Thread: E-Tec 50 for Kenai

Default E-Tec 50 for Kenai

Thinking about buying an Evinrude e-tec 50 for my Kenai boat. Any thoughts out there?

Do you have an authorized E-Tec repair station within easy reach? No one else can work on them.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

I think you would be better taking 6 grand and lighting it on fire.

There is a reason you see so few of them around. Spend some time at a BRP shop and visit with the owners of ETEC before you buy.

I would own any of the four stroke manufactures before I owned another ETEC.

Just my opinion, and it is shared by many and you can pm me for more details if wanted.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    Thinking about buying an Evinrude e-tec 50 for my Kenai boat. Any thoughts out there?

Back in the early Cretaceous, I was an Evinrude/Johnson guy (two Suzuki's in there too, a DT40 and 30, both were exceptional) and still have a beloved Evinrude Junior 1.2HP ca.1978, that goes moose hunting. In 1990, after my new 100HP Commercial blew two powerheads in one year, I moved on to Yamaha and never looked back. As a clue, one seldom sees an e-tech on a commercial fishing boat, which is a telltale FWIW. In my opinion, we (American manufacturers) never put enough effort into the market after the late eighties.

The power band and service intervals on the E-tecs are nice, as is having no motor oil to change. Finicky fuel injectors (which have to be installed by dealer) and problem-prone ECM's (which have to be sent to factory to be swapped out) not so much. After paying the local shop to throw parts at my Etec all summer (he is now closed and it still doesn't run), I really like my new Suzuki. Warranty was 6yrs/private 3yrs/commercial. Quiet and really good on gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post
    I think you would be better taking 6 grand and lighting it on fire.

There is a reason you see so few of them around. Spend some time at a BRP shop and visit with the owners of ETEC before you buy.

I would own any of the four stroke manufactures before I owned another ETEC.

Just my opinion, and it is shared by many and you can pm me for more details if wanted.

Tom
    I know a lot of guys who say the same thing about Mercury motors. I own a Honda right now but I know a guy who's been running Etecs and he likes them.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

You literally couldn't pay me enough money to put an Etec on my boat.

Etecs are sweet when they're running good. Especially if you like 2stroke power. I do. Run good fuel with a good filter and make sure to winterize and you'll probably have great luck. Mine started first crank every time for 7 years before having any problems. Just make sure you find a reputable shop.

I will also add that I've ran multiple Hondas for lots of hours without any problems. One of them spent the better part of a week last summer at the bottom of Cook Inlet and ran flawlessly this summer. Go big red. Or grey. Whatever.

Thanks all, after posting I realized I would get the same response as asking what kind of snowmachine to purchase. I wouldn't be caught dead with a Polaris but the mass majority love them. As of today, I own a 2010 Honda BF50, 2013 Yamaha T50 and now a new 2013 E-tec 50 (5 yr warranty). It should be interesting! I do live in Anchorage so I'm close to the Evinrude dealer. i Will try to post any issues.

Almost no one will work on them. I just sent a boat from Homer to Anchorage to see if the owner can get AMD to work on it.Yamaha or Honda can get worked on most places. Good luck!

Thanks all, after posting I realized I would get the same response as asking what kind of snowmachine to purchase. I wouldn't be caught dead with a Polaris but the mass majority love them. As of today, I own a 2010 Honda BF50, 2013 Yamaha T50 and now a new 2013 E-tec 50 (5 yr warranty). It should be interesting! I do live in Anchorage so I'm close to the Evinrude dealer. i Will try to post any issues.
    Please keep us posted, because I'm looking at the 60 hp motor.