Two-[2]- The Hunter is "Very" Accurate, if I do my part that is.

Attachment 90659Attachment 90660
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

I have a buck mark "slab side". it is an accurate pistol, however i think it was a "last barrel on Friday just before quitting time", as the chamber is a bit loose and after about 10 shots its so dirty from "blow by" that the slide will not close on the chamber and fire.
    I need to get a new barrel to put on it and try it again. It does feel really good in the hand, better than the Ruger, but i would suggest the Ruger for a new purchase.
    Josh
    In Egypt on the Sinai peninsula helping to take care of the ISIS problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast