Thread: Where is the advantage......7.62X51 vs. .308 Winchester

Default Where is the advantage......7.62X51 vs. .308 Winchester

Is there any reason to choose a firearm chambered in 7.62X51 over .308 Winchester ??? Under any condition, under any application. Assume NON-Reloaded Ammo is employed.

I believe that the 7.62x51 is the NATO round, close to the 308 Winchester. My self I would go for the 308 chamber. Somewhat like the .223 and 5.56 rounds. I am sure that someone with more knowledge than me will post soon.

No advantage to going that direction. .308 Win is designed to handle higher pressures.

It is the opposite in the smaller round. 5.56 is designed to handle higher pressures than the .223

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Yes that is true. The reason is the 7.62X51 has a wide range and types of armaments that must function in, with differing cooling systems and cycle rates. Where-as the .308 Winchester only needs to function in commercial civilian firearms. The 7.62X51 ammo is safe to use in rifles chambered in .308 Winchester. While there could be some minor problems with using .308 Win. cartridges in a rifle chambered in 7.62X51

Which makes me wonder why companies currently build for the civilian market firearms chambered in 7.62X51 for any reason......???

Quote Originally Posted by FloorGuy View Post
    No advantage to going that direction. .308 Win is designed to handle higher pressures.

There is a huge market in active and former military folks who know "7.62". Ask any GI. Actually not many know it is interchangeable with 308 Winchester for the most part. 7.62 Nato has to function in firearms from many different countries, and is held to a wider range of acceptable tolerances. 308 Winchester is SAAMI spec, and somewhat tighter in the acceptable tolerances. I would buy either gun, regardless of marking or chamber, and just shoot ammo that is reliable and relatively accurate. I've got a fair amount of foreign 7.62 Nato ammo, and it works fine in my 7.62's and 308's. I think most US made, say Federal or Winchester 7.62, commercially sold ammo will work fine across the board. My FAL's, Beretta, and M1A's all cycle with whatever quality ammo I stuff through them. Can't speak to AR-10's, as I've never owned one. Just don't care for the "platform".
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."