Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mouse guns

Default Mouse guns

nope, not talking about guns for mice, but those real small pocket guns. interested if anyone has experience with some they'd like to share. i have been considering the north american arms .22 mag, but came across the seecamp which looked like a nice, little gun. also, this would be my primary bear defense gun so which round would you use to stop a charging brownie (just kidding).

I have owned a couple NAA mini revolvers in 22 LR. I had problems out of them both. Both of them had broken mainsprings, and had the ball detent fall out of the base pin. The second one locked up on me and I had to send it back to NAA. I had to pay shipping to send it back. They fixed it, and returned it at no additional cost. Now that said. I shot the heck out of them both. I probably shot 500 rounds out of the first one. The mainspring can be changed without disassembling the gun and I was sent several replacements. In all instances of problems, I was sent replacement parts. I felt the overall quality was very high. I disassembled one of them, and it was built well inside, but hard to get back together as the parts are tiny. I figure the problems I encountered was due to me shooting it a fair amount, and that it wasnt meant to be a plinking gun. Changing the mainspring was easy, and fast, and didnt cost anything but an email.

I briefly owned a Ruger LCP 380. While it certainly was easy to have in a pocket, my hand could never get used to shooting the little bugger. I figured it would be worthless to me if I couldn't shoot it very well and sent it down the road. My hat's off to anyone that masters a mouse gun.

I did own a NA arms 22 short revolver for about a year. When I saw it I just had to have it, just too cool. I bought a brick of ammo and maybe shot two boxes through it. It is extremely difficult to shoot those tiny revolvers accurately, and I'm of the school that only accurate or guns that can be shot accurately are interesting.

I do have a Ruger LC9s pro and have no problem shooting it accurately enough for the purpose I bought it.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

My NAA black widow 22mag helped me out of a sow and second year cubs charge at about twenty feet,it was a noise thing.Have a Sig P238 and its as fine a little gun I've ever owned. Bride has a S&W 638 that's a very nice light weight revolver. Accuracy for the NAA is mans nose every shot at seven yards 2" X 3" target. Sig is 2 to 3 inch groups at fifteen yards offhand fairly quick firing and the same for the S&W. Slow rested fire with the Sig I have shot 4" groups at 25yards. Sig now makes a 9mm about the same size as the P238 which may be the better route today with cheaper 9mm ammo. My NAA is always with me even when carrying another gun it rides in a holster hooked to the inside of my suspenders.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    My NAA black widow 22mag helped me out of a sow and second year cubs charge at about twenty feet,it was a noise thing.Have a Sig P238 and its as fine a little gun I've ever owned. Bride has a S&W 638 that's a very nice light weight revolver. Accuracy for the NAA is mans nose every shot at seven yards 2" X 3" target. Sig is 2 to 3 inch groups at fifteen yards offhand fairly quick firing and the same for the S&W. Slow rested fire with the Sig I have shot 4" groups at 25yards. Sig now makes a 9mm about the same size as the P238 which may be the better route today with cheaper 9mm ammo. My NAA is always with me even when carrying another gun it rides in a holster hooked to the inside of my suspenders.
    thanks for the replies. will, i remembered reading your bear story and didn't make the connection that it was the the 22mag that you were using (so maybe there's some merit behind my joke about making it my bear gun, lol). my reason for considering it will be for those times when normally i wouldn't be carrying because of size or burden of a larger gun. well, guess i'll pick one up (the naa 22mag) and put a some rounds downrange and see if the broadside of a barn is big enough for me to hit. once again, i appreciate the feedback.

The BW does have sights so it helps. The sidewinder gives faster reloads but chances are a non issue
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I carry a NAA in .22 mag all the time too. It is very loud and about a .22LR power from an inch and a half barrel and I consider it a contact wound gun but still effective enough to stop an up close attack by most 2 legged threats. I also carry a KelTec .380 which is the original Ruger LCP .380 design. A little more but still not up to my Glock 27 which I carry most of the time.

#2 son just got a Remington model 9 in 9mm and it shoots very well and seems to be reliable so far and will kill any mouse you might encounter.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I've messed around a fair bit with the Seecamp that belonged to a buddy of mine back in the late 80s. Years ago it was kind of a status symbol piece... limited numbers made and smaller than about anything else available. Couldn't shoot anything but Silvertips in it to fit the magazine back then but that may not be the case today.

Neat, but really finicky. Given the choices available in the small auto market, not sure I'd pick one today. I much preferred the larger PPK back then and still do.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Is a Beretta 21A, 22 LR a Mouse Gun?

It sure is a Dandy. Very reliable but probably not a good survival gun at Wabbit, Spruce Hen, and Puh-tarmagin ranges.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Is a Beretta 21A, 22 LR a Mouse Gun?
    Sure looks like one

I've done everything I can to make my .25 Colt Jr. feed correctly. From What I understand feeding seems to be an issue with many .25 ACP pistols, mouse guns or not. The feeding issues seem to be fewer with .22 guns

What is the smallest 22 LR handgun that is suitable for small game hunting? I'm thinking Utility and Survival applications.

I sold my Ruger Bearcat cuz it didn't have adjustable sights.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMtnRunner View Post
    I briefly owned a Ruger LCP 380. While it certainly was easy to have in a pocket, my hand could never get used to shooting the little bugger.........
    I also bought one some time back. It was a POS. I gave it to my cheap brother after I bought a real pocket pistol: a S&W 380 Bodyguard. The Bodyguard has lots of aftermarket parts and accessories available. Mine now sports a short-stroke trigger, big-dot tritium front sight with replacement rear sight, Mag-Guts replacement springs in the magazines that allows another round (for a total of 7+1), and a pinkie-tab extension for full grip. I've timed Buffalo Bore 90 grain HP bullets at an average of 1145 fps, and at 15 yards I can easily put them all in the torso at a fast rate. It feels smooth. I'm not much for the laser, but my first one came with it. I have another down in the Lower 48 without the laser. They are priced great! My laser-less model was purchased at the Cabela's in Anchorage for well under $300. Sights and accessories cost another $250, including the DeSantis pocket holster. As shown in the holster, it weighs exactly 16 oz. Another magazine in my other pocket weighs another 7 oz.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    What is the smallest 22 LR handgun that is suitable for small game hunting?..........
    I carry a S&W 317 in a small gun sock in my daybag. Loaded, it weighs just over 1/2 lb. The sights are adjustable. It has harvested numerous spruce hens, ptarmigan, and hares (not to mention dispatching countless domestic sheep and goats here at home).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by RTaylor View Post
    I carry a S&W 317 in a small gun sock in my daybag. Loaded, it weighs just over 1/2 lb. The sights are adjustable. It has harvested numerous spruce hens, ptarmigan, and hares (not to mention dispatching countless domestic sheep and goats here at home).
    Hmmmmmm, that might just doit.

Thanks, I was unaware of that'un. The barrel could be a little longer, but 3" is OK. I want one.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Thanks Amigo.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

put about 100 rounds through the new NAA .22. this gun's gonna take some getting used to. at about 7-10 yards i needed 4-6 inches of kentucky windage to the right to almost hit what i was aiming at. the elevation was good though. for a mouse gun i really liked the trigger. it was quite a bit of fun to shoot and if it was accurate it would be a favorite. the weight and size are exactly what i'm looking for as i can barely tell i've got it on. just got to figure out how to hit what i'm shooting at

One of the NAA mini's I had, came with a 1 5/8" barrel. I lopped it off with a hacksaw, and installed a shotgun bead for a front sight. Polished the muzzle and did a very minimal chamfer with a dremel stone on the bore. It looked sweet. Both that one, and the factory 1 1/8" model I had would shoot something like 6" 25 or 30 feet. They were pretty neat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast