Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Solo Sheep Hunt... and a promise to my wife

Default 2016 Solo Sheep Hunt... and a promise to my wife

I Haven't posted much here, in a while, but to those that know me well, I have a passion for sheep hunting. This year I made plans to go solo once again, due to weather and a scheduled class down south I had to do a late season hunt this year. I took two whole weeks off to go into an area I haven't hunted before, and I knew it would take several days to get into seeing some good rams. I did several fly ins with my buddy via supercub to check out some potential areas, we actually practiced and touched several spots to see if it was doable. we finally found a good spot and made plans when I was to be dropped off. But, as you all know, it seems like every solo sheep hunt I'm encountering life and death situations. the first, A sow griz and two cubs, she wasn't showing aggression but was interested in me, as we sort of surprised each other coming up over a ridge, my pack dropped quick as I was ripping my rifle off of it just in case, she started for me and immediately started circling, I chambered and fired a warning shot to the ground in front of her, she immediately got the message and took her cubs and hightailed to higher country. It was late evening and I was tired and looking for a flat spot to camp, I decided to hike another hour to get further away....I tell you, I didn't sleep well that night, if at all. a couple days later I hiked up to were I saw some banana horn rams thinking there might be some bigger ones with them, I hiked all day and thought I carried enough water, depending on my GPS too much and showing me snow patches at higher levels I thought I was okay, well, never trust what the GPS says. So there I was at 6200 feet trying to look down on all drainages to see where the rams went , to my finding there were only a few banana horns, thats it. So I knew I had to drop down on the other side to get water and push further in. I finally found some legal rams on day 6, but they were over a mile away, and I had to cross a river, as you know this year the water was high every where, well I crossed it in my boxers and bare feet, yup....it hurt. I had another blind ridge to go over and yup another surprise, a deep canyon that I could not get down, because the walls were sheer vertical, so I had to pack back up about 1500 feet and go all the way around, so safely get down and around the blind ridge, this took almost all day. I finally got to where I could see the sheep again, but this time I was in a spot where they could see me, I watched them all day and studied them there was a group of 3 and two were legal one was longer but not as old as the other, besides the older one looked to have more mass, I stayed high all day, fog was moving in and out, and about 6:30 that night they decided to feed over the ridge behind them, I figured I had two hours or so of shooting light and I descended about 1500 feet, crossed a creek and ascended about 500 feet or so go at the rams, I flagged my pack and ditched it so I can go after the rams, Grabbed my rifle rangefinder, binos and my down jacket for a rest, They busted me at about 80 yards and they headed up fast, I thought I blew it, but to my luck they cut back and went up on a wall in front of me, I ranged the wall at 418 yards, picked out my ram and sent the 180 grain accubond, I hit him back and on the run, I sent another and it anchored him, then he rolled then fell into a canyon about 500 feet, he was down, tore up a little, but not too bad, no horn breakage. Long story short, I set up camp over him, butchered him out in the morning and started my dreadful long hike out and over two mountains passes and 4 days later, made it back to the air strip. I was 185 going into this hunt, I was 168 when I came home, Puking was a common thing, some nights I was too tired to even eat. It was my toughest hunt EVER!!! but I wouldn't trade for anything, I enjoyed the challenge... Now for the promise to my wife... I told her it was to be my last Solo Sheep hunt......The Ram is 11 years old, full curl, bases were 13 5/8", I had the length at 38" but F&G says 37 4/8" it doesn't matter to me, he's symmetrical, and wide, not my longest horn ram but probably biggest score wise.

Congrats Bro,, love the ram and the Shaka.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Well done, sir! It's good to see you on here again, and especially good to hear the details on that magnificent ram and the adventure that led you to him. Glad everything went well and that you were able to manage all the risk that came your way.

I certainly understand the concerns with regards to solo sheep hunts and the spouse back home. I once said that my goal was to do a solo sheep hunt when I'm 70. Well...we'll see.

Default 2016 Solo Sheep Hunt... and a promise to my wife

Another BIG congratulations! That sounds like a hell of a hunt and a hell of a ram to boot. I commend you brother, way to get it done solo. My solo goat hunt comes up in the next couple weeks, and although I didn't promise my wife that it would be my last, I did swear to her that it would be my first. Congratulations again on your successful hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great write up, awesome pic! I've never done a solo sheep hunt, probably never will honestly. So...... Wanna apply for eklutna 141???!!! Dude, come on! Good genes in there. It's a hell of a hunt. Some monster Rams and if anyone could get one, it's you man!! DO IT!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helluva ram Charles. Looks like he's got it all.

Great job....you really earned that one...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

He's a dandy! Sounds like you earned him too! Good on you for taking the older ram!

Heck of a ram and getting it done solo makes it all the sweeter! Thanks for taking the time to share your adventure!

Congratulations, Great write up. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Now for the promise to my wife... I told her it was to be my last Solo Sheep hunt..
    Hey guy, was looking at your hog of a ram again and it got me to thinkin'....was it your wife that killed a nice ram for herself awhile back? But maybe I'm mistaken?

Nice work, Mr. Heck of a ram and well deserved. Thanks for the story and pics!

Awesome ram Chuck! That is one heck of a hunt.

Great hunt, congratulations!!! I love to hear the stories who get it done the hard way....

What kind of rifle is that? Cal?

Quote Originally Posted by BMhunts View Post
    What kind of rifle is that? Cal?
    It's a Fierce CT Edge, 300 WSM

Congrats. Your tough guy hunt paid off big time.
    Huge congrats👊🐑👊

Nice Work! I got tired just reading it!
    STARRFLIGHT shooting staff
    What's a FOB?...visit http://www.starrflight.com

Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    Nice Work! I got tired just reading it!
    For sure! As I mentioned to him earlier today, a 4 day pack out with all your gear and that hog on your back just had to be a killer....

Putting that new 300wsm to use I see. Good job Chuck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast