Thread: Question

Default Question

Other than calling ADFG how do I find out if I can still hunt moose after I successfully filled a draw permit. Specifically the DM410 permit. I did turn in the required paperwork and lower jaw to ADFG today and the guy said I was done for the year but I can't find anything that actually states that. The only thing I found was a statement saying if I shot a moose prior to july 1st I wouldn't be eligible for the DM410 tag. So any advice where to look would be helpful. The calf I took turned out to be a bit small in weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a bit confused on your question, I don't believe there is anywhere in unit 14 that allows someone to harvest more than (1) moose per year. Harvest tag or draw. As the regs state you filled your tag and are done hunting moose for the year. That's how I read the rules anyways....
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

If you look at their definition of bag limit, you will find that the only way you can harvest another animal is if you go to a gmu that allows an annual bag limit of more than 1 animal. You are never allowed to fill a bag limit of 1 in one GMU then go to another GMU and fill it again...your bag follows you wherever you go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Thank you Troy. That is exactly what I was looking for. I've never wanted to hunt the same game twice in a year before now but this definitely answers my question. I have no desire to be greedy but the question was raised when my draw permit says nothing on it about bag limits. I believe that the basics should be stated on a draw permit or registration. Rules change annually and should be easy to understand and locate.

The bag limit rule occasionally catches people. Where most people get bit is if they harvest an animal in a gmu that allows multiple harvests for that species they don't realize that they now have reached their annual bag limit of 1 and cannot hunt that species in any area that has a limit of 1. So if you shoot a black bear in unit 13 with a bag limit of 3 then you cannot go and hunt 14C where there is a limit of 1. Conversely if you kill the bear in 14C first you could still hunt unit 13 and harvest 2 more bears (3 total).

This is just an example, I didn't actually check the current bag limits for the zones in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by overtime View Post
    The calf I took turned out to be a bit small in weight.
    I take it you're just trying to be funny?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Calves are legal in some antlerless hunts. Not sure about 410, but if it was legal quarry, no need to get on the guy over taking a legal animal. One of my students recently took a calf legally. That's got to be tasty, tender meat!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Calves are legal in some antlerless hunts. Not sure about 410, but if it was legal quarry, no need to get on the guy over taking a legal animal. One of my students recently took a calf legally. That's got to be tasty, tender meat!
    No, I actually thought he just meant he shot a smaller bull. Had no idea calves were legal anywhere.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Dm 410 is an antlerless hunt. Calves are legal, even a cow with a calf.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Nope, not trying to be funny. The moose looked larger even after field dressing in comparison to bone in weight.

It doesn't matter, the purpose of the post was to find out where it says I can't hunt anymore. Not trolling....