Thread: The 2016 Meat Bull/Cow Thread....

Default The 2016 Meat Bull/Cow Thread....

Ok, so it's great to see the massive racks of big Bulls but the hunt that results in a Meat Bull can be just as rewarding. Perhaps even more if it's a first for a new hunter, youngster, first bow kill, first hunt with the wifey, etc....or, as in my case this year.... an almost empty freezer! Personally I shoot the first one I can. For moose I hunt an any bull area. I want meat! A big rack is secondary but I won't pass one up.

I know, I know, some guys call the 50+ incher a meat bull but for this thread you know what I mean.
    So let's see those Spike-Forks, Rag Horns, Paddle Bulls, Cows, etc. along with a quick write up.

This one is a special on for me, I've been working on it for a few years. My first Handgun kill. Solo hunt. 500 Linebaugh. Spotted him about a mile away and stalked to 43 yards. This guy had a pretty big body for the size of his rack. I've shot moose with bigger racks and smaller bodies. The freezer is full of half the moose and some others I know now have meat as well! whoohoo!! We're all eatin good this winter!

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

My 2nd nephew got his first moose this fall, hunting on his mother's behalf on a cow tag. He's put in a few years of trying, and while he started to lose a bit of hope at times, he stuck with it and eventually everything came together for him. I was unfortunately not along this day, as my brother was guide for the day, so I don't know the full story. As I understand it, though, the shot was at less than 20 yards on quick notice. Perfect placement with a single shot from his 7mm-08 led to a freezer full of meat for his family.

Congrats Snyd that is great man!!! Well done with the pistol as well!

2016 moose 2.jpg

Any bull area. My 2nd moose since starting to hunt moose last year. Personal longest shot ever on a critter, not one I wanted to take but what can I say I was hungry. It was almost 500 yds. Tried to get closer earlier in the day but tall brush and short hunters are a bad mix. Very large in the front on this guy, much more than last years. He tastes fantastic too. Just made some mississippi roast out of him last night.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

My sons first bull, his second moose

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post

Great JOB!! looks like you got a hunter there now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post

Good for him! He's on his way!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    My 2nd nephew got his first moose this fall, hunting on his mother's behalf on a cow tag. He's put in a few years of trying, and while he started to lose a bit of hope at times, he stuck with it and eventually everything came together for him. I was unfortunately not along this day, as my brother was guide for the day, so I don't know the full story. As I understand it, though, the shot was at less than 20 yards on quick notice. Perfect placement with a single shot from his 7mm-08 led to a freezer full of meat for his family.

Good deal! Brian, is this the same nephew you started hunting rabbits a few years back?

Found a nice little fork horn that begged me for a ride in the raft...

meatmoose.jpg
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Its pretty awesome seeing younger hunters on some critters.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Good deal! Brian, is this the same nephew you started hunting rabbits a few years back?
    No, that nephew is now 17 and a senior in high school. Time hurries on! This is his younger brother. He and I got on some grouse a couple years back, but haven't had a chance to chase hares yet.

[QUOTE=c6 batmobile;1561456]2016 moose 2.jpg

Any bull area. My 2nd moose since starting to hunt moose last year. Personal longest shot ever on a critter, not one I wanted to take but what can I say I was hungry. It was almost 500 yds. Tried to get closer earlier in the day but tall brush and short hunters are a bad mix. Very large in the front on this guy, much more than last years. He tastes fantastic too. Just made some mississippi roast out of him last night.[/QUOTE

Ok, I'll bite. What is Mississippi roast? Always looking for something different.

Mississippi rost
    Ingredients

chuck roast

1 pkg hidden valley ranch dressing mix
    1 pkg mccormick au jus mix
    1 stick butter
    5 pepperoncini peppers

Quote Originally Posted by jbswasilla View Post
    Mississippi rost
    Ingredients

chuck roast

1 pkg hidden valley ranch dressing mix
    1 pkg mccormick au jus mix
    1 stick butter
    5 pepperoncini peppers
    Bingo. This is the best dang roast I have ever eaten. Pair it with some mashed taters and a beer and life is good.

I add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water to it as well so it doesnt get too dry.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.