Thread: Leupold CDS ?

Default Leupold CDS ?

Any of you have any experience or info to share on the Leupold CDS product ?

I am thinking about purchasing a VX3i 3.5 x 10 40mm with CDS for use on a .338 Win. Mag. shooting 210 grain Barnes X TSBT bullets and/or a 30-06 shooting Barnes X 168 grain TSBT bullets.

I have read about this product and talked to the Leupold Custom Shop, but I would like to have first hand info if possible.

I have a few.......Two are Mark 4 and one is a MARK 6.......They all have special reticles that are marked on the reticle out to 900 yards, for this reason I never use the CDS which came on the scopes. I don't think there is anything wrong with them, they do make sighting in a pain, but I learned to just remove the covers/caps till finished. The one risk is that you forget and leave them cranked way up, and way off to the left or right.

Agl4-I think you've got CDS vs BDC. CDS reticles look like normal crosshairs and your adjustment knobs have the yardage marked on them. The knobs are custom for the load you shoot. They work great in theory but differences in temp, humidity, and elevation can make them almost useless.
    Henry Bowman for President

I have the very same scope. I love it!
    Unfortunately I left the gun on my canopy and drove off.
    The rifle was returns to me two weeks ago.
    The scope faired out okay I guess.
    2 big scratches and a small ding.
    I'm curious to see if it's still zeroed. I highly doubt it, but it will be fun to check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh btw
    My turrets hold true from 200yds out to 700yds.
    300 WM w/180 Nosler AB

So is the CDS system reliable and user friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    So is the CDS system reliable and user friendly?
    Oh absolutely
    You just have to do your part in collecting the data.
    Call them up and it will be at your house in a few weeks.
    I think mine took 10 or 12 days.
    I did get the scope with the windplex

I have the CDS on my 308 Winchester, that I have set up for long range shooting(600 yards for me) and it works well enough for the shooting I do. Just need to remember that it is set for one bullet.

So if I understand it correctly I can chronograph a 210 grain X bullet for my .338 Win. Mag. and a 168 grain X bullet for my 30-06 and have a turret made for each load and switch them out for what ever rifle I want to use as long as I zero the scope in each time?

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    So if I understand it correctly I can chronograph a 210 grain X bullet for my .338 Win. Mag. and a 168 grain X bullet for my 30-06 and have a turret made for each load and switch them out for what ever rifle I want to use as long as I zero the scope in each time?
    Absolutely.
    I believe it will cost $40 for a extra turret. You get one free with purchase of scope.

From what I hear from those that use them, they are pleased with them. They are as accurate as the data you provide. The key, I think, is how sure you are in having one trajectory curve. I'm the sort that likes to tinker with bullet selection and wait as long as I can to lock in those inputs before a shot so I've kept my free CDS voucher packed away so far.

During my rifle/scope journey, I have went from basic scopes, to using ballistic turrets.

This is my opinion, the hunting turret scopes, are a great choice for ranges 300 to 700 yards give or take a few yards on either side. Most max out about 700 yards with one rotation. Now I could and did use ranging reticles such as the B&C and rapid Z reticles, most will give you a reference out to 600 or so, but I often got confused once I fired the first shot.

So I like the BT scopes,, I have 3 or 4 Luppy CDSs and they are nice, I like my Z3 and Z5 Swaros better. The Swaros can be custom set for your loads with individual rings or custom caps.

This is my 06 with a CDS

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Well after much research and impatience, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a Leupold VX3i 3,5X10 40 mm with the CDS Wind-plex reticle.
    Optics Planet has them for about $449.00 and I may get a break on the shipping.

Once I get it mounted in quick detach Warne Rings I will shoot the 210 Barnes X TSBT .338 Win. Mag. bullet as fast as I safely can and as far as I can. Which I think should be around 600 yards. Range time will let me know where my limits are with near perfect conditions.

My goal in my hunting career is simple. In 51 Alaskan hunting seasons I have not and never want to loose a wounded big game animal I put a bullet into. Yup, I have passed on a few shots I know a better rifle shot could have made.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    During my rifle/scope journey, I have went from basic scopes, to using ballistic turrets.

This is my opinion, the hunting turret scopes, are a great choice for ranges 300 to 700 yards give or take a few yards on either side. Most max out about 700 yards with one rotation. Now I could and did use ranging reticles such as the B&C and rapid Z reticles, most will give you a reference out to 600 or so, but I often got confused once I fired the first shot.

So I like the BT scopes,, I have 3 or 4 Luppy CDSs and they are nice, I like my Z3 and Z5 Swaros better. The Swaros can be custom set for your loads with individual rings or custom caps.

This is my 06 with a CDS

I have a couple Lupys CDS and they have custom caps with the bullet and velocity imprinted on them and maybe the elevation I gave them if memory serves me... If you change loads all you do is call them and zip out goes a new cap to you...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

This is an option too for the CDS scopes if you like to have several different loads and don't want to drop $40 on a new turret for each one. These are good for deciding which load works best without things getting confusing.
    http://customturretsystems.com/

Hawk45, I will look into the Custom Turrets.

My new CDS scope should be here Monday. I need to load up some ammo and see if the old Pact Chronograph is still working.